Tolkien Poems... discuss and share!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dracolish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 pm
Cat

disclaimer!!! this wonderful work belongs to J. R. R. Tolkien, and was copied from the book "The adventures of Tom Bombadil" pg. 108; intended only for cultural promotion, in no way belongs to dracolish and in no way this tries to break copyrights

The fat cat on the mat
may seem to dream
of nice mice that suffice
for him, or cream;
but he free, maybe,
walks in thought
unbowed, proud, where loud
roared and fought
his kin, lean and slim,
or deep in den
in the East feasted on beasts
and tender man.

The giant lion with iron
claw in paw,
and huge ruthless tooth
in gory jaw;
the pard dark-starred,
fleet upon feet,
that oft soft from aloft
leaps on his meat
where woods loom in gloom
-far now they be,
fierce and free,
and tamed is he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as a pet,
he does not forget.

discuss!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:20 am
Does this poem "take place" in Middle Earth? Because I'm curious about the line "in the East feasted on beasts;" does it refer to real lions in the East or does it reveal where Middle Earth's lions lived?

Because I was wondering about the geographies of the rest of Middle Earth just yesterday! We know that most of Tolkien's world is a temperate region (the Shire, Rivendell, Rohan, Gondor) and that in the South, Harad is a hot area much like Africa, but it makes me curious about the East. Are there any jungles in the world? Could the East be the more tropical, lush region?

Anyway, none of this speculation matters if the poem takes place in our real world. xP  

Puddum

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dracolish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 pm
Puddum
Does this poem "take place" in Middle Earth? Because I'm curious about the line "in the East feasted on beasts;" does it refer to real lions in the East or does it reveal where Middle Earth's lions lived?

Because I was wondering about the geographies of the rest of Middle Earth just yesterday! We know that most of Tolkien's world is a temperate region (the Shire, Rivendell, Rohan, Gondor) and that in the South, Harad is a hot area much like Africa, but it makes me curious about the East. Are there any jungles in the world? Could the East be the more tropical, lush region?

Anyway, none of this speculation matters if the poem takes place in our real world. xP

I'm so sorry, this poem seems to take place in our world, lets not forget Tolkien did not only create middle earth... but i ss'pose your speculation is right, if the oliphants exist, there must be lions and tigers, right?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:12 am
Well, seeing as this is from the Adventures of Tom Bombadil it is probable that it could also be set in Middle Earth. Isn't that book supposed to be a collection of Hobbit poems and stories? Sam's poem about the Oliphaunt shows that the Hobbits have stories about these creatures from distant lands even if they don't really believe in them. The east of Middle Earth could be something akin to the Serengeti or the forests of India. As I don't believe Tolkien ever gave much information on the eastern lands, or even on Harad for that matter, it's open to interpretation.  

Tears of the Siren

Dracolish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:38 pm
True, true... what do you think about the poem, anyways? i find it great... call me a fool but the part of :
"and tamed is he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as a pet,
he does not forget."

really motivates me... i'll try to post shadow bride or oliphant later  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:54 pm
I really like it. Pity I memorize it for my poetry contest...

Is the poem Errantry in Adventures of Tom Bombadil?  

Tears of the Siren

Atalantë - A new beginning

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff