Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Do we at least respect other religions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I Was The Moon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 pm
Hey everybody! (I'm new.)

Here in Utah, almost everybody is Mormon. People will actually assume you're Mormon from the moment they meet you without getting to know you first.

Anyway, so before our opening performance in the school musical, everybody was going to have a prayer. I did what I always do in such situations.

Mormons fold their arms, but I'm a baptized Catholic, so i always learned to clasp my hands. So that's what I do, even though I don't practice Catholicism. Then I'm just quiet and respectful while the others pray to their imaginary friend in the sky.

If I was asked to start a prayer, I would politely tell them that I'm an Atheist. There's nothing wrong with that, and I shouldn't be ashamed of my beliefs. All of the people I've met so far haven't taken it in stride emotionally, but they weren't rude about it and simply asked somebody else to start the prayer.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:55 pm
I believe that as each human has a mind, they each have a right to make their own uninformed decision. The only time I don't respect someone's religious choice is when they are merely choosing that particular faith because they're just following others blindly. However, religion ITSELF I don't really have much respect for. The Catholic religion in particular is very good at making people hate themselves as well as become pissed at god. Getting pissed isn't going to solve anything, researching and forming an educated decision is.  

Chaindoll Massacre

lyodpdl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:09 pm
In most situations, I make the motions but don't close my eyes. I like to look at people while they pray. It's sort of interesting to see how many of them have looks of sincere concentration and how many have serene looks.

I have been in situations where people were obnoxious about my being an atheist. In high school, our choir had a large dinner and one of the parents (who knew that I was firmly nonreligious) looked at me and said, loudly and rudely, that they were going to pray now--if that was all right with me. I just smiled and said that it was fine, because I was going to eat my food now.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:33 am
lyodpdl
In most situations, I make the motions but don't close my eyes. I like to look at people while they pray. It's sort of interesting to see how many of them have looks of sincere concentration and how many have serene looks.

I have been in situations where people were obnoxious about my being an atheist. In high school, our choir had a large dinner and one of the parents (who knew that I was firmly nonreligious) looked at me and said, loudly and rudely, that they were going to pray now--if that was all right with me. I just smiled and said that it was fine, because I was going to eat my food now.

So... you ate while they were praying? rofl rofl rofl  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:22 pm
lyodpdl

Haha, snackin' while they pray, eh? Cute.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff