Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, My parents are christian, and they are making me... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EauJolie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:13 pm
Go to conformation. They don't know I don't beleive in god...I don't want to tell them because I'm allready in it and I don't want them to be mad and like they gave us a mentor person and shes nice and I would feel bad quiting....can you help me?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:55 pm
First off there's this thread.

Second off you gotta decided whether or not you want peaceable relations with your family (will they flip out and treat you like crap, or will they be understanding?)? The above link has lots of other members' advice.  

Theophrastus

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:56 pm
lol it's "confirmation," not "conformation." Nice typo, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:29 pm
Baron von Turkeypants

Not a typo. A Freudian slip, I'm sure.  

EinEinziger

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:30 pm
Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson.
Freudian typo slip. I was going to say Freudian slip, but I'm not sure if it extends to typing.
They will, in fact, calm up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Freudian typo slip. I was going to say Freudian slip, but I'm not sure if it extends to typing.

Freudian slips apply to any form of communication. biggrin  

EinEinziger

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:12 pm
Johnny-Xavier
Baron von Turkeypants

Freudian slips apply to any form of communication. biggrin

I bet five bucks you can't get BVTP to wear his Freudian Slip.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Baron von Turkeypants

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:30 pm
Wow. I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe you should break it to your parents, albeit gently. Then see where it goes from there. At least you can say you tried. But I would definitely tell them.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:40 am
Confirmation is a fairly harmless practice anyway. Never did me no harm smile
Granted I was a good little catholic boy at the time >_>;;  

Redem

GreenMagi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:47 am
EauJolie
Go to conformation. They don't know I don't believe in god...I don't want to tell them because I'm already in it and I don't want them to be mad and like they gave us a mentor person and she’s nice and I would feel bad quitting....can you help me?

Greetings Eau Jolie,

Theophrastus and Meirelle have a good point. It is a very delicate situation, a far greater one than you will ever experience with the rest of the world. People are more accepting of homosexuals in their families than they are Atheists. So the weight that coming-out-of-the-closet holds is comparable, and should be approached carefully.

I’m not sure how old you are, or how dependant you are on your parents. If you think there is even a chance of them rejecting you, then you should wait until you move out. It’s no big deal to be labeled a Christian right now, especially considering your own bests interests. There are no ‘commandments’ for nonbelievers, so there should be no guilt in doing what is best for you.

If you are having doubts, there may be ways for you to communicate these doubts in order to prolong the ceremony. Perhaps even vying for another Christian faith could save you the trouble, while keeping your ‘soul’ safe in your parent’s eyes.

The Universalist Unitarian churches (self dubbed ‘No-Hell Churches’) have members that range from Buddhists to Atheists, and their services are closer to secular college classes than Sunday services. I hate organized religion like poison, but I’ve always loved my experiences and education there. The best part is that they are composed by a great majority of Christians…open minded, nonjudgmental, nonproselytizing types, if you can believe that. There’s lots of homosexuals there too, because everyone is welcome.

Now this group could serve you like camouflage. Going there would save you from your parent’s conversion, if not their scorn, and you would learn a great deal about the history, philosophy, and traditions of the many religions in the world.

I’m going into politics, so I’m just before ‘getting saved’ myself. There is no dishonor or shame in lying to faith-heads to keep them from ‘crucifying’ you. Martyrdom is their bag, not ours.

Anyway, best of luck. I know you’ll do what ever is in your best interests…because Atheists are smarter than everyone else. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:01 am
Baron von Turkeypants

Here are a few of my favorites;

Catheter-Lick = Catholic
Holey Babble = Holy Bible
Holly-Day = Holiday
Theocrazy = Theocracy  

GreenMagi

Oracle for Hire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 pm
Just walk up, say "Mom, Dad, I'm Atheist" and be done with it. Just dont overdo it like my friend did. Kid spent a night in juvy for pointing a sword (that i bought him at GenCon) at his dad. His parents eventually accepted it tho.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:25 pm
I will give the same advice that I always give. Firstly, be sure to look through the first and second page before making a topic. Often topics may already exist catering to what you wish to speak about and may answer all you wish to know.

Secondly, and this goes out to all young atheists, or at least individuals who still depend upon thier parents, you have to weigh heavily how your family will react if they find out that you are atheist. Often I find that the consequences are not worth it. It can really cause problems for your potential future.

So, although it might be frustrating, just deal with it. Better to keep a low profile than be disowned completely.

Sanguvixen

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Tschudy
Just walk up, say "Mom, Dad, I'm Atheist" and be done with it. Just dont overdo it like my friend did. Kid spent a night in juvy for pointing a sword (that i bought him at GenCon) at his dad. His parents eventually accepted it tho.

Then I'd say that dude has some pretty chill parents.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff