Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Problem solving

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:07 am
This is a site I'm working on for my kung fu school: here.

Ignore the lack of good content for the moment; my problem is that as it is, the writing is very hard to read. I've tried changing the background to a lighter colour, tried white, yellow, none of it looks good against the rich red right at the back. I'd prefer not to do a complete redesign, but I'm out of quick fix ideas at the moment sweatdrop Anybody got any ideas?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:38 am
Chisa
This is a site I'm working on for my kung fu school: here.

Ignore the lack of good content for the moment; my problem is that as it is, the writing is very hard to read. I've tried changing the background to a lighter colour, tried white, yellow, none of it looks good against the rich red right at the back. I'd prefer not to do a complete redesign, but I'm out of quick fix ideas at the moment sweatdrop Anybody got any ideas?

Well I wouldnt say that its that hard to read, one of the things that might help is making the text more bold, or stronger, so that it stands out a bit. As it is now the lines in the letters are thin and the red around them is flowing into them, making it harder to read.

You can also try and give the paragraphs backgrounds, the yellow that you are using looks really nice against the black, you can take that yellow put squares of it behind your paragraphs, make it look nice and bring the opacity down so that the red is still visible a bit, I think the Black on yellow will be really easy to read.

What you think? !^-^!  

Poma

K. Ueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:31 am
i honestly don't think it's that hard to read, but reds are hard to work with in such a large quantity. what about trying black or white boxes (solid or even gradient) with the opacity dropped down in place of the lighter red ones and then trying your various font colors. i'd maybe even try a cream color just to keep that nice gold color going. (which might mean adjusting the colors used for links and body text) at the moment that lighter red just doesn't seem right to me...

something else i noticed is that your font choices also seem a bit too random, it looks like you've got 3-4 different fonts and they aren't working that well together. i'd suggest trying to use that font from the banner that says 'Yarn Yee Tong' and use that to make the 'Welcome,' 'news,' and 'sponsors' titles just to bring the design together a little more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:21 pm
Thanks for that guys - and thanks for pointing out the fonts Nyxx, I forgot about that xp I'll make a few adjustments.  

Chisa
Vice Captain

Hizzahn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:05 pm
If you need help with color combinations I'd suggest looking through an idea index. SilverVixen has one and she can tell you more about it. It is essentially hundreds of pages of color swatches and examples of good combinations.
I think the site looks awesome. Good job! This may only be me, since my laptop screen can only be viewed 1280x800, but the page seems rather long. If you use CSS styles you can make independant scroll areas for sites with pages of content. I could make an example if you'd like. Hope I am of some help biggrin Laters!

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games