Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
People ask me why im atheist; I reply with? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

religion
  Completely Stupid and idiotic
View Results

LoserKiller1793

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:31 pm
Who can give me an intelligent response to this question? I mean i actually don't know what to say without being like "BECAUSE I HAVE A ******** BRAIN".

Also , when i do say something people say "Your going to burn in hell". What do i say to this?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:30 pm
I'm sorry, I really am, but the contraction you intended to use it "you're." "Your" is second person possessive (correct me if I'm wrong), "you're" is the contraction of "you are."

Sorry, but it was killing me.

Now, on topic; when people ask me why, I have two responses. A for when I don't have time to elaborate, and B for when I do.

A) Cause I don't agree with what religions say (aka "Cause I think religion is bullshit")
B) Well, I have a few reasons why. First off, I just don't agree with what religions say. Their stories, their rules, etc, it's all just so unbelievable. Second, continuing on the first reason, I like to be able to change what I think. With religion, this is not possible. Take Christianity for example. For as long as it has been around, how much has it changed? Sure, there are many more sects than before, and sure the bible has "changed" in the sense that there are more than one version of it, but over all, it's the same thing as before. Third, I just don't trust religion at all. It has caused deaths of so many people just because of something so unimportant, not only that but people are so ******** stupid that they'll do anything they're told, I mean look at the Crusades! Sure, there are smart people who think about what's going on, but most people don't. They just allow themselves to be controlled. Adding to that, religion is not necessary anymore to society. It was back when people needed a reason to make communities, but don't we have nations and functioning societies? People shouldn't rely on religion, and it just saddens me when they go to religion because they think that religion is the only way to do anything, when they don't even realize that religion doesn't do anything, they do. Karl Marx once said that religion is the opium of of the masses, and although it might not be as true today as it was at the time, it is still a reality.

Obviously I would probably say it in a different way, but that's the general idea of my responses to why I'm an atheist. As for the hell thing, I just say, "Hey, at least I'll be hanging with a guy who had enough sense in him to go against a dictator" or, more realistically/funnier, "Hey, at least I'll finally get that tan."

s**t, I can't remember my sarcastic response Dx  

CaprinaePsi

Shaka-FireFly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:11 am
LoserKiller1793
Who can give me an intelligent response to this question? I mean i actually don't know what to say without being like "BECAUSE I HAVE A ******** BRAIN".

Also , when i do say something people say "Your going to burn in hell". What do i say to this?

I just tell people there is no evidence out there that can convince me of any god.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:44 am
"Eh, it's a middle ground"
Simple, because the only logical thing that you can say to any religious person is that there is more then one religion.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

IchiKatsu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:05 am
Talk about how you don't want to be molested by the pastor, and while there are in moral outrage they will forget the whole burn in hell thing.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:57 pm
"I just didn't see anything that could convince me of a higher power." That's usually my answer, but I may give it up in favor of, "Why not?"  

ProjectOmicron88

Azraelswing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:45 am
Answer A) Why shouldn't I be?

Answer B) See you there then... twisted  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:58 pm
1. Because i put reason before faith.

2. Hell? OmG, i CAN'T wait! (i usually say "no thanks, i'm going straight to hell" when people say bless you... so they know hell doesn't scare ME)  

AnonymouZ

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 pm
Hell is nothing more than an eternal party with pyrotechnics.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:37 am
I usually tell them that I plan to. as soon as the weather gets nice.

http://www.hell2u.com/  

Superior Jazz

Xiporah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:39 pm
I usually just dismiss all burning in hell remarks by saying, "No I won't. I'll rot in the ground, and I won't care...because I'll be dead."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:16 pm
You know, you can always answer a question with a question.

If a catholic came up and asked "Why are you atheist?", you can say "Why are you catholic?"

It sort of makes a point with as few words as possible.

Sanguvixen

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:41 pm
CaprinaePsi
Obviously I would probably say it in a different way, but that's the general idea of my responses to why I'm an atheist. As for the hell thing, I just say, "Hey, at least I'll be hanging with a guy who had enough sense in him to go against a dictator" or, more realistically/funnier, "Hey, at least I'll finally get that tan."

xD i get that dictator thing.. i just got it..

I usually end up saying something like "I dont believe in God, so what makes you so sure i believe in Heaven, Hell, or Satan?"

and then if they continue to badger me about how God really is out there i throw some things like "Im sorry, i dont believe in hypocrites" and various other things out there, along with some loophole that you found. It usually shuts them up, especially if you know more about the bible then them...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:03 am
AnonymouZ
1. Because i put reason before faith.

2. Hell? OmG, i CAN'T wait! (i usually say "no thanks, i'm going straight to hell" when people say bless you... so they know hell doesn't scare ME)
LoL. I like your second answer. I figure if hell truly exists, (I don't believe it does, but for the sake of the conversation ya know.) all my friends and all the people I like are going to be going there. If heaven is a place where the fundies go... I don't want to be there at all.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:57 am
LMAO, good one,

I dunno i have found some good ones

"Because i perfer to believe in things that actually exist, and have been proven."

then theres a few others but one of my friends has an intetesting veiw when asked he stares at the person and asks back.

"why are you christian/ jewish / catholic/_______(insert religion here)?"

And the person sadly always replies with..

'Because my family is."/ or "Because ...thats what i believe."

He can respond now with...

"Because i think for myself."

I dunno, is it just me or in an argument like this why is it the atheist always sounds more...literate/ insigthful?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff