Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Public Policy Forums in my school.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:20 pm
Ok my Participation in goverment class has these forums and I want to be bringing a arsenal of counter arguements. Also I want to hear other atheists opinions on these topics.

Subjects

Abortion
National heath insurance
Gay rights

There are alot more but I can't remember them.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:24 pm
Abortion, make a direct appeal for the woman's rights, and potential suffering. Use fancy philosophical words to debate the validity of a fetus in the early stages as an intelligent life form.

Gay rights, pull out an argument similar to traditional civil rights ones. It helps if you can name a psychologist or two who agrees that it's developmental, and rarely an active choice.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:02 am
When it comes to Abortion I tend to side with choice. Look, it might be true that more and more people are using Abortion as a form of birth control, but so what?

Engaging in sex at a young age and ending up with a baby is a mistake that can ruin a person for the rest of thier life. I'm sorry but a little glob of cells that can't even feel anything yet does not have more rights than a fully functioning human being.

Regardless of the reason it is the place of each individual women to decide if she wants an abortion or not. It is not her place to decide for another women wether she can get an abortion or not. Abortion kills one potential human being. Outlawing abortion means that instead of one potential person dying, you'll end up with an actual human being, and a could have been human fetus dead frequently, because of the renewed interest in back-alley abortion clinics.

If a clump of cells is life worth saving than what about the bacteria that we wipe out on a daily basis just because they are bad for our bodies? Think about all the innocent bacteria we kill in the process. Where is the outrage in that?

As for gay rights.... Since when was it the place of people to stop complete strangers from doing something that doesn't hurt society, and doesn't hurt people at all?

I seriously doub't homosexuality can accomplishing doing more or worse what harm heterosexual couples has already done to "Family values". The whole issue is just a bunch of people shooting thier mouths off without realizing that it is not thier place to do such things. Gays arn't hurting anybody, and they don't hurt the morals of society. You know what does? Heterosexuality and the damn divorce rate.

Oops, mini rant, but is that helpful at all for generating ideas for rebuttals?

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games