Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
They're convinced I am Christian. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tchaik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:37 pm
First topic. Hello!

So, I am 17, and I baffle the majority of religious adults. They tell me how nice, respectful, caring and courteous I am. They find out that I read, I don't really watch TV, I'm an A student, I listen to Classical music (including religious choirs). And then they ask to confirm that I'm Christian. "Awww, you're Christian aren't you~?"
And I just say, "Naw, I'm actually an Atheist! 3nodding "
That's when they get confused. Apparently, you have to be a Christian to be a good teenager.

I was also "conveniently" let go from the job I'd had for 4 years after my boss asked me if I was Christian and I said I was not. I hated that job anyway. *shrug*

So, does this happen to you?
What are your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:12 pm
I love sacred music! I'm watching Amadeus right now, and the narrator, Salieri, is a very devout religious d00d who's pretty good at music.  

Baron von Turkeypants

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:43 pm
No, I can't say any of that ever happens to me. Although, I have a strong suspicion that I was laid-off from my last job when they found out was an atheist.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:15 pm
Probably due to religious people not understanding how atheists can behave 'respectfully' without the fear of god.  

Marxist-Sloth

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:30 am
That's happened to me before, except they don't ask me they just assume.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:18 am
I lost my friends when they found out I wasn't catholic and for a few other reasons which are just absolutely petty.

Lol, not like I care though.
I ended up meeting other people who accepted me and treated me with more respect.

Boxed_Jam

Tchaik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:49 am
Boxed_Jam
I lost my friends when they found out I wasn't catholic and for a few other reasons which are just absolutely petty.

Lol, not like I care though.
I ended up meeting other people who accepted me and treated me with more respect.

Haha, same here. rolleyes One of my old friends went all religious overnight and would never shut up about genocide-ing homosexuals. Yeeeahhh...I don't associate with that person anymore. >_>

But one of my friends is a Jesus-freak, and we get along awesome. We make fun of each other. xD  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:10 pm
I have a friend like that, and he wears a cross all the time. So every now and again I'll flip it upside down rofl  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Azraelswing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:17 pm
Can't say something like that ever happened to me. Then again, my family or relatives aren't really that exactly religious, and that's counting even my late grandparents. No doubt we have our own 'fundamentalists' here, but I've never ran into them. Quite amusing, considering the we even have a state religion around here... not that the people seem to be exactly pious. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:43 am
No one at work has ever asked me because...it's corporate America we can get in trouble for even asking.

I know they've noticed that I don't say, 'bless you.' when someone sneezes because when I sneeze, they don't say it to me, which I am not bothered by.

Xiporah

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:25 pm
You live down south, don't you. Oh, thank the great LORD who doesn't exist that I live up north. Almost everyone I work with knows where I stand on religion, and they're okay with it... it could possibly have to do with the fact that most of them share a similar view on religion. sweatdrop But I guess that's what happens when you work with a bunch of crazy people who all majored in creative writing or communications.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:28 am
Meirelle
You live down south, don't you. Oh, thank the great LORD who doesn't exist that I live up north. Almost everyone I work with knows where I stand on religion, and they're okay with it... it could possibly have to do with the fact that most of them share a similar view on religion. sweatdrop But I guess that's what happens when you work with a bunch of crazy people who all majored in creative writing or communications.

Actually, I live in the north! I just somehow got stuck in one of those little-bitty towns that is just about as Fundamentalist as deep south.
My school actually sponsors "prayer around the flag pole"
neutral  

Tchaik

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:57 am
Tchaik
Meirelle

Actually, I live in the north! I just somehow got stuck in one of those little-bitty towns that is just about as Fundamentalist as deep south.
neutral

Harsh.
My grandma assumes I'm a good little catholic boy... Makes me laugh every time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:14 pm
That doesn't happen to me, but I know people that's happened to. They're nice, caring, generous, smart, responsible, punctual, everything good, so they must be Christians, because obviously only Christians can be good people. It pisses me off. Since when did Christians have the market on good behavior? And since when did being Christian make you a good person? Are all other faiths and philosophies just terrible? It's so conceited, I get really ticked.  

Koravin

Koravin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:15 pm
Superior Jazz
Tchaik
Meirelle

neutral

Harsh.
My grandma assumes I'm a good little catholic boy... Makes me laugh every time.
Ooh, yeah. My grandma tells me she knows I have a very strong faith. I was nice and kept quiet. I don't want to shatter her dreams.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff