Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I just bought The God Delusion Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Unique Views
  +1
View Results

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:44 pm
I'm hoping to dig in and read this book. Does anyone else have it?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:32 pm
I have a copy. I haven't gone cover to cover, but I've read through a few of Dawkins' points. He's got a very sturdy position, and I really respect him; I just think he's a little bit hostile to be such a figurehead for atheism.

Other than that, though, I'd have to say, he's quite a man.  

Tenth Speed Writer

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:52 pm
He addressed his supposed hostility in the paperback preface and mentioned compared to some other things, which I agree with him on, it's not really that hostile.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:52 pm
He makes his position known rather bluntly, no question, but I wouldn't call it hostile.  

ProjectOmicron88

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:52 am
I agree with Omicron there. It is certainly blunt, but hostile? With anything else we associate hostility with a degree of violence of language, or with a degree of aggressiveness. Not so with atheism, where disagreeing and being blunt with it is somehow aggressive. We need to deal with this impression, not least by refusing to use their terminology.

The terms "Militant atheism", or "Fundamentalist atheism" just seem so forced compared to their sues in relation to Islam or Christianity.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:35 pm
I own it and I've read it cover to cover. I'm actually re-reading it at the moment. Richard Dawkins is my role model; i love how he doesn't sugar-coat his opinions, which is probably why so many people hate him ^.^ I'm don't think he's hostile so much as pissed off and fed up with how the world and society has been run up until now. I have to admit that at times, i probably look hostile too.  

Ruminating Skeptic

JadeDragonSoul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:47 pm
I read it.
My brother read it.
And my friend is reading it right now.
And one friend is waiting to read it.
(all my copy)
I love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:58 pm
Good to know it's worth my time 3nodding  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

OmegaSidanto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:59 am
I want it but I can't find it anywhere.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:47 am
Don't you have a Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstore nearby?  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Kiyrugoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:24 pm
Well, I have read it once. It didn't impress me - he was merely saying what had been stated many times before. Maybe the thing that impressed everybody was the way that he tried to drive his point across in a matter akin to beating an elephant to death with a cudgel. I just... didn't like it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:28 pm
I love richard dawkins, as evidenced by my avatar's name. The God Delusion was great. I don't think he's an "Angry Atheist" but he is clear and unapologetic when it comes to his views. I avoid throwing his name around when I first start talking to Christians because they tend to go on the defensive so quickly, but I still try to use his main points.  

Rick Dawkins

JadeDragonSoul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:03 pm
Rick Dawkins
I love richard dawkins, as evidenced by my avatar's name. The God Delusion was great. I don't think he's an "Angry Atheist" but he is clear and unapologetic when it comes to his views. I avoid throwing his name around when I first start talking to Christians because they tend to go on the defensive so quickly, but I still try to use his main points.

Yea. I plan on rereading it when I get it back to take notes. whee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:04 pm
Kiyrugoji
Well, I have read it once. It didn't impress me - he was merely saying what had been stated many times before. Maybe the thing that impressed everybody was the way that he tried to drive his point across in a matter akin to beating an elephant to death with a cudgel. I just... didn't like it.

I got that impression too, but then I realized that the target audience is not people who are already atheists.  

ProjectOmicron88

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces