Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Favorite Atheist Literature Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Person counter.
  + 1
View Results

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:20 pm
Also, am I the only one who thinks Dave Chappelle does a better white man voice than most white men?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:22 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
That makes no sense.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:43 am
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
That makes no sense.
ni el dinero ni el amor

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=896674544

This is what I mean.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:16 am
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
I'll tell you what isn't my favorite. The Stranger. He makes atheists look like assholes in that.
ni el dinero ni el amor

Agreed. The Stranger just made me feel numb and empty upon finishing it... I felt like justice and value and sense were all just illusions. It made me sad. neutral  

reverie0312

reverie0312

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:17 am
ProjectOmicron88
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I love that book, but I've never actually read any of the sequels. I probably should.

Read it, and you'll see what I mean by "atheist literature". It presents the reader with a view of the universe that, contrary to what we'd all like to believe about existence, is extraordinarily silly and nonsensical. Douglas Adams himself was a self-described "radical atheist".

I love Douglas Adams.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:23 am
Les Adieux
Yes, those are some great choices. Honestly, I think if someone proclaims themself an atheist, they have some general idea of what they're talking about. We don't need a bible. That's what Science class is for. wink

I agree. No need for a big book of absolute truth.

Now, a nice little collection of philosophical and scientific articles, essays refuting arguments for God, a few autobiographical essays detailing key aspects of individual atheists' lives, and a couple of "How To" papers on things like dealing with rabid Christians or suing public institutions that are hung up on religion, ranging from the oldest "atheist" documents we have to modern folks, that would be excellent. An atheist Bible, it would be, but one recognized for what it was: a collection of works from various genres of literature, all written exclusively by human beings for human beings, with a specific agenda.

That would be cool.  

reverie0312

Rohkaze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:04 am
I think any religious text is good literature for atheists. Really, truly, and honestly. I mean, if you actually sit down and read the Bible, for example, fully consider what it is saying, and don't end up an atheist, I think that would be pretty amazing.

For certain, my own path to atheism was greatly eased by the utter bulls*** that is religion and superstitious belief in the supernatural. If religion had been significantly more reasonable, I might still be in a church or believe in hocus pocus and fairy tales. Thank goodness for the ubiquitous insanity of religious texts.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
K-PAX series.  

Misumi Kuro

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:15 am
que me gusta lo mejor
I haven't read K-Pax, but I liked the movie. Kevin Spacey is a good actor.
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:46 am
Rohkaze
I think any religious text is good literature for atheists. Really, truly, and honestly. I mean, if you actually sit down and read the Bible, for example, fully consider what it is saying, and don't end up an atheist, I think that would be pretty amazing.

For certain, my own path to atheism was greatly eased by the utter bulls*** that is religion and superstitious belief in the supernatural. If religion had been significantly more reasonable, I might still be in a church or believe in hocus pocus and fairy tales. Thank goodness for the ubiquitous insanity of religious texts.

I know exactly what you mean. I am surrounded by religious teaching all day at the school I go to and to be honest I feel that really seeing those religions in depth has given me even more of a reason to be an Atheist. I mean to really see and ask questions about these religions only to be given shady answers at best has really been revealing in my choice to become an Atheist.  

55may55

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:04 am
55may55
I mean to really see and ask questions about these religions only to be given shady answers at best has really been revealing in my choice to become an Atheist.

I'm glad that you can be encouraged by it. Just having an answer at all is often more than the religious can do. A solid, reasonable answer, not, "It's mysteeeeerious!"  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:49 am
Richard Dawkins'

The God Delusion

http://richarddawkins.net/

A must read. Ammo for the Atheists. Faith-buster for the Theists.  

GreenMagi

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:05 pm
I don't really have any Atheists Literature but I am currently reading a funny little book called "The Atheists bible".

I just got my hands on it today. If you can, I think it would be helpful to read not just books catering towards Atheism, but books catering towards theists who need to be assured that Atheists are wrong.

I plan to get a few in the future, but it is something to point out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:55 pm
I'm not reading anything right now, but I adore Nietzsche. If he counts. o.o Dawkins is interesting as well.  

Kurai Keiro

Harvested Sorrow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:56 pm
I'll state that out of the 'New Atheist Movement' I REALLY love Sam Harris' work. The man is a genius, his two books are great, and I also tend to seek out his interviews since he does quite well in those.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff