Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
His Dark Materials Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:27 pm
So, I looked and looked and looked, but could not find any evidence of this topic having been discussed before in this guild. (Which, frankly, surprises me, this being an Atheist guild and all. o.o)

Who here has read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series? Anything you want to discuss about it?

Please mark all spoilers.

OH, and interestingly enough, it seems that there's going to be a sponsored event on Gaia for the upcoming movie adaptation of the first book in the series, The Golden Compass, in a few weeks. Can't wait for THAT. ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:46 pm
I tried reading it once, and I found it incredibly boring. sweatdrop

But while we're on the subject... My mom is a preschool teacher's aid at a Catholic school, and she told me that the principal pulled the books from the shelves at the book fair.

And I went on a tirade, to which Mum replied, "It's a private school. They can do whatever they want." rolleyes  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Koravin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:09 am
I haven't even heard of His Dark Materials, however I love The Golden Compass. I read it twice, and read The Subtle Knife and the third one. Golden Compass is my favorite, I can't wait for it to come out.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:42 am
Meirelle

But while we're on the subject... My mom is a preschool teacher's aid at a Catholic school, and she told me that the principal pulled the books from the shelves at the book fair.

And I went on a tirade, to which Mum replied, "It's a private school. They can do whatever they want." rolleyes

Which is true, you know.

Had it been a public school, it'd be illegal. However, as it is a private school (and not funded by the government), they can teach (or not teach) anything they want.  

CaprinaePsi

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:43 pm
Koravin
I haven't even heard of His Dark Materials, however I love The Golden Compass. I read it twice, and read The Subtle Knife and the third one. Golden Compass is my favorite, I can't wait for it to come out.

His Dark Materials is the name of that trilogy of books. wink So you've read it.

I absolutely LOVED that series, even before I was an atheist. I really need to reread it, though. *SPOILER ALERT* My brother just recently read it and got confused and asked me about a "Republic of Heaven" and I totally couldn't remember that at all...It was a long time ago. Although I do remember the angels being the bad guys...And her uncle (father?) was trying to overthrow God, right?

Yeah, I really need to reread it... sweatdrop

You know the movie's gonna ruin it, though. I have yet to see a movie based on a book that did not dissapoint (Yes, including Lord Of The Rings... stare ).  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:28 am
CaprinaePsi
Meirelle

Which is true, you know.

Had it been a public school, it'd be illegal. However, as it is a private school (and not funded by the government), they can teach (or not teach) anything they want.

I know. That doesn't mean I can't be frustrated, though.  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 pm
And there it is, just like I said! ^^

Now, if only the event item WORKED...

EDIT: I stand corrected, it works now. I am a satisfied little geek. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:13 pm
Michan Starfire
To the Christian Community of Gaia Online,

Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I come to you all with a plea, and I hope and pray you will listen. I know that I will be subjected to flaming and all sorts of hateful treatment for this, but I will not be silent. I am NOT afraid. This is too important for me to ignore

Do NOT go to see the movie "The Golden Compass." I know that Gaia has recently been advertising the film, and it has been portrayed as a harmless fantasy adventure. But the book series the movie is based on, His Dark Materials, created by millitant English atheist Phillip Pullman, was written in direct response to C.S. Lewis's Christian fantasy series The Chronicles of Narnia.

These are a few sections from a report on the story, in which Pullman is interviewed about his intentions for the series. The article can be found here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305487,00.html

"Pullman has not been shy in the past about verbalizing his beliefs — or, some might say, nonbeliefs — and his intentions in writing the "Dark Materials" novels.

The novelist has said they are in response to C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia," the popular children's fantasy series of which "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is the first book — written by Lewis to teach Christian ideals to kids.

"I loathe the 'Narnia' books," Pullman has said in previous press interviews. "I hate them with a deep and bitter passion, with their view of childhood as a golden age from which sexuality and adulthood are a falling away." He has called the series "one of the most ugly and poisonous things" he's ever read."

"Philip Pullman and I would say it is religion that poisons everything," said Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the atheist advocacy group the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and a co-host of Freethought Radio, a talk show that recently went national on Air America Radio.

Gaylor said her now-18-year-old daughter read the "Dark Materials" books "over and over" when she was a middle-school student about the same age as the heroine.

"What this book is about is casting off Church authority," Gaylor said. "I think it's very, very positive. There should be something for freethinking children. It's a very good yarn."

Fox News is not a favorite of mine, believe me. But you can also google "The Golden Compass" and "Christian" together, and it will produce some very interesting results, I assure you. Here's another interesting link: Urban Legends Reference Pages: The Golden Compass

I cannot make decisions for you. Some of you may flame me for this. But it is my deepest belief that it would be WRONG for me not to stand up and say something!

Children of God, please fight back! Don't be afraid to stand up for your faith. I truly believe that this movie poses a real danger to our children, because it is bait for them to read the books, which are vividly anti-God. Pullman even has God denounced as a fraud and killed at the end of his series.

Is this what we want our children to read and see? Our Lord Jesus Christ already suffered and died for our sakes. Don't let them try to kill Him again.

To those who would flame, revile me, and treat me with hatred for what I have to say:

I have many friends who are of different beliefs than my own, including Wiccan and Muslim. I love them all dearly, and we respect each other. NONE of us try to kill each other's God, Goddess, or spiritual figure out of hate. I would be just as angry if someone told my Wiccan or Muslim friend that they wanted to destroy their faith.

I have no quarrel with Atheists. They are entitled to their beliefs, and as long as they respect mine, we can get along. But when someone treats my faith, my community, and my God with hatred and intolerance, I will fight. And I will NOT give up. I would not be a true member of my faith if I did not stand up for it.

I am not sorry for standing up for what I believe in.

May the Peace of our Lord be with You,

~Michan

Lethkhar

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm
Oh, for-- Tolkien's considered to be one of the most Christian authors of all time.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:09 pm
Oh, lord. That's just ridiculous.

(Forgive my unintentionally ironic phrasing. >>)

ProjectOmicron88: What about Tolkien? This was about Philip Pullman. O-o  

Vakruz

Familiar Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:13 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Oh, for-- Tolkien's considered to be one of the most Christian authors of all time.

Do you mean C.S. Lewis?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:49 pm
There are a few essays, one of which Pullman himself wrote, criticizing Lewis and his books. Look up Philip Pullman on wikipedia, and I think there are links at the bottom of the page pointing to his critiques.  

Aerosheik

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:08 pm
Vakruz

The hell? My friend told me it was one of Tolkien's pre-LotR works. I have to kick his a** now.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:56 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Vakruz

The hell? My friend told me it was one of Tolkien's pre-LotR works. I have to kick his a** now.

rofl

It's still good; I swear.  

Lethkhar

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm
Meirelle
CaprinaePsi
Meirelle

Which is true, you know.

I know. That doesn't mean I can't be frustrated, though.

Never said you couldn't smile  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces