Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So I'm having an argument about God (long read) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:10 am
Baron von Turkeypants
Her:
i have an argument against your arguement against god.
so in saying there is no god you are acknowledging the possiblity of something called a god, you are associating the word "god" with something...whether that be a higher deity or a scary father-figure with thunderbolts. by associating the word you are affirming the existence.
of course this doesnt work because we all know that unicorns dont exist but we still have a word for them.
but it sounded good at first, yeah?

Um...did she just destroy her own argument?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:35 am
ProjectOmicron88
Amanda Huggenkiss
i dont believe there is a guy sitting up in the sky, or in any tribal god, or anything like that. im talking about an ulitimate reality.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It is the Force you feel, flowing through you.

AWESOME. Awesome to the max. Anyways, the whole force of the universe thing means, that if she believes it, she is a pantheist, or in Dawkins' term where pantheism is "sexed up atheism".  

Death God Hitsugaya

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:08 pm
Death God Hitsugaya
ProjectOmicron88
Amanda Huggenkiss
i dont believe there is a guy sitting up in the sky, or in any tribal god, or anything like that. im talking about an ulitimate reality.

It is the Force you feel, flowing through you.

AWESOME. Awesome to the max. Anyways, the whole force of the universe thing means, that if she believes it, she is a pantheist, or in Dawkins' term where pantheism is "sexed up atheism".

I'm not quite sure I understand completely the concept of pantheism. If it operates under the premise that everything in the universe abides by unbreakable laws, then I could see it working, but I don't know what the premise is.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:40 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Baron von Turkeypants
Her:
so in saying there is no god you are acknowledging the possiblity of something called a god, you are associating the word "god" with something...whether that be a higher deity or a scary father-figure with thunderbolts. by associating the word you are affirming the existence.
of course this doesnt work because we all know that unicorns dont exist but we still have a word for them.

She said the equivalent of, 'This bread is white because we call it white. If we cease to call it white it is no longer 'white bread'. Therefor it does not exist.'

I think she might have divided by zero. gonk  

Covered-Up Boxers

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 pm
Covered-Up Boxers
ProjectOmicron88
Baron von Turkeypants
Her:

She said the equivalent of, 'This bread is white because we call it white. If we cease to call it white it is no longer 'white bread'. Therefor it does not exist.'

I think she might have divided by zero. gonk

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff