Graphic Version of LOTR - Why Not? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Menegil
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:13 pm
In a very recent journey towards Middl...uh...I mean...LOTR Subforum, I discovered what appeared to be a thread concerning LOTR turned into "manga". I completely loathed the idea, but then I thought; "Why not a transaction from text to image"?

There are many people in the world that can't read, or even parents who find it difficult to transmit the world of Tolkien to their relatively young children. Why not create a book, completely or almost completely faithful to the true work of Tolkien, destined for people who cannot read/are blind (version in Braille)?

I would actually love to be able to read such a book with my future 4/5 year-old son/daughter.

Please discuss, and give your opinions on this matter.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:22 pm
As long as it's completely faithful to the book, and the images are based off of descriptions from the book and not the movies, why not? I kind of like the idea. 3nodding  

Slacktopian

Girl-Crazy Smoker

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:27 pm
I like the idea... 3nodding As long as it is true to Tolkien's work. I too would love something like that to show/read to any future children.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:29 pm
So like the Old Illustrated version of The Hobbit?
My friend has a huge green book that is the Hobbit but it has pictures and footnotes galore! It is very good and sounds like what you are suggesting.  

Onoj

Zurgi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:48 pm
That would rock. Then I could read it to my half-brother ^_^ He's turning three soon...phwee!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:53 pm
That would indeed be awesome. I remember being SO frustrated when I first tried to read them all by myself, at around age 6. I thought it would be ok, becuase my parents had read them to me (and unbeknownst to me, changed 99% of the words and sentanc structure) and it was fine. So yeah, an illustrated, well-done book would be great. *would make her little brother and sister read THAT rather than try the Hobbit (which the 6 year old is 1/2 way through! whee ) on them*  

zylaxidia

Imyavie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:08 pm
As long as its not manga style but more like a storybook, then thats fine.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:10 pm
imyavie
As long as its not manga style but more like a storybook, then thats fine.

3nodding I agree. Anything but manga style...  

Khorkalba

Falathrim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:16 pm
As long as it's not manga, sure, go ahead. I won't be buying it, of course.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:46 am
Onoj
My friend has a huge green book that is the Hobbit but it has pictures and footnotes galore! It is very good and sounds like what you are suggesting.

Yeah that's a grood I mean great.....good idea. Although, I'm sure they make a braile version already.

Who are you talking about?!  

closer

Elainya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:02 am
closer
Onoj

Yeah that's a grood I mean great.....good idea. Although, I'm sure they make a braile version already.

Who are you talking about?!

I have that book! But I'm not your friend...well, err I mean I'm not the friend that you know that has the book. *Phew* saved my a** on that one!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:38 am
Falathrim
As long as it's not manga, sure, go ahead. I won't be buying it, of course.
I was hoping that Ted Nasmith would create such a book...

*waits for a reaction*  

Menegil
Vice Captain

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:50 am
Isn't there already an illustrated version of The Lord Of The Rings anyway? I think it's by Alan Lee  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:03 pm
Isn't there an illustrated Silmarillion? I don't think it's quite as illustrated as a comic book, but it still has lots of lovely pictures.  

Nimbrethil

Menegil
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:14 pm
I am talking about a "kids version", not a book with illustrations. Much like those fairy tale books, completely faithful to the books, and COMPLETELY illustrated, with the text on a bottom "scroll", or even written on the image. It would be a large bookie, even if it was resumed, so both parent and child can have a good month reading it. xd

I am imagining the work of the illustrator...*shiver passes through his spine*  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff