Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Craftin' has corrupted me again! (3 images) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spin spin spin!
  Full of win!
View Results

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:06 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Those are my newly made drop spindles. x3 The one on the left is a high whorl, and is waiting for the drill battery to recharge so I can drill a pilot hole for the hook. The one on the right is a low whorl. (as if any spinner wouldn't know this by looking at them. xd )

And for those who are wondering, I bought all supplies at Hobby Lobby, grand total of $12.02. I also have supplies to make two more. X3 I bought a bag of pre-cut, pre-sanded (though I still sanded everything down a bit more) dowels that were 12" long and 3/8" diameter. the whorls are toy wheels that are 2 & 1/2" diameter with a 3/8" diameter hole. I bought wood glue but didn't need it as the dowel fit very tightly into the wheels. the cup hooks are 3/4 inch brass. Now..... to wait until I can afford this delicious looking bamboo fiber. [1] [2]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:46 pm
I don't spin; why did you make two different kinds of spindles? What does the difference mean?  

knitting_needle_ninja

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:52 pm
You spin? I want to spin.... i don't really have much in the way of supplies though... I have a drop-spindle thingy that my friend gave me. Its a low whorl, and she mentioned that its kinda heavy. Do you have any advice for a newbie spinner?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:54 pm
Good thinking to sand the spindle somthing extra- I might go ahead and paint the wood or give it a coat of mineral oil, just to make sure it's extra smooth. There are two things that are supremely un-fun when spinning- getting a splinter or having your fibre snag on your spindle.

Kochi-mochi- My advice would be to be patient with yourself, becasue your first yarn will be all different sorts of thicknesses.  

Blue-eyes-green

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:48 pm
Wow so many replies. x3

Nina
First, I've never spun ever in my life, but I REALLY wanted to, so my darling hubby fed my craft addiction and gave me the ok (he brings home all the monies, so I like to have his approval before going on crafting sprees. X3) to get what I needed to make spindles. I made two different ones so that when I do start spinning I have options. As far as I know the only difference is how they spin. I've been told you roll the high whorl off the inside of your thigh, and you spin the low whorl like a top. X3 That's all I know right now. xd

Kochi
I want to spin. S'why I made the spindles. x3 But I have to wait until money from hubby's football refereeing starts coming in to buy fibers And sadly no advice as I myself am a newbie spinner.

Blue-eyes-green
Yes, splinters suck. What kind of paint would you recommend? Ooo mineral oil.... I think I have some of that, and it would give it such a nice shine.... I can image getting your freshly spun yarn snagged on rough spots is very un-fun.

*wanders off to find the mineral oil*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:50 pm
My advice to a newbie spinner is: The Park and Draft method is your friend. 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:39 pm
New picture! After a second light sanding, and a good coat of mineral oil. :3 Don't they look yummy? I heart the color on the whorls.
Both
Close up of low whorl
Peppermint
What's park and draft? Any videos/tutorials you could share?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:33 pm
They look very very cool! I have been wanting to make some spindles for some time - you'll have to update us on how well they work!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:27 pm
Azure
Sure thing! Making them was super simple. 3nodding *is itchy to get her hands on some fibers* x3 I'm addicted and haven't even started yet. xd

On a side note, I've enlisted the help of my Daddy to make a spinning wheel. x3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:42 pm
Gensei Kitsune

"Park and draft" would be when you when you spin the fiber, so there's lot's of spin to be released, and then you "park" the spindle, (like in your knees or some thing like that) and draft the fiber out wile the spindle is sitting there. once you get good, you can just stand and let the spindle spin wile your drafting... but seeing as how your just starting, I would go with the park and draft. 3nodding

the only thing I can say is, don't try and get grate right away and try and get the most consistante yarn you can... just have fun. I know people who don't spin, cuss they can't make their yarn like store bought yarn... the idea is that your making your own yarn, and though it will get much more consistent with time, know that your first bits of yarn that you make are really cool in of themself's. 3nodding  

Lee Kushrenada

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 am
Oooooh! Those turned out so pretty! I love the color on the whorls. At this point I think they're far too pretty to paint, but if you ever do decide to paint, I think a semi-glossy latex or latex and a coat of acrylic lacqure would be best.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 am
Lee
Ahhh. Thank you for explaining that for me. :3
I think the best part about handspun yarns is that they don't look like stuff you would normally find in the store. 3nodding

Blue-eyes-green
I know! The whorls are my favorite part. After a night of drying the color has faded quite a bit. I think a second coat of oil is going to go on, but other than that, I think the whorls are to pretty to cover up with paint. whee

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:05 am
Gensei Kitsune

Peppermint
This is where I learned how to park and draft.

http://www.ispindle.com/parkdraft.htm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:09 pm
Peppermint Elf
This is where I learned how to park and draft.

http://www.ispindle.com/parkdraft.htm

Ooo! Thank you for the link. biggrin

Kitsaria

Beloved Friend

5,400 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

ellayaxP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:36 am
Ive only heard of spinning but never tried it..it seems so cool tho!! Guess it time to try!  
Craftin'

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff