Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"god given" Talents..?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:59 am
Avoir Le Retour...
I've been thinking about this for a while. In the bible, it says nonbelievers will live only a 'taste' of life. That is to say, a rather bad life. Now, I have only this question. I've seen so many of you who play instruments, and play them wonderfully. I play the piano, and I'd say I'm quite good. Yet, when I've had to participate in religious activities, I've seen so many pianists and other musicians alike, who are HORRIBLE at that instrument, but want to be wonderful. They tell me they pray all the time to be good, and they practice hours a day. Now, if I was living merely an imitation of a 'good life', why would I have a 'god given talent' when people who are devout Christians don't? Why would I have any talent at all? I'm only living an imitation, right?
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:33 am
It's nothing deep, it's just another way Christianity tries to pull people in. The Bible makes many empty promises, why not make another that says you'll be good at whatever you want simply by being faithful?

Now, if you're asking the Christians this, the true question is, "why does the Bible make so many promises it can't fulfill? More importantly, millions (I assume) of people pray to your God in hopes of having some sort of retribution, which leads to the question 'is praying just another form of wishful thinking?' or 'is there even a god who's listening?'"

Oops, that was a couple of questions in one.  

CaprinaePsi

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:42 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
You made a really good point. I mean, praying is really just hoping, in a sense, but is it actually being listened to, or is the person who's praying only wishfully waiting for something to happen? I of course, believe the latter, but I've yet to truly ask a Christian this: "Do you ever think if praying is nothing more than thinking?"
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:40 pm
Les Adieux
Avoir Le Retour...
I've been thinking about this for a while. In the bible, it says nonbelievers will live only a 'taste' of life. That is to say, a rather bad life. Now, I have only this question. I've seen so many of you who play instruments, and play them wonderfully. I play the piano, and I'd say I'm quite good. Yet, when I've had to participate in religious activities, I've seen so many pianists and other musicians alike, who are HORRIBLE at that instrument, but want to be wonderful. They tell me they pray all the time to be good, and they practice hours a day. Now, if I was living merely an imitation of a 'good life', why would I have a 'god given talent' when people who are devout Christians don't? Why would I have any talent at all? I'm only living an imitation, right?
...Les Adieux

Apparently, God loves you, too, but burning in hell is where he'll put you... with your wonderful piano talent. biggrin

<333 Lol.  

Kurai Keiro

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 pm
Avoir Le Retour...
Hehe biggrin
...Les Adieux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:40 pm
User Image

I get crap from my gramma all the time.
"You don't really think you're so good at the cello all by yourself, do you?"
wtf, gramma.

Tchaik

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:39 pm
Tchaik
User Image

I get crap from my gramma all the time.
"You don't really think you're so good at the cello all by yourself, do you?"
wtf, gramma.

She says that because she's jealous. scream xD  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 pm
What it was designed to do is label the good things you have as gifts. That way, since those meager talents and humble possessions are worth so much more, you're able to be easily contented in what you have.

The "Convert and get cool powerz!" bit came around during the rise of Roman Catholicism.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:38 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
What it was designed to do is label the good things you have as gifts. That way, since those meager talents and humble possessions are worth so much more, you're able to be easily contented in what you have.

The "Convert and get cool powerz!" bit came around during the rise of Roman Catholicism.
Avoir Le Retour...
As well, it was probably one of the main REASONS there was a rise of Roman Catholicism.
...Les Adieux

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff