Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Sunday School for Atheists Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JadeDragonSoul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:08 pm
I got my weekly TIME email and magazine and found an article of a "Sunday school" for Atheists, more so, for their children to learn of values, critical thinking, and knowing that it's ok not to believe in a god. For example, instead of reading a bible passage they read Stone Soup to learn how working together can make something out of nothing.

I'm not sure how old most of you are and if any of you have children, but what is your stance on such gatherings? I payed close attention to the part where a mother had to deal with her son being shown the Bible by a neighbor. You know how young kids are, they believe almost anything an adult tells them. "Damian was quite certain this guy was right and was telling him this amazing truth that I had never shared," says Kneisley
And it doesn't just "target" young kids, but as you read you see that 11 year olds are also there.
And one thing that made me, and all other's who have read Dawkin's book happy is this quote: "He's a child of atheist parents, and he's not the only one in the world."
For those who haven't read The God Delusion, the thing is that the mother did not say: "My atheist child" Instead she said "A child of atheist parents". 3nodding

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:18 pm
That's interesting. I'm not quite sure what I think about that.  

Koravin

Aerosheik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:30 pm
I'm all for teaching children values and respect. And what else would you be doing on a Sunday morning? I still think they have the right to choose, the parents to some extent, and the children when they are old enough to decide for themselves. Which is a debate for another time. I think one 'group' that does something like this is called Universal Unitarians. They have music groups come play on Sundays, or Picnics, and different things of that nature on Sundays when other religious types are in church.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:39 pm
I like that idea, it sounds like a sudo-neutral community center. I wish I had one near me, cause it would be great to have this option of escape instead of a church.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Kurai Keiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:48 pm
I would probably send my future children there. XD It sounds great. I wish I could have had the opportunity to do that...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 pm
I don't know, I think it's enough to teach kids how to think for themselves.

If they think religion is false without understanding what "true" is, it's just as bad as the Christians who think it's true without reason.

Don't fill a kid with false ideas, teach them about reason and science and then let them take it from there.  

Healer Guy

kanpach_zaraki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:49 pm
Im 13 and I had to go sunday school for years. But this is quite interesting.

this forum made me think of having an atheist wife. That would suck having to settle for a super chritian. I can handle muslim's and Jew's though.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:25 pm
I believe that my child will have to analyse the world for themselves. I will provide them with information, but it's up to them to decide what to believe.

I don't think I support that sort of feeling of indoctrination I'm getting from this, so I'm gonna say no.  

Lethkhar

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
Even tho I don't want to have kids, if I did I wouldn't really like the idea of sending them there. Its pretty much the same as a Christian camp, but with atheistic beliefs. I would feel like I'm doing what Christian parents do, so I would just teach my kids to think for themselves and make their own decisions.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:25 pm
Lethkhar
I believe that my child will have to analyse the world for themselves. I will provide them with information, but it's up to them to decide what to believe.

I don't think I support that sort of feeling of indoctrination I'm getting from this, so I'm gonna say no.

Indoctrination? Please explain.

JadeDragonSoul

Redem

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:26 pm
JadeDragonSoul
Lethkhar

Well, that is what sunday schools are all about, in general. Indoctrinating children. So the idea of an atheist sunday school does have some overtones of the same.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:37 pm
Redem
JadeDragonSoul
Lethkhar

Well, that is what sunday schools are all about, in general. Indoctrinating children. So the idea of an atheist sunday school does have some overtones of the same.

Precisely.

An exclusively atheist "Sunday School" that encourages atheism is hardly better than an exclusively Christian Sunday School that encourages Christianity. I think the mere fact that I'm an atheist would show my child that it's ok to be atheist. I don't need someone to inculcate my child with anything other than the materials necessary for them to analyze the world around them and construct their own opinions.

And if they end up being a Scientologist because I didn't force my own beleifs on them, I think I could live with that.  

Lethkhar

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:00 pm
Zambimaru
Even tho I don't want to have kids, if I did I wouldn't really like the idea of sending them there. Its pretty much the same as a Christian camp, but with atheistic beliefs. I would feel like I'm doing what Christian parents do, so I would just teach my kids to think for themselves and make their own decisions.

And yet... how could they separate "fact" from "fiction"? If you tell them that there has to be proof in order to be believed, you're indoctrinating the scientific philosophy... if you tell them that they are free to choose whatever they want, regardless of the rational bases, they could end up believing in Santa till they're 25. Right?

Either way, i agree with what most of you guys say here... it's just like that Jesus Camp... only instead of archaic beliefs... they would be teaching them... the truth...?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 am
It doesn't cost anything to join, thanks and get involve to the community. Thanks!  

alpha male tayo

Candy Court

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:29 am
I don't think those types of groups are necessary. I would teach my kids moral values and ethics, but dwelling on atheism is...excessive. I was brought up with my parents never really mentioning religion or atheism. They taught me how to be a good person and that was that. These groups teach things a child would already learn in school or from their parents. Let the children pick if they want to have a religion later on, don't put them into a group exclusively for atheism and not let them make their own choices on what they want to believe.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff