Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
For Future Reference

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:16 pm
I'm taking introduction to Philosophy next semester, which should prove to be very interesting. When I signed up, I began thinking about what would have happened had I took religious studies, and I went through a series of mental segues that led to me thinking of things religion has failed to accomplish. I remembered that faith did little to prevent the black plague, and it became me trying to determine what science has done by comparison. I came up with the following:

-Invention, militarization, commercialization, and perfection of flight in less than 70 years.
-Birth of avionics, orbital flight, and lunar travel in less than 70 years.
-Vaccination for polio
-Vaccination for smallpox
-Penicillin and other antibiotics
-The invention and perfection of computers and the internet in less than 50 years.

Keep in mind, these are all things from 1900-2000 alone, and I'm curious to find out what others there were in that same timeframe.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:52 pm
The creation of George Carlin? biggrin

You know someone that hilariously bitter and jaded didn't just spurt out of a womb - he's the six million dollar curmudgeon!  

Theophrastus

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:30 pm
yes, mankind has advanced faster in the last 100 or so years than in all of human history before. some say we are advancing faster than we can evolve, which is what is bringing on things like global warming and over population. Still, way back in the dark ages when whole populations were dying due to plague I would think people wouldve questioned if they're really special to some god that supposedly loves them.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:49 pm
The heavy publication of a loving God image is a rather recent creation. The Dark Ages and most of the Middle Ages were dominated by terrifying images of a vindictive God who was only held at bay by the pleading of his son Jesus.

Once people realized that was crock pot terrorism they decided "******** it." Not surprisingly, the Age of Enlightenment came shortly thereafter.

So the church adapted to a loving God who agrees with reason as their promo image. Though even that breaks down under scrutiny.  

Theophrastus

Calypsophia

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:35 pm
Theophrastus
The heavy publication of a loving God image is a rather recent creation. The Dark Ages and most of the Middle Ages were dominated by terrifying images of a vindictive God who was only held at bay by the pleading of his son Jesus.

Once people realized that was crock pot terrorism they decided "******** it." Not surprisingly, the Age of Enlightenment came shortly thereafter.

So the church adapted to a loving God who agrees with reason as their promo image. Though even that breaks down under scrutiny.

Religious people did back then what they still tend to do now... they draw on whatever vision of god would best suit their needs. when people need god to be loving, they draw on his alleged mercyful side. when they're at war or otherwise pissed off they draw on his vengeful side. In truth, god has to be the oldest case of schizophrenia I've ever heard of. Either that, or the worst case of bipolar disorder the world has ever known.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 am
lilraine
Religious people did back then what they still tend to do now... they draw on whatever vision of god would best suit their needs. when people need god to be loving, they draw on his alleged mercyful side. when they're at war or otherwise pissed off they draw on his vengeful side. In truth, god has to be the oldest case of schizophrenia I've ever heard of. Either that, or the worst case of bipolar disorder the world has ever known.

It's funny you mention that, because in General Psych last year, we were talking about possible early cases of schizophrenia and mental instability, and the topic of Legion came up. People up through even the middle ages believed that insanity was caused by demons and evil spirits (at least for the most part...there were of course those revolutionary thinkers who did think that there was something wrong with their brains and not their souls), and that's probably one of the biggest reasons that religion is a detriment to human progress.

The archaic belief in the immortal soul still lingers in today's society. For example, there is no medical reason you should not wake a sleepwalker. This myth came about during the middle ages, when people believed that a sleeping person's soul was separate from their body. If you woke a sleepwalker, the soul may not be able to find its way back. Covering your mouth when you yawn is also part of the same category of mythology...people believed your soul would escape if you didn't cover it.  

ProjectOmicron88

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:55 pm
Like Theo said,

I do remember that up until about the Renaissance and the Reformation, the image of God was that of a violent and vengeful god. Which is probably why nobody really questioned the kindness of God during the plague, cuz they were too busy praying and repenting in hopes that God would spare them. Afterward, when a great number of people said goodbye to the Church, the Church decided to lure people back by turning God into a loving God, which would prove that God is a man made creation since he just went from mad and vengeful to peaceful and loving.

Also, as a side note, there are A LOT of places in the Bible that show this change. I think there are like 2-3 dozen passages in the Bible where it says that. Go here if you want to see:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.html  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:01 am
I rather enjoy philosophy. My philosophy professor in college was a Creationist. 4laugh But he was actually my favorite professor, 'cause I could have deep, meaningful conversations with him, and he wasn't out to convert anybody.

I think you'll like it. Most of the atheists I know love philosophy. I think it's because we're generally more open minded and less prone to being offended.

Good luck to you. I hope you enjoy it! heart  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers