Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Ten Commandments (of the Ethical Atheist) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Arios V
ProjectOmicron88
No offense, but I liked George Carlin's list better.

1.) Thou shalt always be honest and faithful.
2.) Thou shalt try really hard not to kill anyone.

In his words, "Two is all you need, Moses coulda carried 'em down the hill in his ********' pocket, and I would have no problem with those folks in Alabama putting it up in the courthouse, provided they added one additional commandment..."

3.) Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

Oh, and God bless Joe Pesci. razz

I do like these more than the 10 commandments, but I really don't care. It's all common sense

You'd be surprised to find how many people genuinely lack common sense. My brother is one of them. He's not religious, he just has a tendency to be dishonest a lot of the time...he's a really bad liar, too razz

I know. You should meet half the people that went to my school or came into my shop when I was working. Most of those people had little if any common sense. They apparently don't seem to get the "You break it, you bought it" thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:44 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

I don't know about eradication. The soviets tried that. It's impossible to take the people's religion from them. Entirely, at least.

What would work better is to simply take away it's seat in science and politics. That much can eventually be done without outrage, and then, needless bloodshed and hatred.

That's one of the most elegant statements I've ever seen you make.  

Theophrastus

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:24 pm
I nominate Dawkin's book: The God Delusion to be our version of the bible. And I agree, so very many people lack common sense, which makes me cry inside (but laugh on the outside, cause it's kinda funny in a sad, "This World is So Screwed" kind of way)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:55 pm
Death God Hitsugaya
I nominate Dawkin's book: The God Delusion to be our version of the bible. And I agree, so very many people lack common sense, which makes me cry inside (but laugh on the outside, cause it's kinda funny in a sad, "This World is So Screwed" kind of way)

Speaking of The God Delusion, today as I was wandering through the bookstore, I saw a book on the shelf called "The Dawkins Delusion". It's basically they're response to Dawkins book and was written by Alister McGrath, a Christian Theologian who also happens to teach at Oxford University.  

Arios V

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces