Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
A random and useless H2G2 question... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So?
Adjective.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Noun.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:39 pm
Something that only you guys and myself could possibly care about (and even that is debateable...)

The question is this: is the word "hoopy" an adjective or a noun? One would think it's an adjective (and in the instances where it is used, it appears to be one), but its definition (hoopy= really together guy) suggests otherwise.

So... adjective? Noun? Both? 42? You think too much about these things, Wingnut? Tell me what you think!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:28 pm
Well, Its probably both really. The "Y" at the end makes it an adjective and the definition makes it a noun. Hoopy Frood, well maybe hoopy is more like the state of being a really together guy and frood is a really together guy.  

Super Radical

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:54 pm
I'd say both, but I think it's by far used more as an adjective, as in the phrase "hoopy food". It just seems odd to me to say "He's a hoopy." It'd make more sense to say "He is hoopy."  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:32 pm
Hmmm.... this is odd. I never thought of this before.
I would agree that it's both, but it makes a much better adjective then a noun, and it's always used as an adjective. Maybe we should change the definition to just "amazingly together."
Or something.  

Lupe_Oceana

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:08 pm
Actually, "hoopy" is an adjective. It's "frood/y" that can be either. As in "hoopy frood", or, from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (I think it's Zaphod drunkening on...) "cool and froody". As far as I know, hoopy has never been used as a noun, and probably shouldn't be.

{she knows too much. she must be eliminated.}

And I, too, enjoy the sig of the uncertain icthus *shiftyshifty*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:22 pm
Yeah, I think it's just defined like that because people who work for the Guide are the sort of writers who may write well but don't know from definitions or nouns or anything. Too drunk for it. And too hoopy.  

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

unseengenius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:51 am
Ooh, my head's spinning eek
Um... I think it's an adjective  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:43 pm
wingnut the improbable
Something that only you guys and myself could possibly care about (and even that is debateable...)

The question is this: is the word "hoopy" an adjective or a noun? One would think it's an adjective (and in the instances where it is used, it appears to be one), but its definition (hoopy= really together guy) suggests otherwise.

So... adjective? Noun? Both? 42? You think too much about these things, Wingnut? Tell me what you think!

Noun. However, since Zaphod's Ego is bigger than everything else in the universe put together, he deserves to be called a Hoopy Frood. The Ego demands it. You will feed the ego.  

Darth_Gently

Whip It Out!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:55 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:34 pm
Frood: Really amazing together guy.

Hoopy: Amazingly Together Guy.  

Darth_Gently

Hellz

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:22 pm
I'm gonna have to go with 42.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:48 pm
-1 WTF? ^^ How does that relate to Hoopy and Frood?  

Darth_Gently

Lupe_Oceana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:00 pm
Here's another thing that has nothing to do with anything...

Hooping (verb): The act of hula-hooping with a handmade hula hoop at a String Cheese Incident concert.

Which lends itself to such great phrases as, "Hey, look at that hoopy frood hooping!" Or, if we decide it's a noun, "Hey, look at that hoopy hooping!"

Aargh, far too many double 'o's in this post.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 am
I would consider it an adjective, and frood the noun to the same concept. But that's meh.^^  

[.Adolescence.]

Yuuki Gunn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:15 pm
The gag it orignates from defines it as a noun.
But it's later use by the fan base and characters with in the Trilogy have made into an adjetive (on numerous occasions people relate to something as "hoopy").
As a side note, in Latin the phrase would be Hoopus Froodus.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games