Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Left Behind: Eternal Forces

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:53 pm
I just downloaded and played the demo of Left Behind: Eternal Forces. Why? Because I'm a gamer before all else.

From that standpoint, let me give you some other reasons to steer clear of even playing the demo, beyond the obvious. First of all, the graphics were outdated in 2000. They're extraordinarily bland. Second, the controls are clunky and far from fluid...not to mention unit creation and movement AI having the same problems. Third, half the game involves converting the other side using Musicians. This is supposed to be an RTS. You can make one type of combat unit. Only one friggin' type: a soldier. That's about it. It hardly lends variety to the game, and the unit responses get old fast. (Units often respond with "Praise the Lord!" when told to do something as insignificant as moving.)

Now, from an atheist standpoint, it's poorly-written fiction at best. Which seems fitting, since it is based off a book series of the same name. It's blatant propaganda at worst. In-game advertisements for the U.S. Army certainly don't add a lot of neutrality to the game, and it's obvious from each unit's Life Story that it's intended to appeal to the player, saying "Joe Doe was an average man like you until he lost faith and was stranded on Earth after the Rapture". Basically, what you'd expect from a Christian game. The clincher? Your enemies are nonbelievers and followers of the Antichrist. And you shoot them and pray for their souls.

If I wanted a game where I was forced to side with God, I'd play Doom 3. At least that way I get to cut zombies up with a chainsaw.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:28 pm
I remember watching that game get reviewed on X-Play. (I'm a gamer!dork) I think it got a one out five? Two at best. The scenery looked really repetitive and... from what I can remember, so did all the people.

If I had any desire to play the game for kicks and giggles, I lost that desire when I saw it on X-Play. I'm picky when it comes to graphics and plotline. And it sounds like that game didn't have much of either.

Pmyi

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:56 pm
Worth it just to see Christians praying for each other to burst into flames turned into an RTS.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:34 am
Pmyi
I remember watching that game get reviewed on X-Play. (I'm a gamer!dork) I think it got a one out five? Two at best. The scenery looked really repetitive and... from what I can remember, so did all the people.

If I had any desire to play the game for kicks and giggles, I lost that desire when I saw it on X-Play. I'm picky when it comes to graphics and plotline. And it sounds like that game didn't have much of either.

"Repetitive" is a good way of describing it. Take everything Zero Hour did right with garrisonable buildings, environmental diversity, civilian diversity, and civilian AI, and turn it around, and you pretty much have a game of LB:EF.  

ProjectOmicron88

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:20 pm
Well, i'm lucky i won't get to play that game then. Besides, it already sounded like crap before they published it. But, on the other "hand" God's Hand looks pretty freaking cool. I don't mind kicking a** with god's hand. It's the kicking a** part that makes up for it... and that looks gooood. (or at least "ok")  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 pm
AnonymouZ
Well, i'm lucky i won't get to play that game then. Besides, it already sounded like crap before they published it. But, on the other "hand" God's Hand looks pretty freaking cool. I don't mind kicking a** with god's hand. It's the kicking a** part that makes up for it... and that looks gooood. (or at least "ok")

Fictional gods, fictional demons...has nothing to do with Christianity. I've beaten it twice. It's a very fun game, but not a whole lot of replay value.  

ProjectOmicron88

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:53 am
That's a pretty old game actually. It got a 1 out of 5 on X-play.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:48 pm
Thanks. mrgreen

This just confirms that the game is as crappily written as the books-- and I did give the books a try, 'cause the whole Rapture plotline thingie intrigues me. But, alas, the entire book is ********. Probably the worst thing I've seen published-- even worse than Laurell K. Hamilton's books.

Those four years of going to college for a degree in creative writing have ruined me. twisted

The character development is AMAZING, though. rofl  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:56 pm
Meirelle
Thanks. mrgreen

This just confirms that the game is as crappily written as the books-- and I did give the books a try, 'cause the whole Rapture plotline thingie intrigues me. But, alas, the entire book is ********. Probably the worst thing I've seen published-- even worse than Laurell K. Hamilton's books.

Those four years of going to college for a degree in creative writing have ruined me. twisted

The character development is AMAZING, though. rofl

Don't tell me....they all find God?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:12 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Can you shoot up the tribulation saints?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Baron von Turkeypants

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff