Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Churches using Halo 3 to attract kids Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:50 pm
link I never thought churches would be so desperate they would resort to using shoot em up games. I guess they found that Halo was hogging all their members, so they decided to use it to their advantage.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:29 pm
I never liked Halo. biggrin

But yes, it is a rather sad attempt at grabbing the kids. Goes to show how desperate they are these days. I say good.  

Shaka-FireFly

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:14 pm
I never liked Halo either, but you are right it is sad that they are reverting to this sort of stuff to attract people.

This also reminds me of a little advertisement I found while read my school's newspaper back at about January. It went like this:

In big bold, italicized and underlined words it said the word "FEAR!!" at the top of the ad and right below it it said "Nothing describes this word better than the gut wrenching, heart stopping action of THE DOME!!" Below that it shows a picture of one of those wire domes that they ride motorcycles in at extreme sports shows. By now I'm thinking this is a ad for a MX show. Below that it starts listing out stuff like a full functioning skate park, rock bands, giveaways, XBOX360's and all this other cool s**t. However, the last thing on that list gave away the true purpose of the article:

"An awesome sermon on the word of God and our savior Jesus Christ." and just directly below that was the address for a local Bible Church.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:16 pm
Some parents were protesting this because it was too violent, I heard.

Obviously, they've never read the Bible.  

ProjectOmicron88

iButtRape

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:06 pm
Wow, that's pathetic. :

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:21 pm
That is just ridiculous.

I've been to one of those youth recruitment things once, with one of my friends. It was rather frightening, because now that you point it out, they had Halo there too. It was the first Halo, I think, since this was years ago, but still, wow.

The church I used to go to was better at disguising these kind of things. They used apple picking, bowling, Chinese food, and movie nights to get kids to come. Even when I was little, I only went for the activities and then zoned out during the sermons.  

Tchaik

Fuzzy Kittens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:15 pm
Quote:
They can also play in teams, something the churches say allows communication and fellowship opportunities.

Twelve year-old boys who play Halo don't communicate. They scream "BOOM! Headshot!" at the top of their lungs.

Speaking of twelve year-olds, I am disgusted that churches are letting children play games clearly marked for older players. The video game industry already has a bad rap because of parents who buy their kids adult video games and then complain about it being a bad influence.

Now churches are passing it out like candy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:19 pm
Quote:
In one letter to parents, Mr. Barbour wrote that God calls ministers to be “fishers of men.”

“Teens are our ‘fish,” he wrote. “So we’ve become creative in baiting our hooks.”

Oh, wow. That's just... horrible. cry  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Matataur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:18 am
Well, I have enjoyed the Halo series since the first game with the Xbox, and I have to admit I find this HILARIOUS. The church will cut this out as soon as they realize that beyond the violence in the game, there's also a demonic ritual preformed throughout matches that shows up in the form of vague homosexual acts.

I am of course referring to that clever thing of using the crouch button over a recent kill, commonly known as "Teabagging".

rofl

Let's get Fred Phelps to make a sign "GOD HATES HALO"  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:28 pm
Death to the extraterrestrial heathens! biggrin  

Napoleon_Danneskjold

Koravin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:09 pm
Matataur
Well, I have enjoyed the Halo series since the first game with the Xbox, and I have to admit I find this HILARIOUS. The church will cut this out as soon as they realize that beyond the violence in the game, there's also a demonic ritual preformed throughout matches that shows up in the form of vague homosexual acts.

I am of course referring to that clever thing of using the crouch button over a recent kill, commonly known as "Teabagging".

rofl

Let's get Fred Phelps to make a sign "GOD HATES HALO"
I do that all the time! This is so pathetic. Really. Halo? Once you have to go that low to get people to attend, it's time to close down.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:58 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Some parents were protesting this because it was too violent, I heard.
Obviously, they've never read the Bible.
lol thread over.  

Baron von Turkeypants

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 pm
If the curches had any brain cell they would notice that most of the game has anti-religious views.

Covenant- Highly religious and are being manipulated by truth trough their religion. Also Aliens.

Flood- Bacterial and parasitic organism. (Cristians don't belive in bacteria)

Earth- The apoclypse never mentioned aliens.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
If the curches had any brain cell they would notice that most of the game has anti-religious views.

Covenant- Highly religious and are being manipulated by truth trough their religion. Also Aliens.

Flood- Bacterial and parasitic organism. (Cristians don't belive in bacteria)

Earth- The apoclypse never mentioned aliens.

I know, this whole thing reeks of hypocrisy, but hey they're desperate, they're gonna try anything they can.  

Arios V

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:52 pm
So "Thou shalt not kill" only applies to real life?
Churches that are that desperate are kinda stupid. I would go just to rant about how good it is to kill things while God is watching.
Wait. That didnt come out right..

Quote:
Tim explained the game’s allure: “It’s just fun blowing people up.”
thats an extremely christian thing to say in a church.
Quote:
It is crucial, they say, to reach the elusive audience of boys and young men.
So go to schools, make church more interesting, get more cool things for kids to do that dont involve being a hypocrite.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff