Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Something much needed

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LabTech Deusy

Invisible Officer

13,100 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:21 pm
Okay, so I do need a tiny bit of help can any of you recomend and good books on Atheism, I have one so far its by Richard Dawkins but I need to write a very lenthy paper on Atheism for my English Class and any other books would be of great value.

I will mainly be talking about Hard and Soft Atheism to narrow the over all subject down (and I dont know how to put "Christianity" in it since its for a Christian School, something I will figuer out in due time.)
*Note: I didnt think this would be a Q &A I hope I am not wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:09 pm
You won't have eyes tonight. You won't have ears or a tongue; you will wander the underworld blind, deaf and dumb...

The Stranger

...and all the dead will know: this is Hector, fool who thought he killed Achilles.

Baron von Turkeypants

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:37 pm
"2000 years of disbelief." Is another one that comes to mind. It's just quotes... but some intros ... and the quotes themselves are pretty freaking good.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:06 pm
Thank you and Thank you, I do see the Lit. thread so I am going to look at that but any other's that come to mind please let me know. Another thing are there any books on Occam's Razor?

LabTech Deusy

Invisible Officer

13,100 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:11 pm
You won't have eyes tonight. You won't have ears or a tongue; you will wander the underworld blind, deaf and dumb...

Contact by Carl Sagan refers to Occam's Razor frequently.

...and all the dead will know: this is Hector, fool who thought he killed Achilles.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:45 pm
Okay good, I read Stranger the ending was mehish and it made Atheist's look like jerks. But over all it was a good book.

LabTech Deusy

Invisible Officer

13,100 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:18 pm
Deus Vivit
Okay good, I read Stranger the ending was mehish and it made Atheist's look like jerks. But over all it was a good book.

Wow, someone shares my viewpoint! heart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:52 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Deus Vivit

Wow, someone shares my viewpoint! heart

Ooo, glad I am not alone on that. I just picked up the book Contact so I will read that one. I got another one by Dawkins and others. Does any one know of a non-fiction one on Occam's Razor? I found a fiction one but no luck with a non-fiction.

LabTech Deusy

Invisible Officer

13,100 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:55 pm
The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation come highly recommended. I've not read them, but from what I know they may not be 100% directly related to your inquest, but are rather short and regarded as easily digestible.

Hope that helps.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:20 pm
I read a bit of The God Delusion over the past month or so, and although it showed me a lot about thinking outside the box in philosophical debate, a lot of it dealt with things I was already familiar with. Granted, the book was addressing the religious individual with doubts on faith, and not the atheist who already knows most of what Dawkins talks about, but I thought I'd check it out anyway. I didn't bother to finish it for the reason above, but don't let that stop any of you.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:53 am

There's an awesome part in the God Delusion (near the end?) about a woman who, as a child, had frequent hallucinations about a purple man. I suggest at least getting to that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:54 pm
Baron von Turkeypants

There's an awesome part in the God Delusion (near the end?) about a woman who, as a child, had frequent hallucinations about a purple man. I suggest at least getting to that.

I had hallucinations of a man in my bedroom pointing two guns at me. Just like Dawkins said in his book. The mind is a powerful thing, and it can see things that aren't really there. So if you want to see ghosts and god, your mind can provide that for you. I didn't believe it, until my meds starting acting up a few weeks ago and I'd see something that wasn't really there almost nightly.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff