Postage and Packaging Craft Products

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:05 am
I've seen a lot of online stores selling handmade products or materials these days, because it's a nice convenient way to sell products and reach an international audience.

One issue that comes from it though is how to get the goods to the customer. How do you find out how much packaging and postage will cost? How do you package your goods to make sure that they'll reach their destination intact? Do you put effort into well designed and branded packaging of your items, or just keep things simple? Have you been impressed (or unimpressed) with the postage prices and methods of people you've ordered things from?

This is partly because I'm not really sure where to look for postage prices for the guild craft swap coming up sweatdrop Or, more specifically, I know where to find these things for Australia (which is where I live) but not for other countries (US and UK seem to be the most common within this guild).

For comparison, in Australia it's all done through Australia Post. If the item is less than 260mm x 360mm, thinner than 20mm and lighter than 500g you can get away with calling it a letter, which costs around AU$2-$12 to send to the US or UK. If it's bigger than that it's considered a parcel, and costs start from $14 and go up from there according to weight xp Sending things is quite expensive huh? Envelopes and boxes can be quite expensive too, for larger items.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:46 pm
for sending items, there's USPS and UPS, and then there's fedex, and DHL, and some more companies to ship items with. each would have their own sites.

As for packing, most items that I have ordered have used way too big of a box, then again after a certain size is reached, it's the weight that matters most.  

kiersin

Invisible Phantom

10,850 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

IconLizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:00 pm
I think it's probably going to the up the individual to research what will cost less for shipping in their area.

For example, since I work right next door to the Fed Ex world hub, it's probably less costly for me to use them rather than UPS or the US Postal Service.

Also, sometimes you can find cheaper service with specialized shipping stores like Pakmail here in the States that will ship via one of several choices all from the one location.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:09 pm
Wow, didn't realise there were so many options O_O Well I'll just post up a few options and recommend people check things out themselves in case they can find something cheaper.  

Chisa
Captain

Saphirre89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:14 pm
I've bought a bunch of handmade stuff over etsy and have always been pleased as to how they got to me. so as a consumer, I prefer it just to get to me in one piece. I dont think brand name packaging is a priority. who cares if it's padded by newspaper?

honestly to figure out shipping costs you just have to go to the post office. how much it weighs and how far it's going determines the price. if you make a lot of something and sell it, you'll be able to get an idea of how much the shipping will be the first time someone buys something.

As for it getting there intact, everything can be used. those brown padded envelopes work well, but if you're sending something small and breakable, like a charm for instance, you'd want to put it in some kind of small cardboard boxes (like you get jewelry in) and wrap it really well. if you're worried about it getting wet, perhaps seal it in a ziploc baggie. I guess that would be harder with larger objects, but hey, gladwear press-and-seal works wonders biggrin

so all in all, I dont think packaging has to be expensive, but it has to do it's job: getting the goods to its destination intact.

(wow, I wrote a lot! sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:48 pm
I got a bunch of tiny ziplock bags recently which should work well for when I eventually end up selling my felt badges biggrin I'm a bit worried about small clay sculptures with easily breakable parts, like bunny ears for example confused I guess a small cardboard box would be best, but that would increase packaging probably postage costs a bit. I wonder if wrapping it in tissue paper will work?

In that package I received the ziplock bags and some other crafty things in, the sender also put in some lollies and a business card, which I thought was a great idea to be remembered by your customers ^_^  

Chisa
Captain

Saphirre89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:46 pm
That's always cool when the maker sends along extra stuff. I bought something off etsy and got a business card and a cute eraser as well. it's always nice to know that something came from an actual person; not an unfeeling store.

I'm sure you could find some small cardboard boxes, or make them out of card-stock. I think a box would help protect the item wrapped in tissue paper better. writing "fragile" on the front of the package as well could also help.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:30 pm
Yeah, I think the whole human aspect is really important in small businesses, especially crafts ones because crafting is so personal smile

Designing and making boxes would be quite fun actually... hrmm...

At the moment I'm making and sending off two felt keychains that I offered as a kiriban on my DA page ^_^ Lucky there's not much chance of them breaking easily in the mail, so they're just going in the ziplocked bags with a bit of card with my logo on the top. Still have to design the card bit though.  

Chisa
Captain

kiersin

Invisible Phantom

10,850 Points
  • Fluff Healer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:18 pm
you mean they don't see the fragile part written on it and drop-kick it to the next location?  
Sculpted - art + craft guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games