Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"But our founding fathers were Christian!" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:38 am
"...so we're a Christian nation!"

Um... STFU and GTFO. Our founding fathers were Deists, b***h.

I'm just sick of hearing that excuse, is all.

Discuss. What excuses do you hear that are just so obviously false or dumb that you can't help but let them grate on your nerves?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 am
Not that it matters anyway. They stated "Seperation of Church and State" so you know religion wasn't any of their priorities to begin with. Plus smart people can be wrong on issues they know nothing about. Take Jack Horner for example, just because he's an expert on Hadrosaurs doesn't mean he is an expert on Spinosaurus.

Christians need to fail, like now.  

Misumi Kuro

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:48 am
Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson.
Indeed.
They will, in fact, calm up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:04 pm
Most of them actually were Christians on a moderate scale. Deism was popular during the era, one must admit, but it is incorrect to say that it was the primary belief of the founding fathers.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:06 pm
What I hear a lot is "..under God,..". Since it's in our pledge of allegiance we we must all believe in God. O shut up, it was not in the original pledge, it was added during the Cold War to spite the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union banned all forms of religion as part of communism. I believe it was during the fifties that this was added, but during that era we were all creepy good and super patriotic. So because of this we didn't complain at all about this.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:10 pm
They were also chauvinists, racists, and pro-slavery.

Here's to the founding fathers!!! May their out-dated ways of thinking be rivived in the new age!!!
stare  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:51 pm
Those who were Christian, however, had the good sense to know that religion is one of many things that should be kept discrete from politics. Even if this was a nation founded on Christian principles, it was also a nation that originally only gave rights to white male landowners. The times, they are a-changin'.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:54 pm
Dathu

Here's to the founding fathers!!! May their out-dated ways of thinking be rivived in the new age!!!
stare

Well, they were also the ones who felt that we should push the idea of giving citizens some control over their life, and not having to serve a king thousands of miles away who basically treated them as tax machines.

It wasn't all bad.  

Tenth Speed Writer

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:06 pm
Levis Pennae
What I hear a lot is "..under God,..". Since it's in our pledge of allegiance we we must all believe in God. O shut up, it was not in the original pledge, it was added during the Cold War to spite the Soviet Union. The Soviet Union banned all forms of religion as part of communism. I believe it was during the fifties that this was added, but during that era we were all creepy good and super patriotic. So because of this we didn't complain at all about this.

about the "under god" debate, i saw on a show one time just about that very subject and what they were stressing was, it doesnt say under exactly which "god". it could be any particular god pertaining to any culture.

so in reality its like its saying "under our belief". whether this is actually true or not i don't really care because money is money after all. i don't care what it says or who's face is on it as long as it pays the bills.

but they made an interesting point at the same time. don't you think?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 pm
Dathu
stare
Are you kidding? They were some of the most brilliant thinkers of their time. I am always amazed when I read their work.

Baron von Turkeypants

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:20 am
SaintChaos
Levis Pennae

about the "under god" debate, i saw on a show one time just about that very subject and what they were stressing was, it doesnt say under exactly which "god". it could be any particular god pertaining to any culture.

so in reality its like its saying "under our belief". whether this is actually true or not i don't really care because money is money after all. i don't care what it says or who's face is on it as long as it pays the bills.

but they made an interesting point at the same time. don't you think?

Hm... You're right. After all, it doesn't say "one nation under Jesus Christ." Although, that would be kind of creepy, and I'm not just saying this as an atheist. I mean... I think of George W. Bush in a white robe, with long hair and a beard. stare  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:37 am
Oh, I carry a photocopied version of the Treaty of Tripoli in my backpack which goes with me everywhere. I'm like "First sentence, bitches."  

EinEinziger

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:14 am
Johnny-Xavier
Oh, I carry a photocopied version of the Treaty of Tripoli in my backpack which goes with me everywhere. I'm like "First sentence, bitches."
lol One of my favorites.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:02 pm
Johnny-Xavier

That's it! I was trying to think of which treaty that was the other day, but I kept coming up with Versailles.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:12 pm
Versailles? That has nothing to do with Muslims.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces