Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Charity work? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aerosheik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:29 am
What charities do you give to? Do you think it's possible to establish a charity organization that is atheist based and not turn it into what would resemble a church? Also, who or what type of people do you think deserve charitable giving?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:50 pm
I currently don't give to any Charities...I gave to Children in Need and Red Nose Day charity Events in the past year.

Lance Armstrong is an Atheist and started a Charity to help cancer survivors...If you think about it there are a lot of Charities which don't resemble Churches NSPCC, RSPCA, McDonald's Charity.

I think anyone in need deserves Charity, from the homeless to 3rd world countries to Children and even Animals there are a lot of Charities which help people.

There are some Charities which "say" help people but they are more Lobbying Groups trying to make government do something which I don't agree with. (i.e. Cancer Charities which lobby government to impose Smoking bans.) Also there are Church charities which who along concentrate on spreading Jesus than actually doing the Charity work they are meant to be doing. (I think these types of Charities should just concentrate on one thing Either Spread religion or help people...I don't care which.)  

Shaded Spriter

Aerosheik

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:52 pm
Thanks for your response. I want to give, but I'm having to decide who/what deserves my donations. Also I want to promote those that do not sell themselves as a religious organization. I'm going to have to do some digging on this. Doesn't Richard Dawkins have some form of foundation as well?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:17 pm
Right now, I'm considering giving to a couple of programs run by my friend's church. One is to give Christmas gifts to a couple of good-spirited but financially poor families nearby, and the other is a major project that's being run over in a number of countries in Africa to dig wells for villages that otherwise would struggle to get fresh water.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:56 am
User Image
I give to charities sometimes. Like in some stores where they're like, "We can add a dollar to your purchase and that will go to such-and-such charity." It's usually that kind of thing, and it's usually spontaneous. I never give out a lot all at once, but the money does add up. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:36 am
If they ask, and i have spare bucks... why not. But i almost never have enough change to put into those salvation army collection... thingies. Kinda makes me feel bad cuz those dudes shake the bells for a LONG a** TIME. hahahaha, then again... it's not for THEM so...

In any case... i think amnesty is kinda atheist, isn't it? Then again, they're all political oriented... they're still in need tho... so.

Also, isn't it ******** up how when [most] people think charities, they think spare change? I think the most i've given is like 25 bucks. And that was YEARS ago.  

AnonymouZ

Aerosheik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:24 am
It's kinda like in the movie, Office Space. They take fractions of a cent and roll it into one account. It does add up, a lot. I'm just trying to align my lifestyle and support of needy causes with how and what I believe. I say this because most organizations, whether they are non-profit or not, are taking a fraction off the top of each donation to pay themselves and the costs associated with running the charity.

I realize needy people are just that, and not necessarily looking at the foundation's morals, or beliefs that are giving them support. However, we have the opportunity to say something with our dollars when we do or don't support charities based on their alignment with how we feel about religion, politics, and/or the relative need of the cause being supported.

The only thing left is a good resource listing charities and organizations and their histories, views, and goals.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Let's see I've worked with (Going out collecting donations, helping at events, etc.) and given money to the following within the past year:

The Make-A-Wish Foundation
Give Kids The World (It's like a resort/theme park for kids who have terminal illnesses.)
The Multiple Sclerosis Society

I don't think any of these are religious based.  

Arios V

Shaded Spriter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:08 pm
Arios V

MAW is a charity which I have not donated to ever but I like.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:18 pm
Shaded Spriter
Arios V

MAW is a charity which I have not donated to ever but I like.

It is a great foundation, In the past year I've donated about $100 to MAW.  

Arios V

Tchaik

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:30 am
Through my parents church, I buy a present or two for a needy kid. It's religion-based, yeah, but I still like to do good things for people.

I also donate $1 a week out of my paycheck from work, to the United Way. It doesn't feel like a lot, but like everyone says, it adds up.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:30 pm
World Wildlife Fund. Save the planet.  

Koravin

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:27 am
Aerosheik
It's kinda like in the movie, Office Space. They take fractions of a cent and roll it into one account. It does add up, a lot. I'm just trying to align my lifestyle and support of needy causes with how and what I believe. I say this because most organizations, whether they are non-profit or not, are taking a fraction off the top of each donation to pay themselves and the costs associated with running the charity.

I realize needy people are just that, and not necessarily looking at the foundation's morals, or beliefs that are giving them support. However, we have the opportunity to say something with our dollars when we do or don't support charities based on their alignment with how we feel about religion, politics, and/or the relative need of the cause being supported.

The only thing left is a good resource listing charities and organizations and their histories, views, and goals.

Not just money for themselves, but money to pay for advertising. I mean... my parents used to (and still do i bet) receive those letter-things that ask for money ALL the time. I can only imagine how much money it takes to have that much paper used to ask for money. Money that COULD be used for the cause, but then, if you don't advertise, no one knows your cause and you're ******** dude, you seem to be really committed to this. Tho, an openly atheist charity foundation...? I haven't even heard of it... yet. There goes the advertising point again.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:54 pm
I have spontanoeuosly donated $53 to the Humane society before. But I feel bad, I haven't really donated a lot. I took part in a fundraiser for hurricane Katrina relief, when that was going on. But there's this really cool site, www.freerice.com and it gives you vocabulary questions with some hard ones! The more questions you answer right, more and more rice is given to hungry people in third world countries. Theres this other one, www.care2.com/click2donate that you can choose from a vairty of different causes, and I think it's something similar. I've only looked at it yet, it was in someone's store I was browsing. So Check these out and see if they're any good! Thanks yu! ninja  

Sagara-kun-Blue

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:26 pm
I don't really like to just give money to an organization. I like to more volunteer my time, which I think is more valuable to them then donations, which the majority of which goes to administrative costs anyway.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff