Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply Art and Poetry
Second Star (a poem about growing up)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

is this any good?
  very good
  pretty good
  ok
  not so good
  this poem is made of suck
View Results

Toast Of Legend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:23 am
As I step off the transit bus into adulthood I find myself leaving my childhood forever, and I know there is something wrong.
My childhood may be gone but the 7 year old that I was never left.
Society makes me feel that I am alone, a child among adults.
But it is the child that I was that makes me the person I am.
I hear friends talking of marriage, and their dream home in upstate New York.
The whole while I’m mentally mapping the treehouse of my dreams, complete with giant ball pit, movie screen, and furniture made of Legos.
I acknowledge peoples worries about their places getting robbed or having homeowners insurance.,
But I’m only worried that my treehouse might not be ninja and raptor proof, and that spies might try to steal my rocket ship.
My female friends talk of taking self defense classes and how many cans of mace they carry around.
I laugh because I know kung fu from watching old Chinese movies, and mimicking Batman fight the bad guys on Saturday mornings
As my colleague discuss the environmental benefit of hybrid cars,
I think of vehicles powered by baking soda and vinegar, and wonder who would clean up the ooze they would leave in the streets.
I rate restaurants by the availability of ice cream and cake while those I dine with bicker over the quality of the alcohol and fish selection.
The people around me all speak of the jobs they are striving towards, Lawyers, Doctors, Chemists
I’m still wondering if I will ever find that sweet gig as a taste tester at a candy factory.
I have no issues with walking around barefoot,
whist the rest of the world is paying 45 bucks for shoes made out of old jeans and used tires,
because it’s the fashionable thing to do.
I laugh at farts and burps and dance whenever I hear music,
if that’s not acceptable in this grownup world then I wont grow up.
I’ll exile myself to some Neverland, following in my hero Peter Pan’s footsteps
I’ll become a lost boy, and make my own path through the urban jungle.
I know I’m not alone in my feelings, but I seem to be the only one with the guts to speak them.
So rise up my fellow children, embrace world as your playground.
And build your couch forts and wear a cape, remember who you are, and more importantly who you were. Because it is the child within us that knows what we really want. And usually what we really need.

P.S. I still sleep with a golf bag of toys at the foot of my bed, it contains a baseball bat, a hockey stick, a toy lightsaber, a 9-iron, and a japanese wooden sword, just in case i have to go Casey Jones on some foot clan crazies  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:29 am
I really like that...well done..wouldn't class it as a poem, but it's a grat piece of prose..  

walk like thunder

Toast Of Legend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:28 pm
it is a poem, but not of the ordinary type that one would find in an antiquated book of poetry, it was written for the express purpose to be preformed in a poetry slam, and therefore its flow is a bit different from the literary works we are so used to hearing  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:43 am
ok ok i just said I liked it, haha
I was just saying, to me it looks like prose, but if your the poet its yours to classify m'dear
whatever, its good  

walk like thunder

ElVl0

Wheezing Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:58 am
1 word... wow eek  
Art and Poetry

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items