Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
The Science of H2G2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:52 am
Has anyone other than me read The Science of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Michael Hanlon? I found it very interesting.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:40 am
Hey, I've heard of that book! I'm lying, but... gonk

What's it about? (Other than the obvious of course.)  

Clockwork Sun

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:15 am
It is about exactly what you think it's about. It discusses the various somewhat scientific aspects of H2G2 and their places in modern (and future) technology- for instance, there's a chapter on genetically modified food that's comparing it to the bovine-ish animal in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and there's a chapter of supercomputers, comparing them to Deep Thought and so on.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:25 pm
Oh, that's cool. 3nodding

And what do you mean "bovine-ish?" That was just a plain cow. Albeit, it was a cow that would happily die for your food (and kill himself in the most humane way possible), but a cow nontheless.  

Clockwork Sun

Super Nova Star Dust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:29 am
How large is this book?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:34 pm
Super Nova Star Dust
How large is this book?

lol, The basis on whether or not it shalt be read. I'm sorry I just found that funny rofl

I really wanted that book, but I'm working on so many books now so theres no use in buying it any time soon.  

Super Radical

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:41 pm
Doubtful Salmon
Super Nova Star Dust
How large is this book?

lol, The basis on whether or not it shalt be read. I'm sorry I just found that funny rofl

I really wanted that book, but I'm working on so many books now so theres no use in buying it any time soon.

Ditto. I'm swamped.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:49 pm
Did they say anything about the fifth dimension in that book?  

Masterlike

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:44 pm
The book is not very long. And I believe it does have something about the fifth dimension (but I can't be too sure if it was that book or another one  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:10 am
I have to practically dive through the huge piles of books in my room to get to my bed so... I guess it'll be a while until I can read it gonk  

Merlinssister

Introducing_emy

800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:36 pm
Ooo! I remember seeing this book in the stores. If I remember correctly there was a particularly interesting section on the science behind the babelfish. Don't ask. I have some strange obsession with those cute little guys. 3nodding  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games