Something else (please post!)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 66

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:57 am
User Image

This guild is quite new, and I'm likewise new to both captaining one and sculpture itself sweatdrop So I need all the help and suggestions I can get! Please post any ideas you have here. I'll be putting up polls about new suggestions to see what people want, so watch out for them!

Hope to hear more from you all soon!

Current Poll:
No poll currently

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:58 am
Quote:
Do you think challenges/projects/contests would be a good idea?

I think they'd be great 3nodding

Hehe, as soon as I read that, I thought "Sculpt-a-long!" - it would be cool to maybe provide an image and then let people interpret it in their own way - wood carving, amigurumi, clay, etc. - then give prizes for the best piece, most unexpected material or whatever. xd

Loving all the graphics by the way!  

Maimy
Crew

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:30 pm
Yay! Actually a picture prompt would solve the issue of there being a wide range of media and styles, so that could work... might have to wait until there's a few more member though

Thanks! If you or anyone has some photos of their artwork to use in future banners and graphics let me know, I just stuck my little thingies in there because that's all I had on hand at the time xd

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think things like paper crafts (like origami and this kind of thing and customising figures (like vinyl toys should fall under this guild? I guess its a bit on the fringes of 'sculpture' but a lot of similar techniques would apply, I'd think. That and all designer toys probably started out in clay at some point xd  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:10 am

I like origami ^^ I suck at it at the moment.. but I like it xD
and would customizing My little ponies count as customizing figures? I'm attempting to do that, since I saw some amazing ones on DA.

I like the idea of contests/challenges/projects. A lot <3

Also, what about a project sub-forum section? (I think you can make them..)
So if people are working on something, they can post about it.

I have some pictures of things I've made.. but the quality of photo isn't good >.>

User Image  

Dusk Magpie

Lunatic

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:46 am
OMG, customizing My Little Ponies? That sounds so cool xd

I think I want to keep it all open in the main forum for the moment, at least until we get a bit busier - otherwise it gets separated out and both forums look dead. But feel free to post any of your projects in the main forum!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:39 am
Hehe, I started a custom MLP a year or two ago, she was going to be a Medusa pony... but she's still half finished in a box somewhere XD

I think 3D paper crafts should be allowed here for sure, and vinyl toys too - I think the wider the net can be cast, the better... in the beginning at least :3 if your original intentions for the guild start to get lost, then changes can always be made.  

Maimy
Crew

kiersin

Invisible Phantom

10,850 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:22 pm
I enjoy Origami, but then again i do tons of crafty things, so I have to take time and do just one thing, but as for a challenge/project/contest that would be interesting and could be lots of fun.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:42 pm
Okay, I'm going to keep it fairly broad in arts and crafts for the moment and just see how we go 3nodding

Looks like the challenge/project idea is a popular one! I'll wait until we get a few more members and then we can set up the first one. What you think of having a word prompt rather than an image? That way it's even more open to interpretation. I've done this on the Illustration Friday site and in drawing groups, and it's always really interesting to see how different people interpret the same idea whee  

Chisa
Captain

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:08 pm
Oh! A few other things to do with promotion of the guild - feel free to suggest anyone you think would be interested to be invited here, and any related crafty guilds to affiliate with =3 And thanks so much everyone for putting banners in your sigs, I've gotten a couple of membership requests already whee We're growing!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:13 am
A word prompt would probably be better, the results would probably be a lot crazier. lol

Yay for member requests!!!  

Maimy
Crew

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:42 am
Just thinking how this would work. I think it might be easiest if I use a word generator or something to come up with a word prompt and make a new thread for it each month? That way everyone has a month to work on it (although it wouldn't exactly be a strict deadline or anything, just the topic for that month). I'd prefer to not make it a contest seeing as we have such a range of skill levels and media here, so comparing would be a bit hard and might seem daunting to some - we'll just keep it friendly smile Since we're already halfway through this month and still just starting out, I'll leave the first topic up until the end of next month and see how we go.

Sound good? Contests can come later and be less frequent; that way I might be able to offer cooler prizes biggrin

Another thing! At the moment its just me running the show, but if anyone here would like to be a crew member just shout out. At this stage there isn't a whole lot to moderate but it would be nice to have a good team of people just to invite prospective members that they see around and maybe update the Links thread with any useful resources they find.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:05 am
I like the whole idea of haveing a contest. Like w/ the monthly theme you started Chisa! You could make that a contest of sorts. Like, who ever you think had the best creation relating to the theme would win something relating to the theme. It would work! sweatdrop  

Kiwi Explosion

Maimy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 am
Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't be any less fun just being an event rather than a contest... smile although a little competition is a good thing.

I suppose it would be sensible to come up with some fund-raising ideas for future prizes?

But yeah, that all sounds good anyway :3

& I'd be happy to be crew, if you want me! I like to think I can be useful XD  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:12 pm
That's the other thing I was thinking... a book review thread? I buy crafty books quite regularly, and I have access to an entire art college LRC. I - and anyone else who wants to chip in - can write a quick review every now and then and give a book a rating. Would that be useful? It'd be a good way to discover books you wouldn't have otherwise found or help those with a low budget decide how best to get their crafty info fix :3 But if there aren't many people here into books then it might be a waste of time!  

Maimy
Crew

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:25 pm
Book reviews sound good! Although I'm reluctant to make another sticky since there's quite a few now >_> Do you think it would work in the Links and Resources thread maybe?

I do want to do contests, just probably not as often? And this way I can test the waters a bit and see how much of a response I get with the monthly theme smile I have some gold for prizes, think something smallish like the month's MC would be enough?

I'm also thinking of doing a monthly newsletter with things like any new links and resources, welcoming new members, pointing out threads of interest, a mini gallery of entries in the monthly theme and stuff like that.  
Sculpted - art + craft guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff