Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
3. Sofia

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

actually updated.
  wooo
View Results

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:12 pm
An incessant clock continues to tick as pages are being turned. Eyes have ceased blinking due to an impenetrable focus. Brain waves fluctuate at the promise of gaining, growing, knowing. She has forgotten her days, but remembers her patterns.

Sofia lives the big city life. Where the lights never go out and nobody is really sure what they’re doing. They just keep moving and hope it’s in the right direction. Every single person is aware of how small they are in comparison to the city’s skyscrapers and massive crowds. And so each one strives to move faster than the others, to rise above the masses. Sofia is tired of this game, and has retreated to her books. To the silence of reading, with the occasional turn of the page.

Her memories are not of people but of characters. And for the few people that are in her life, she relates them to the characters she has read about in an effort to try to grasp their souls, their decisions. Life, with its unknowable future, has proven to be quite difficult to manage for a girl who must always know the ending before she can act upon her decision.

There comes a point where if one knows too much, they are incapable of living. Suddenly, they are paralyzed by knowledge. Quickly, there becomes too many things to consider while making a decision. And it appears that a decision cannot be made. That if one is to take note of each risk, possibility, and outcome; there are no options left standing. Risks avoided, possibilities eliminated, and outcomes unknown.

Sofia is about to escape. Her head has become too full and she must leave the pollutants of small talk, non-fiction, and silent thoughts. Every day she brings five books from her personal library with her and ventures out into the city. She walks up to deserving strangers and hands them her memories. Hoping they will take a break from the game and learn of lives other than their own. Sofia has learned of too many lives and forgotten about her own. Both the stranger and Sofia need to explore other aspects of life not included in the pattern they have settled into.

Eventually the shelves are empty and on that day Sofia begins to pack her bag. She is taking little more than the clothes upon her. Not preparing for the risks, considering the possibilities, or aware of the outcome. Knowing only that her train is waiting and it is time to leave.

Sofia will remember this day as the day her life began.

Author's Comments

#3 in the Character Studies on Women Project: Sofia.

Character Studies on Women Project so far:

1. Chloe
2. Emily
3. Sofia  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:47 pm
I can relate.

But I would neeeeeeevver give away my books. *hugs*  

KirbyVictorious

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:50 pm
Given the choice, I would. Books provide the stories of life. And once you have forgotten your own.. you must go forth and write your own story, and give others more lessons to learn, when their life has become to much of a pattern.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:53 pm
Agreed, but...a book isn't the same for everyone. One that changes your life might just make another person bored.

Now, a book you've written would be very different indeed.  

KirbyVictorious

Spastic waffles
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:24 pm
Awesome, Tak.

One tiny little grammar thing: She walks up to deserving strangers and hands them her memories. Hoping they will take a break from the game and learn of lives other than their own.

That's an incomplete sentence...Unless you put it there for effect or something, but I think a comma would work better in place of the period.

Um, other than that...

Eventually the shelves are empty and on that day Sofia begins to pack her bag.
I'd make it "packs her bag" instead of "begins to pack."

And that's all I have for you. Good job! I enjoyed it immensely.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:02 pm
The first grammar that you mentioned, was placed for a reason. Syntax and the like.

As for the other, I will ponder it. Read it a few times over.
And see how it is, though I cannot guarentee I will go with your change.

Thanks though. Glad you enjoyed it.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

Voxxx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:24 am
I liked it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:11 pm
Thanks Voxxx.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items