Ravea Tuhnear

3,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Cart Raider 100

tinystarkitten

Anxious Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:20 pm
It's an art, not a sport. Yes, it's as physically demanding as most sports and more damanding than a lot of others (Bowling, wtf? xD), but it's not a sport. Sports are for exerting one's physical abilities and that's it. Ballet does that AND tells a story. People do sports, that's why they've got numbers and names on the back of their uniforms. Bodies do ballet, losing their identity to become music in motion. They're not in it for the glory or the money, they're in it for the audience.

Wow... I can rant... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:22 am
tinystarkitten
It's an art, not a sport. Yes, it's as physically demanding as most sports and more damanding than a lot of others (Bowling, wtf? xD), but it's not a sport. Sports are for exerting one's physical abilities and that's it. Ballet does that AND tells a story. People do sports, that's why they've got numbers and names on the back of their uniforms. Bodies do ballet, losing their identity to become music in motion. They're not in it for the glory or the money, they're in it for the audience.

Wow... I can rant... sweatdrop

Wow, Indeed. That was beautiful! I applaud you!

4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh 4laugh  

CrocusVis

Dapper Dabbler

4,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Opera Phantomess

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:53 am
I would consider ballet to be both an art form and a sport: an artisic sport. Of course any type of dance is art as the dancer moves in ways to express feelings and tell stories, but it is also physically demanding no matter how you look at it. So, would you consider figure skating just an art form as well? Then why is it a major category in the Olympics if that is the case? Skating is no different than ballet excluding the facts that it is on ice and you must use different techniques to do axels and the such, but it is a sport. Look at the many out there that do sports: most take ballet as a basis to improve their performance.

Personally, I believe it takes more strength and self discipline to get up on Pointe, stay there, and do whatever movements while on the toes than it does to run a ball up and down the fields. Only certain muscle groups are targeted during your everyday sport while ballet uses most if not all of them at once as well as those that most other activities do not touch. If ballet is not a sport, then neither is football or soccer for that matter.

*Opera Phantomess disappearing into the darkness....*

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Scientists have proven that Ballet is the most hardest sport then #2 is Bull fighting and #3 is football. I did not make this up.  

Bamfiz

Greedy Capitalist

8,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Millionaire 200

Opera Phantomess

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:05 pm
chubathang1165
Scientists have proven that Ballet is the most hardest sport then #2 is Bull fighting and #3 is football. I did not make this up.

I just do not understand why, since that is true, that Ballet dancers receive less pay than any other athlete! ><

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:19 am
I actually did a report on this a few years ago. I decided ballet/dance/jazz/etc. are a sport because the definition of sport is that it is something that an athlete competes in. Dancers are athletes, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that, and dancers compete at competitions; therefore dance is a sport. Not to mention all of the physical exertion dancing requires.  

Twitchums_1
Crew

6,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

myheartbeats2hgb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:58 pm
My reasoning for ballet as a sport is the same one I give for marching band. It takes incredible feats of athleticism, but so do other sports. The difference is that you have to make the athleticism beautiful, which takes so much more effort than just being strong. The combination of being strong and beautiful creates something that is supposed to look effortless, which is why people are convinced that these performers aren't athletes.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:52 am
I'd say its more of an art then a sport, although its definitely as physically demanding as any sport 3nodding  

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

apynip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 pm
hah We just had this discussion durring break at dance last week.

reasons for it being a sport
Physically demanding
practice
hard work
strain on joints and bones
most injuries will be classified as a sport injury
PAIN!

Reasons for an art
Emotion
movement
acting
costumes!
stage
fun biggrin

So i my opinion its both just depends from where you look at it. like an audiance member can only see the art of it but the dancer will see the sport.

plus many studios now adays do competitions so.... theres teh compeating sport side of dance.

<3 apy  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:18 am
BALLET IS NOT A SPORT!

because it is harder than any sport it does not classify as a "sport" 3nodding  

DancingSandy243

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff