Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist Characters In Television Shows! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:52 pm
Welcome to The TV Show Thread!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Well, I think you all get the idea. This is a place where you can talk about your favorite TV shows SO LONG as they are not Anime. There already is a thread for that.

-The List-
  • Dr. Cox - Scrubs [Confirmed]
  • Dr. Gregory House - House [Confirmed]
  • Homer Simpson - The Simpsons [Debatable]
  • Bender - Futurama [Confirmed]
  • Brian (the dog) - Family Guy [Confirmed]
  • Tommy Gavin - Rescue Me [Confirmed]
  • Dr. Temperance Brennan - Bones [Confirmed]
  • Zack Addy - Bones [When not in front of his mother]

Dathu once
Anyway, my reason for making this thread is to bring to light my favorite, and possibly only, Atheist TV Personality: Dr. Cox!

As far as I know, he is the first main hero-type to be a full blown and proud Atheist, and I ********' LOVE'M! He cracks me up, and he almost always sees through the BS, and has sound advice. And that's why I love scrubs.

~~~~~- So, anyone got a favorite TV Show?

~~~~~- Anyone know of any other Atheist TV personalities that aren't portrayed as bad guys or troubled?

~~~~~- Anyone at all?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:40 pm
Wait a minute, you bring up the topic of Atheist doctors without mentioning House?!?

User Image

Nonono, House, don't take it so seriously...

User Image

No, House, wait, come back! Nobody meant to exclude you, you're just too serious at times for some people! Nonono, you're funny too! Wait! House...

You know, I really hope you're happy doing this to him. Do you know what it takes to break this man? He may not have been the first Atheist doctor to hit TV, but dammit, he's in the top 2!  

PrezarioKaiser

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:54 pm
You're right. "House" did look too serious for me. I usually don't like hospital shows cause the drama makes my a**s bleed, hence, I don't like "Gray's Anatomy." Scrubs I watched because of the slapstick humor. But it's nice to know there are more Atheist main characters. I wonder if they're all doctors because a lot of people in the medical field tend to be religiously ambiguous? question  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm
Dathu
You're right. "House" did look too serious for me. I usually don't like hospital shows cause the drama makes my a**s bleed, hence, I don't like "Gray's Anatomy." Scrubs I watched because of the slapstick humor. But it's nice to know there are more Atheist main characters. I wonder if they're all doctors because a lot of people in the medical field tend to be religiously ambiguous? question

Grey's Anatomy is geared more towards women, it seems to me. I love House specifically because of the drama. I'm a sucker for the tragic hero.

Also, I always thought House was funnier and more awesome than Dr. Cox. Who else but Dr. Gregory House would try to find out whether it's safe to do an MRI on a bullet wound patient by shooting a corpse with the same type of bullet, then seeing if an MRI would pull it out? (It did, and he broke the MRI because the bullet got sucked up and punched through the machine...wicked.)  

ProjectOmicron88

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm
I loved that episode where his sister came to visit. I only wish the ending came out a bit different... -stares vacantly into space-  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:19 pm
CaprinaePsi
I loved that episode where his sister came to visit. I only wish the ending came out a bit different... -stares vacantly into space-

Yeah, I loved it when he got all pissed off at that Jehovah's Witness cause she wouldn't do a blood transfusion. I feel like blowing up like that sometimes too. blaugh  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:23 pm
Dathu
CaprinaePsi

Yeah, I loved it when he got all pissed off at that Jehovah's Witness cause she wouldn't do a blood transfusion. I feel like blowing up like that sometimes too. blaugh

I don't bother getting angry when people don't do things that will help just because of religion. I just laugh, laugh laugh... kind of like with Scientology.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:35 am
It's not official but I'm pretty sure Homer Simpson is an atheist. He at least doesn't believe in Jeebus.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:13 pm
Fenky
It's not official but I'm pretty sure Homer Simpson is an atheist. He at least doesn't believe in Jeebus.

No, he's just a crappy Christian. There was an episode where he predicted the "apocalypse" by using the bible, though, so he's definitely not an atheist... just really ******** stupid.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:16 pm
CaprinaePsi
Fenky

No, he's just a crappy Christian. There was an episode where he predicted the "apocalypse" by using the bible, though, so he's definitely not an atheist... just really ******** stupid.

When he accidently became a missionary he said he didn't even believe in Jeebus. And when he became a genius he proved there was no god and handed out flyers. I think Marge just makes him go to church.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:18 pm
CaprinaePsi
Fenky

Yeah, but you know, I do remember an episode where it turned out that the reason he was so dumb was because of a crayon that got shoved into his brain when he was a little kid, and when they removed it, he became extremely smart. When he was smart he went up to Flanders and said something like "I was doing some long division and and accidentally discovered an equation that proves there's no god." Heh, so then Flanders reads it sees that he was right and begins burning, but then the camera pans over and Homer has a huge stack of them and is putting them in everybody's windshield. So you could say that, at least for one episode, that Homer is/was Atheist.

Edit:

I found it! Thank the heavens for youtube!

~~~~~http://youtube.com/watch?v=CCIfZ77owno  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 pm
Dathu
CaprinaePsi
Fenky

Yeah, but you know, I do remember an episode where it turned out that the reason he was so dumb was because of a crayon that got shoved into his brain when he was a little kid, and when they removed it, he became extremely smart. When he was smart he went up to Flanders and said something like "I was doing some long division and and accidentally discovered an equation that proves there's no god." Heh, so then Flanders reads it sees that he was right and begins burning, but then the camera pans over and Homer has a huge stack of them and is putting them in everybody's windshield. So you could say that, at least for one episode, that Homer is/was Atheist.

Edit:

"I was working on a flat tax proposal and I accidentally proved there's no god."

I keep that saying on my wall.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:21 pm
Dathu
CaprinaePsi
Fenky

Edit:

Holy s**t (lawl), is it possible that Matt Groening was telling the American viewers that religion is only believed by stupid people with crayons up their noses?

Yeah, I remember that episode, but sadly he decided to be stupid again (Further asking the question "is it better to be smart and unhappy, or stupid and happy?) and shoved the crayon back up his nose. Yeah, for on episode he was an Atheist, but he's not anymore.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 pm
Well, being smart doesn't always mean being unhappy. If you're strong enough, you can learn to be both. mrgreen  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:42 pm
Dathu
Well, being smart doesn't always mean being unhappy. If you're strong enough, you can learn to be both. mrgreen

Yes, but when you are a giant among men, so to speak, it can become lonely. People become jealous, angry that you are so much smarter, and are always showing it. They tend to distance themselves from you, and you become angry at yourself for being so smart that you drive away your friends and family.

Flowers for Algernon anyone?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces