Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
How do you use magic?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:27 pm
I have been studing for a verry long time about magic and magic use. But everytime I try to practice it I fail. I need help on how to use magic.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:27 am
I think it'd be better for us to ask you that question - that way we can find out where you're going wrong. How do /you/ use magick?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:08 pm
First I meditate untill I am clensed of thought. Then I think of a single flame growing and rounding into a ball. Thats how I tried for a fireball spell. I think that I just have no talent.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:47 pm
Hmm...I think everyone has the ability to use it, but very few people actually know how to do it. First I would figure out what element you are most in tune with. For me, it is Earth so I woule go out in nature and just simply calm myself/meditate. By doing that I would be more in tune with Mother Earth and could then hear the trees and plants. Once that's down I suppose anything is possible. But then again, everything is possible right from the start, you just have to be calm and in tune with your energy. If you don't know your own energy how can you possibly learn anything? If you don't know yourself how can you expect to accomplish anything? For me, I have been on a quest to learn more about my past lives so I can better understand myself now. So far, it has helped a great deal. Now I am not so afraid anymore. Maybe if you got to know yourself better that would help. And talking with your higher/inner self will help too. The same goes for communicating with your spirit guides. Let's see, what else. Oh right, you need to be at ease with the energy around you also. Not just you, but you need to reach out and feel the universe. Think of yourself as a river flowing gently and then flowing in all different directions, or a pond. I hope that helps to some extent.  

Milendil

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 pm
Uuum...well, the first problem is that magic doesnt' work like that, Jac. You can't create and throw an actual fireball like you can in the movies. So the first thing that would probably help you is to get that idea out of your head that magic is like in the movies or books. It's not, not at all.
Alright, now that that's out of the way, magic works through the power of your mind and imagination. By focusing that power using certain words, phrases, songs, chants, tools, sigils, meditations, visualizations, etc you can make changes in the world. Small ones are easier than big ones, of course but big change is possible, though unlikely.
Magic is not a 'trick' of the mind. Noone knows exactly how it works yet but I'm sure someday science will catch up with it and explain it. Until then, think of it as accessing personal and other power and using it to make change.
I hope that answers your question. 3nodding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:46 pm
To be honest, most magic you don't need to be in tune with. Second, some magic can't be done with words, chants, or spells. Magic is like a river, but it has become soo diluted with negitivity that I use my own supply insted of the worlds supply. Wich is why I think I can't do it. But I have been practicing and still nothing, with and without and words.  

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:54 pm
Magic is like a river that's been diluted with negativity? That's a very unique view of magic you've got there. Care to explain how magic can be diluted or tainted?
I'll agree with you on the rest of it. If you've had absolutely not success with magic and rituals of late, there must be a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:54 am
Jacthnithd
To be honest, most magic you don't need to be in tune with. Second, some magic can't be done with words, chants, or spells. Magic is like a river, but it has become soo diluted with negitivity that I use my own supply insted of the worlds supply. Wich is why I think I can't do it. But I have been practicing and still nothing, with and without and words.

To throw in with my own Sterling penny - If your theory behind magick isn't helping you do magick, then your theory could well be incorrect.

Secondly, as per your fireball spell - I've never seen nor heard of anyone throwing a fireball, and I'm willing to bet money that it can't be done. As I said before, if you can't do magick, it's a safer bet to change your methods rather than attribute it to some unstoppable force. Mayhaps you should try a different spell?  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

0Jason Voorhees0

Romantic Werewolf

9,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:14 pm
EladrinStarmist
Magic is like a river that's been diluted with negativity? That's a very unique view of magic you've got there. Care to explain how magic can be diluted or tainted?
I'll agree with you on the rest of it. If you've had absolutely not success with magic and rituals of late, there must be a reason.

Almost every one in the world will deny real magic. That is the negitivity. With no one using it or teaching it. It has become not adept to anyone using it. each prtion of the river has a diffrent type of magic, by denying it all, you mix it up and the river won't be able to tell fire from ice, or ice from dark, or dark from electric, or electric from light, ect. so in result it can't channel the right energy to you.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:07 am
Jacthnithd
EladrinStarmist

Almost every one in the world will deny real magic. That is the negitivity. With no one using it or teaching it. It has become not adept to anyone using it. each prtion of the river has a diffrent type of magic, by denying it all, you mix it up and the river won't be able to tell fire from ice, or ice from dark, or dark from electric, or electric from light, ect. so in result it can't channel the right energy to you.

It sounds to me like your expectations of magick are based on magick from fantasy works - while you can utilise some concepts from fantasy, things as blatant as fireballs or Thundaga are probably not going to work. That's my two cents, anyway -- you could always try reading something to get an idea of what can and can't be accomplished with magick? I don't mean to step all over your ideals, since you have just as much right to theorise as I do, but it's an idea at least.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:58 am
Mitsh
Jacthnithd
EladrinStarmist

It sounds to me like your expectations of magick are based on magick from fantasy works - while you can utilise some concepts from fantasy, things as blatant as fireballs or Thundaga are probably not going to work. That's my two cents, anyway -- you could always try reading something to get an idea of what can and can't be accomplished with magick? I don't mean to step all over your ideals, since you have just as much right to theorise as I do, but it's an idea at least.

confused i have to agree here, maybe you need to try realy reconnecting with the world, and stop trying to escape from it. magic is a science, a philosophy, a way of life, not just some bag of tricks and powers that make one better. it isn't something that can be "tainted" or anything. it isn't a river, because it has no boundaries at all. it is everywhere, omnipresent. the practice of magic is one of being in connection with all around you, not separate.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 am
Magic cannot defy the laws of the universe. Nothing can defy the laws of the universe. Magic is simply taking advantage of the laws that the universe runs on, through a complex understanding of these laws. You need to focus on learning things like physics, math, chemistry, and technology. After you understand the universe you live in, you can exploit how it works.  

Trollzors Vader

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100

Ask Jappleack

Greedy Consumer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:26 pm
historically magic was used to remove anxiety from things out of their control, used like psychological manipulation, the placebo effect, etc.  
The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games