Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A Confirmation of Unfaith

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cirosan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:56 pm
Every once in a while, I see a sight so particularly awful I laugh sorrowfully, and realize that for an event such as that to occur, there could not possibly be any sort of moral higher power governing the universe, for nothing positive could ever come from it. Today, I found such a sign in the form of a news article. I pass it along to you for your own interpretation:

Pit bulls kill miniature horse donated to cancer-stricken child in Texas

Granted, there are many, many, many worse things in the world, but for some reason this one stood out to me as particularly disturbing.

So tell me, brothers and sisters, has anything to this effect ever stood out to you in such a way?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:54 am
Welcome to my world. I think I have one better. Note this is local news for me.

http://www.al.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-32/1196107143160740.xml&storylist=alabamanews

Yeah, I think I could kill someone over something such as this.

sad  

Aerosheik

[Angry Masturbation]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:58 pm
._.

God, I know I could...assuming I was in a state of mind where I could think, and didn't just stand there screaming and crying.

Ug, and on top of all that, animal mutilations usually point towards some child sociopath in the early stages of becoming a serial killer. A couple towns away from mine, there have been reports of cats disappearing and turning up dead. For all we know whoever did this'll start doing that to people soon.

Scary, scary stuff =(

Yaup, no loving god there...just humanity at its worst.

A while back I read an article about infant-rape in Africa, I could hardly get through it, I felt so sick. Basically, for some reason there exists a superstition claiming that men with HIV could be cured of it if they have sex with a virgin...so in some desperate attempt to save their own lives some heinous individuals have started assaulting baby girls. Assuming this doesn't kill them, they'll more likely then not be mutilated for the rest of their life and infected with HIV on top of everything. Not to mention the stigma that goes along with it.

I'd look for the article, but I'm wary of typing anything along the lines of 'infant rape' into Google ._.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:15 pm
That's pretty bad.

There is nothing in life saying life has to be fair, or nice, or pretty. When you look how unfair, not nice, or ugly the world can be, as an atheist you may find it as symbolic of how there isn't a god.

Take a faithful theist and he/she will say that this stuff happens to test humans, and test thier faith in whatever god they believe in. I don't get it...but then again there is so much about mankind that I don't get.

There is on thing that popped out at me recently.A bumper sticker I saw a few hours earlier did prompt me to scratch me head. It said "No Jesus, No peace, Know Jesus, Know Peace."

I won't elaborate. It just popped out at me and made me think...in a world where there is religion there is no world peace. confused

Sanguvixen

Gritzmang

2,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:19 pm
That all sounds terrible...the world has no script...if it did...it would be a better place...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:46 pm
OMFG. People are so F'd up. I couldn't imagine something like that would happen. Also if that happened to my Cat the person that was responsible for it's live would become Hell.  

SkeletonPhoenix

alpha male tayo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:17 pm
From where I'm standing, it is not very likely at all that the supernatural has any effect on us, if it does exist.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:35 pm
these things are exactly why i dont believe in god. if he did exist, many of these things wouldnt happen. i believe a creator, greater being, whatever you wanna call him wouldnt let things like tht happen too little children with cancer. their life- however short- is miserable enough already!!!!!!!  

Ashalkin

LadyDarcia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:32 pm
Ashalkin
these things are exactly why i dont believe in god. if he did exist, many of these things wouldnt happen. i believe a creator, greater being, whatever you wanna call him wouldnt let things like tht happen too little children with cancer. their life- however short- is miserable enough already!!!!!!!

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but that would only apply to all-powerful and/or well-meaning dieties. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm
{ Frozen Dusk }

.: [That's kinda sad....yet I bet if I asked a minister...he'd say it was God's will ._. -shakes head-] :.

{ The Night the Sky was Afire with the Dreams of Eternity,
And the Pendulum Swung to a Different Tune,
I Gazed up at the Stars that Shine so Infinitely,
And All my Dreams were suddenly True
}

Pheranya

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:22 pm
rotten.com

It'll show you news articles and pictures of some of the most horrible things in the world. If that doesn't stop you from believing in God then nothing will.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:37 pm
TheDevilsLawyer
That all sounds terrible...the world has no script...if it did...it would be a better place...

Heh. No, the writers just went on strike. xp  

Sagara-kun-Blue

OmG NoMoR3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 pm
Christians would say that bad things are either the mighty fist of god spiting the sinful or god testing the faithful. I personally think it's a result of choices made by people, not deities.

Example: When my boyfriend and I got t-boned by a truck, he ended up in the hospital with some ruptured spleen and bruised kidney action. I had a concussion and was thoroughly miserable. His brother, an avid Christian believer, had the nerve to come into my boyfriend's hospital room and tell him that it was god smiting him for not believing and living in sin with me (i.e. together, unmarried).

You know why I think we got hit by that truck? Because the guy that hit us made poor decisions in the moments before collision. He chose to be speeding; he chose to slam on his brakes, which caused him to slide into us. As for they guy that stole all the expensive things out of my car? He chose to do that because he simply wanted CDs and 40 bucks. God did not manipulate these events in any way.

As for random things that affect people, such as disease, that isn't punishment either. It's simply chance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:37 pm
What's also sad is that I'm sure people will use this story and its headline as more fuel for the movement to outlaw and euthanise pit bulls, instead of placing the blame on the owners who presumably raised them to be aggressive dogs AND allowed them to run free through the neighbourhood. Anyway!

I think it's terrible that this happened (I almost got a little weepy when I read the article)... I can just imagine how that poor child feels, and I would really rather not. :/ I don't think it's really justifiably proof against god(s)... but I think it's also a bit dumb for believers to imply that a deity who surely would have much better things to do with his or her time would plan something like this.

It kind of makes me think of my mother, who sees nearly EVERYTHING as a sign from god. If she can't find what she's looking for at the store, she says, "Hm. Guess god's telling me not to buy it right now." I had a flat tire yesterday, and she proceeded to say, "God's telling you to stay home and get some rest!" Her second oldest brother spent many years in the early to mid part of his adulthood being irresponsible and rude, but in the last fifteen or so years of his life he completely turned around and even started a family (and he was a great dad). He died a year or two ago and my mother slightly offended me by saying, "God waited until he was ripe and then plucked him."

Perhaps not finding what you need at the store is a simple case of the store being out of that item? Perhaps I got a flat tire because people were doing work on the house I live in and got careless with their tools? ******** PERHAPS my uncle died because the doctor couldn't communicate properly with him due to the fact that he quite literally barely had a grasp of basic English, so he couldn't understand the symptoms my uncle described, or the fact that he became angry and defensive when my uncle and his wife asked questions to clarify the diagnosis.

I just can't stand this view that a supposedly all powerful sentient being would waste its time messing with every detail of everyone's life like that. If any gods do exist, don't you think they'd have more important things to do? Or at least more INTERESTING things to do...  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items