Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Jesus Camp Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm
I think this came up before but I have no clue if it did. I just watched on A&E a documentary on a Evangelical youth camp more or less, it was made a year ago. What I saw was the basic concept of brainwashing the breaking down and rebuilding of the childrens minds. Not to mention they called these kids " Gods warriors" the whole time. Earlier this week I watched a show or documentary on the use of children in the battlefield and the two show scary similarities.

Children Fighter

1. Brainwashing
2. learn to fire a weapon
3. scrimish- killing a small village or other similar event to get them use to killing humans
4. off to fight

Evangelical Child

Mental abuse- by making them feel guilty untill they're sobbing.
Rebuild- impose their veiw on the children.
Scrimish- they are brought out to demonstrate.
Off to try and take over the country in gods name.

I can't believe that any religion would be that desprate or low to brainwash children. When I was christian in sunday school they basically said god did this and that, and thats why you should love and worship him.
I still can't believe that the parents can actually rationalize this. Though I did see some hope there but it probable has died by now.

Jesus Camp Part 1  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:31 pm
I saw that crap on TV too. Where's the great unifying Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40k who set out to destroy the ignorance of religion and bring about the Imperial Truth, when you need him!?  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

[Perfect Calamity]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:45 pm
i think i watched like 10 minutes of that before i got bored..
if its the one im thinking about, i got up to the part where they started praying that the devil wouldnt take over the churches mikes and powerpoints.
was it at Devils Lake?

I find it funny how Christians are the only group that [publicly] does this..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:44 pm
I could write volumes about this movie, but for the sake of brevity, I'll only say this:

That camp ruins children. Religion, I'll admit, is mostly harmless. Overconfidence in one's religion, however, is where problems arise. While one can have their own beliefs and superstitions, the line is drawn when they interfere with their life and the lives of those around them.

The camp preaches bigotry and intolerance, closemindedness and irrationality, and everything else required to doom an individual. The children attending and being indoctrinated by that camp will be unable to function in the real world, simply because they are crafting a person taught to hate so well it shows on their faces like harelips, people welcomed only by those who hate just as they do to shadowy basements plastered with cheap slogans and posters, people who shove high explosives into lengths of sawed-off pipe, people who plan to massacre and destroy in the name of God.  

Cirosan

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:39 pm
I don't know where it was I miss like the first 15 minutes though. For me the worse part of it though was when the kid where handing out fliers, one of the kids while walking away from a group of old black men " I think they're muslim." That just made me go wow because I've never seen an 7-10 year old say something so racial.

Also what religions did the red tape over the mouth with life on it? Just asking because a bunch of students did that at my school a while back and the movie reminded me of it.

Cirosan I'm in total agreement with you.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:03 pm
I watched Jesus Camp too. Made me so angry!  

Glamarama

Pet Of Cinix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:02 pm
the way those kids were so friggin' DOGMATIC scared the s**t outta me! eek The teacher was also talking about how the Islamic religion puts their children through rigorous training, and it sounded like she was ADMIRING THEM!!! HFS!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:00 am
I can't say that there's anything short of rape and murder that disgusts me more.

And this is somehow legal?  

Tenth Speed Writer

Tchaik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 am
User Image
I watched clips of that on Youtube, and I got sick to my stomach. gonk

Even though I hate children to an irrational degree, I felt so sorry for them that they were being put through all of that. Even the guy she talked to on the Christian radio show thought she was a nut case.

This is the kind of thing that reminds me how happy I am to be atheistic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:18 pm
Also isn't one of the leading repubicans a evangelical? I think it's huckibie or something. Like many of you already said it sickens me but the thing I fear most is that these children will one day grow up and be able to vote. Thats if the world isn't F'd over by 2012.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Tchaik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:40 pm
User Image
Yes, Huckabee is the Evangelical candidate.

I'm starting to pay attention, because I've registered and I'm voting this year. C:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
I can't say that there's anything short of rape and murder that disgusts me more.

And this is somehow legal?

The government will permit a lot of questionable things, so long as its in the name of God.

Better yet - and this just speaks for itself - the official name for the camp, the name given to it by Becky Fischer herself, is "Kids on Fire". Oh, it gets better: It takes place annually at this location without fail: Devil's Lake, North Dakota.

I'm sorry, but normally, when one hears, "Kids on fire at Devil's Lake!", they call the police, not send their children.  

Cirosan

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 pm
Tchaik
User Image
Yes, Huckabee is the Evangelical candidate.

I'm starting to pay attention, because I've registered and I'm voting this year. C:

I'm voting to but not in the primaries, I don't turn 18 untill sept.

P.S. all hail the knight who say Ni.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:47 pm
I'm fine with religion- although I don't like the idea of relying on a god or gods for comfort, I'm fine with those that do, unless they take their beliefs to such an extreme that they oppress other people.
These people fall under the latter category.

I wasn't particularly angry about this movie until the scene in which they view one of the children in home school and he says "I think Galileo made the right decision by 'coming to christ'."
That just infuriated me. How such ignorance existed in the first place, never mind how it's being TAUGHT to CHILDREN, is beyond my comprehension.  

OH NO ITS DEVO

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:34 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
I saw that crap on TV too. Where's the great unifying Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40k who set out to destroy the ignorance of religion and bring about the Imperial Truth, when you need him!?

That quote would make my boyfriend love you. I saw this documentary last year during fall and it was pretty freaking scary. Bunch of people got drunk while watching it to deal with it and there was more than one beer can chucked at the tv in anger.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff