Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Cornered Atheist" approach doing us harm! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a "closet atheist" outside Gaia?
  yes
  no
View Results

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 pm
How do we promote atheism without coming across as "angry atheists" while not purposefully distancing ourselves from great thinkers and scientists like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens who bluntly and outrightly attack religion?

I agree with many of their viewpoints and I think religion is devastating, even in it's most liberal forms. However, we've seen what has happened since we atheists have been backed into a corner and retaliated. The public has recoiled and smeared us as angry and militant. Let's face it: Atheists are the new gays in America. It's obvious the "cornered Atheist" approach no longer works.

So what kind of goals should we set for ourselves in the short term if our long term goal is to have a more secular country? Or should that even be a goal? Should we just attempt to get the liberal and moderate religious on our side to stop the fundamentalists from corrupting this country?

sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:23 pm
I personally don't encourage people to be Atheists. I believe that part of the reason why you don't hear of Atheist "extremists" is because we don't go around trying to convince anybody that our way of thinking is superior. That's what theists do. I truley think that it takes quality thinkers to "discover" Ateism in their own way. People who can be talked into Atheism could probably be talked into any religion if the argument was convincing enough. Do you really want those kind of people sharing your philosophy? Plus, I also feel some people aren't mentally strong enough for the personal responsability that comes with Atheism.

Furthermore, when you begin to promote one way of thinking over another, eventually you'll begin to feel that it's better, superior, and "right." After that it's only a matter of time before this sense of "right" leads you to persecute those who think differently. Then, once again, we'd be no better than theists. neutral

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:04 pm
Far from the "new gays."

When was the last time you heard the word "atheist" even mentioned in the media when it wasn't related to either a religious-right republican or a debate on evolution?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:31 pm
I don't have any goals like that. I live in a nice, non-bible belt part of the country and don't plan on moving.

Xiporah

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:55 pm
Kharybuce
I personally don't encourage people to be Atheists. I believe that part of the reason why you don't hear of Atheist "extremists" is because we don't go around trying to convince anybody that our way of thinking is superior. That's what theists do. I truley think that it takes quality thinkers to "discover" Ateism in their own way. People who can be talked into Atheism could probably be talked into any religion if the argument was convincing enough. Do you really want those kind of people sharing your philosophy? Plus, I also feel some people aren't mentally strong enough for the personal responsability that comes with Atheism.

Furthermore, when you begin to promote one way of thinking over another, eventually you'll begin to feel that it's better, superior, and "right." After that it's only a matter of time before this sense of "right" leads you to persecute those who think differently. Then, once again, we'd be no better than theists. neutral

I agree with you if someone is to become an atheist they should choose to be. Thats because to me any religion that goes out and tries to convince others are showing that they have a fear that their religion isn't right. Your thing about people not being mentally strong enough is also true because religion gives people a fall back so they don't get depressed, etc.
To the last part the only right thing that I can think of is that no one is sure if they're correct and if they believe they are they're fooling themselfs.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:58 pm
We shouldn't have any goals because that cause use to get organized and if we organize we might end up with an atheist bible.  

SkeletonPhoenix

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:15 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
We shouldn't have any goals because that cause use to get organized and if we organize we might end up with an atheist bible.

My bible is already Maddox's "Alphabet Of Manliness", so that idea's out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
It's true.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:36 pm
I feel very strongly that atheists should not go out to "Convert" theists into Atheism. Atheism should be a last resort when upon searching all other things, nothing that "feels right" is there to be found.

What one chooses to believe or not believe in is a personal thing. I would rather people become atheist through thier own self-actualization, than by being informed by someone of the idea that there might not be any gods, and that the whole thing might be made up by humans, for humans.

That way, when they take up the baton of choosing to not believe in gods, thier stance is more thought out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:18 pm
Sorry, just an after thought. What I mean is an atheist bible that all atheists must adhere to. That would restrict atheism to a single belief because none of our veiws are exectally the same.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:04 pm
Why promote atheism?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:58 pm
As much as I would love to go around and promote Atheism, I don't because that would make me just as bad as the Theists.

I think that people should not be converted to Atheism by the words of another man, but by their own revelations.  

Arios V

Cirosan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:11 pm
Remember, there is a big difference between promoting our viewpoints and spreading Atheism. We can still advocate and advertise the ideals of secularism and liberty without becoming militant.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 pm
Cirosan
Remember, there is a big difference between promoting our viewpoints and spreading Atheism. We can still advocate and advertise the ideals of secularism and liberty without becoming militant.

That's how I meant to put it. I don't think we need to actively convert people to atheism. But there's nothing wrong with promoting secularism in our government and trying to provide kids with a choice when it comes with what they can believe early on in life.

We can sit back and avoid converting people to atheism, I agree with that. But we can't sit back when it comes to keeping our government and education system secular. Fringe Christian groups like dominionists will have free reign to start making changes. We atheists are actually on the same side with most religious groups when it comes to social issues. Fringe groups like dominionists are giving the majority of easy-going religious groups a bad name. If we could drop the angry atheist stereotype and connect with the overwhelming majority of reasonable Christian groups then they can help the fight against fundamentalism. It would put a stop to religion and Intelligent Design creeping into our classrooms and government. stressed  

Rick Dawkins

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:05 pm
Rick Dawkins
Cirosan

That's how I meant to put it. I don't think we need to actively convert people to atheism. But there's nothing wrong with promoting secularism in our government and trying to provide kids with a choice when it comes with what they can believe early on in life.

We can sit back and avoid converting people to atheism, I agree with that. But we can't sit back when it comes to keeping our government and education system secular. Fringe Christian groups like dominionists will have free reign to start making changes. We atheists are actually on the same side with most religious groups when it comes to social issues. Fringe groups like dominionists are giving the majority of easy-going religious groups a bad name. If we could drop the angry atheist stereotype and connect with the overwhelming majority of reasonable Christian groups then they can help the fight against fundamentalism. It would put a stop to religion and Intelligent Design creeping into our classrooms and government. stressed

Well, your heart is in the right place. However, I'd have to disagree with the first statement in bold. I've met Atheists who were animate right-wing conservatives, and I've met Atheists who were extreme liberals as well. I've met Atheists who were anarchists, communists, and even some who believed in re-establishing a monarchical government. Hell, in this guild we have Atheists who believe in magic, some believe in souls, and there some still that believe in heaven and hell, and a variety of other variants. I truley believe the reason there hasn't been a real politically recognized organized Atheist group is because of the immense spectrum of Atheists out there. And it is because of that that I feel it would be very hard for any group of people to gather and claim that they speak for all Atheists. I know that the very man that you've modeled your username from does not represent me, my philosophies, nor my views on Atheism.

But the good thing about this, if you'll forgive a little ranting on my part, is that this shows that Atheism is not a fad, or a idea that only apeals to people of a certain class, education, heritage, or race. I believe that Atheism is a truth. Plain and simple. No different than the truth that the sky is blue or that fire burns. It is because truths are so blatant that anyone who is willing to think will come to the realization of it. I currently speak to an Atheist who doesn't believe in the atom simply because it cannot be seen with the naked eye. This person follows the principal of "if I can't see it, it probably doesn't exist" so strictly that the idea of god becomes rediculous. Anyone can be Atheist, but anyone cannot join any religion. This is because religion expects you to follow a set philosophy, therefore, only people who agree to follow it can join. Atheism really has no philosophy. You simply don't beleive. After that, you can adopt any philosphies, practices, and rituals that you like. If you've read this far, sorry for the long rant.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff