Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Right to Bear Arms Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should the public have access to fire arms?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:04 pm
That part of the constitution was written in a time when there was no real police force. There was a need for a man to be able to defend his family. In the modern age there is not.

If the defender is likely to have a gun ,the criminal will certainly take one with them. If they are likely not to have a gun, then criminal has no need to pay for one, when a simple bat will suffice.

Either way, there is no direct correlation between the legality of guns and crime rates. If there is a large crime rate, at best the guns will deal with a symptom, not the causes of crime. Mostly poverty and social alienation.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:41 am
It is our constitutional right and our basic right as humans to bear arms. I do not like guns, but what happens if the government turns on us? They already have in fact with The Patriot Act, which is actually very anti-patriotic.

If you end up in the streets of L.A. or Chicago, you'll want a gun.

You can call the police and government against a gang member or gunwielding psycho killer, but who do you call against the Police and Government?

also

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Secondly, Don't give away any of your rights! It is OUR rights! If you give the government your rights, they will never give it back.  

Misumi Kuro

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:53 pm
Misumi Kuro
It is our constitutional right and our basic right as humans to bear arms. I do not like guns, but what happens if the government turns on us? They already have in fact with The Patriot Act, which is actually very anti-patriotic.

If you end up in the streets of L.A. or Chicago, you'll want a gun.

You can call the police and government against a gang member or gunwielding psycho killer, but who do you call against the Police and Government?

also

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Secondly, Don't give away any of your rights! It is OUR rights! If you give the government your rights, they will never give it back.

Idunno, brother. My (proverbial) Smith and Wesson six shooter won't do much good against my government's RPGs, urban wheeled tanks and EMP devices. So for me it's about protecting myself from predatory humans on the personal scale. But I do support it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:27 pm
ive been around guns all my life, and i must say guns dont kill people, people kill people.  

rion kioji

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:33 pm
rion kioji
ive been around guns all my life, and i must say guns dont kill people, people kill people.

And people with guns kill people much more easily than people without.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:27 am
Redem
rion kioji

And people with guns kill people much more easily than people without.

Then I guess we should outlaw hammers and chairs, pool balls, wooden 2x4's.

You see how ridiculous this gets? Compared to the 6Billion and a half people in the world, the gun is the least of your deathly worries. It helps to have a gun for protection from harm and the government. Do not give away your rights.

Who shoots people with guns? Gang members shoot gang members with guns, which steadily decreases the gang member population. If you ban guns then people will die a lot easier. Want to know the most unsafe places? Gun Free zones because no one will have one. Columbine, Virginia Tech, shall I continue? If someone's got a gun there is a less likely chance that they will dare go after you.

Watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit on Gun Control.  

Misumi Kuro

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:12 pm
In 1997 over there were around 250 reported gunpoint robberies in Ireland, where gun control is very strict.

There were about 590 robberies reported which used a hypodermic syringe as the weapon.

Criminals will always find a way. Guns are a convenient tool for safety or terror, but they're certainly not the only one.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:51 pm
Theophrastus
In 1997 over there were around 250 reported gunpoint robberies in Ireland, where gun control is very strict.

There were about 590 robberies reported which used a hypodermic syringe as the weapon.

Criminals will always find a way. Guns are a convenient tool for safety or terror, but they're certainly not the only one.

But they are the only common one who's only purpose is killing.

Misumi Kuro
Then I guess we should outlaw hammers and chairs, pool balls, wooden 2x4's.

All of which have other, non-murderous, purposes.

Misumi Kuro
Who shoots people with guns? Gang members shoot gang members with guns, which steadily decreases the gang member population.

Oh that's a GREAT reason for allowing them. And kinda goes against your previous statement, that anything can be used to kill, if that is the goal.

Misumi Kuro
If you ban guns then people will die a lot easier. Want to know the most unsafe places? Gun Free zones because no one will have one. Columbine, Virginia Tech, shall I continue?

The most unsafe places are not gun-free ones. They're the ones where people can easily get a hold of weapons. Like the US. Columbine et all are rare events. If anyone was allowed a gun into schools, the death rate would be far above those few incidents.

Misumi Kuro
Watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit on Gun Control.

Seen it.  

Redem

Misumi Kuro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:28 pm
But they are the only common one who's only purpose is killing.

Well someone can use a hammer or a cane for the purpose of killing. And People need to go through a background check and need a lisence before they can legally own a gun. It is not THAT common.

-
All of which have other, non-murderous, purposes.

The gun can be used for other purposes besides killing. But the reason for it is to Protect, not murder. People who intend to murder are the murderers. Guns do not have brains and do not desire to kill it is the human that does.

-
Oh that's a GREAT reason for allowing them. And kinda goes against your previous statement, that anything can be used to kill, if that is the goal.

It's not it just means gang members are violent and will be violent gun or no gun. You're not safe anywhere so it doesn't really matter. Gun just means you're far more protected than you would be with a cellphone.

-
The most unsafe places are not gun-free ones. They're the ones where people can easily get a hold of weapons. Like the US. Columbine et all are rare events. If anyone was allowed a gun into schools, the death rate would be far above those few incidents.

If someone say a cop had a gun in the school then the kids went on a murder spree would be easily subdued. Death will happen if someone goes into the school with the intent on killing, Gun or No Gun.

-
Seen it.

Watch it again.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:59 pm
Misumi Kuro
Well someone can use a hammer or a cane for the purpose of killing.

Yes, and as I already said, they have other purposes, guns do not.

Misumi Kuro

And People need to go through a background check and need a lisence before they can legally own a gun. It is not THAT common.

Common enough, and they're not exactly hard to pass.

Misumi Kuro

The gun can be used for other purposes besides killing. But the reason for it is to Protect, not murder. People who intend to murder are the murderers. Guns do not have brains and do not desire to kill it is the human that does.

Guns can be used for two things. Killing/maiming, or training yourself to kill/maim by target shooting.

Misumi Kuro
It's not it just means gang members are violent and will be violent gun or no gun. You're not safe anywhere so it doesn't really matter.

So why make it easy for them to get the MOST deadly weapons?

Misumi Kuro

If someone say a cop had a gun in the school then the kids went on a murder spree would be easily subdued. Death will happen if someone goes into the school with the intent on killing, Gun or No Gun.

There were no cops there until afterwards. And there wouldn't likely be when they began killing, so it's a moot point.

Misumi Kuro
Watch it again.

Why? The main thing it really does is discuss the current legality, not the utility of making it illegal.  

Redem

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces