Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I guess Christians aren't the only ones who get all puffy...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiporah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:43 am
...when you say that you are an atheist.

I used to practice wicca with my friends right when I started hanging out with my best friend again back in 2003-2004. It amused me, and it was my last attempt at bothering with religion.

I always felt like a fraud. I didn't believe in it.

I realized just how much I didn't believe when I got a jury selection statistical survey in the mail and I baulked at having to say that I had a religion.

So I told them and I stopped. My best friend has given me s**t for it off and on through the years since, trying to guilt me into it unsuccessfully.

It was my friend Heather's birthday on Monday. We were all at a bar.Well we're all out there in a circle. They're all talking about getting a coven together and having a meeting and blah blah blah. My best friend casually brings up that I no longer practice wicca, that I'm an ...atheist now.

One of the guys there looked like someone had kicked his puppy in front of him.

WTF. I've been atheist long before he ever knew me. He was all like, "I respect your descision, but after all you've been taught over the years..."

I don't remember what he said after that. I stopped listening, and just smiled and shrugged.

What is he talking about? I practiced wicca in a group, not even a dedicated coven for about one year before calling it quits. I read half a book in highschool and thought, "OH COOL. I WANT TO WEAR A PENTICLE!"

Tell me how that falls into 'years.'

Later he said something along the same lines and added that he thought I needed to do some soul searching. I just shook my head no. WTF. I've been at this point in my life longer than he's known me.

I don't know how this is discussion based, but meh. I had to write it somewhere people would care.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:12 pm
Since there really isn't a structure for conversation here I'll just semi-rant on a related subject. Is Wicca even a theist religion? From what I have heard it's more of an animistic religion (one based on spirits and the ability to use them for personal or group gain, as apposed[?] to theism which is based on the worship of gods which do of their own free will). So technically, if I'm not mistaken, are all atheists.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Kurai Keiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:54 pm
I find it very amusing that all religions share one thing in common: people like the guy you described that think they know everyone better than themselves. Phsst.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:59 pm
Apparently a friend of mine got all pissy about the fact that an ex was atheist, and then said something along the lines of ohhh of all things atheists are eww, how could you not believe in soooomething. >.>

And shes ******** Wiccan for ******** sake.
She goes and writes like two blog entries on how blahblah organized religions converting peoples suckssss...
And some loony line in there along the lines of "everyone believes in something, and whatever someone believes in will lead them to whatever god/deity/afterlife hoohah they choose, so stop converting..."

....*headdesk*

Sorry, I just thought she was ...errrgh. That whole thing just sparked my memory of her "eww atheists" line.  

GlitteringGalaxy

Sparkly Nerd

7,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Junior 100

prepkiller 666

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:11 pm
Funny, seeing as it's supposedly forbidden in Wicca to try to get someone of another religion to join it. (At least that's what my GF said)  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:14 pm
Wicca has become a trend religion.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Tchaik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:12 pm
User Image

My friend is sort of a trendy Wiccan, but not really. She knows her stuff, but she isn't all crazy like that.
Plus, she's totally okay with me being atheistic.
But yeah, there are snooty people like that from all religions.
My AP English teacher is a raging Atheist, and he is an a**. I can't stand him. He's convinced he's right about everything and feels the need to convince the whole class of such. neutral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:51 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Wicca has become a trend religion.

I think a certain J.K. Rowling may be partly responsible for that...

Dark Pieman

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff