Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
The End of Mostly Harmless Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Super Radical

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:38 pm
I finished it just a few minutes ago, it was so beautiful. I'm sure this sounds rather crazy, but my eyes won't stop watering, and my neck has a big knot in it. That was so amazingly beautiful.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:04 pm
I'm still confused as to what the hell happened at the end. >.< Sad I know.  

Daska

Merlinssister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:05 am
I'm mostly confused in what happens in the whole thing, never mind the ending gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:54 pm
Merlinssister
I'm mostly confused in what happens in the whole thing, never mind the ending gonk
XD  

Daska

Super Radical

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:09 pm
I didn't really find it that confusing, what were you confused aboot?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:44 pm
Well the whole book wasn't confusing just the last paragraph.

(SPOILER! FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ MOSTLY HARMLESS!)

The part when the Vogon destory all the paragel Earths. Did everyone die at the ending? I'm so confused at to what exactly happened to everyone at the ending of the book. sweatdrop

Daska

Zombies Ate My Savior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:12 pm
Daska

The part when the Vogon destory all the paragel Earths. Did everyone die at the ending? I'm so confused at to what exactly happened to everyone at the ending of the book. sweatdrop

Yes, they all died.

Jesus Christ that book made me so angry.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:16 pm
Daska

Spoiler: (if you havn't read mostly harmless).

The Earth was on a probability fault line (or something) and that caused it to pop in and out of existance every once in a while. The vogon used the Guide II to destroy every possibility of it ever being again. So that way it won't exist in any universe ever.

And remember Arthur and Trillian got off Earth when the vogons were going to blow it up the first time, so he couldn't check of the little box. Because they're part of the Earth too.

And the guys on Rupert were the ones who had it blown up in Mostly Harmless.

So they died, all of them, on the Earth. Remember? Ford laughing manically and Arthur finally feeling that there would be peace from now on for him.

Super Radical

Daska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:55 pm

(spoiler)
Ok I understand now thanks for explaining it to me. Now I am angry how could they all die.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:08 pm
If you don't like the ending (ME), the last episode of the recent radio show had an epilogue of sorts after the Earths blow up.

Spoilered just in case (From Wikipedia, highlight to see):

Arthur, Ford, Random, Zaphod and a merged Trillian (Trillian and Tricia McMillan) in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Max Quordlepleen introduces Zarquon. Meanwhile, Trillian is getting off again with Thor.

It is discovered that Fenchurch is waitressing at the Restaurant. She had an experience similar to Arthur's - from her perspective he had vanished. She has been waiting for him at Milliway's since it seemed like a good place, and agrees to go travelling with Arthur once more. She has brought a phone call for Zaphod, from Marvin, who has been working at the Restaurant now for thousands of years (having discovered that his warranty hadn't run out) and has had a promotion, and now has his own bucket. Zaphod tells him to give the Heart of Gold a hot wax.

Finally, after the credits, Jeltz is able to tick the box that he is supposed to tick after he has destroyed the Earth and Arthur goes flying with Fenchurch.

Zombies Ate My Savior

Daska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:14 pm
But the radio show doesn't end with the Earth blowing up. confused  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:14 am
I didn't like the ending very much, but at least it had a sense of finality about it (confusing finality; but finality nevertheless). It's worse when a series ends and you think "But there could be another book!" and then people churn off terrible fanfics about it.  

wingnut the improbable

Daska

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:21 am
I hate fanfics. gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:39 am
I liked the ending, it was a finally. It had closure for all the characters, which was wonderful. I think Douglas wanted to make another sequal to it because he didn't like the way it ended, but I think it was good. But then again, he was the author, he could write himself a way around it so that they can still continue their adventures.  

Super Radical

wingnut the improbable

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:07 pm
Doubtful Salmon
I liked the ending, it was a finally. It had closure for all the characters, which was wonderful. I think Douglas wanted to make another sequal to it because he didn't like the way it ended, but I think it was good. But then again, he was the author, he could write himself a way around it so that they can still continue their adventures.
Yes. I'm afraid to know how he would have done it, though. It would probably be some scary thing about improbability that would make my brain hurt.

And Daska, I hate fanfics too.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games