Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Thoughts on current Sex-ed Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiyrugoji

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:22 pm
The public schools of today seem to be spreading an abstinence only message when it comes to sex-ed. Maybe I'm alone, but does anybody else believe that this seems to... well, follow religious doctrine slightly? Maybe I'm just pessimistic.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:08 pm
I think the abstinence-only plan for sex ed is a good idea because a lot of kids old enough to learn about it are not intelligent enough to practice safe sex.  

ProjectOmicron88

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:14 pm
I went through a sex ed class where it was Abstinence only.

The funny thing is, that although the class was called "Sex education" there was no educating about sex going on.

I learned more from the General Discussion forum on Gaia about sex, than I did in that classroom. That's sad. neutral

I vehemently oppose the idea of teaching kids "Abstinence only" because that is not educating them. It is not effective. The ideal behind it is good, but unrealistic.

Teenagers figure out, I suppose, that sex feels good. It is better to give them a more well rounded education. Sexual themes are everywhere.

Teach kids more than just the ideal of saving thier virginity until they are in a financially stable situation/relationship/married. Teach kids also, that if they are going to go down that other route, and expose themselves to the risks, and dangers of having sex while young, than they should take responsibility to be safer about it, making use of birth control techniques, such as condoms, and the birth control pill. It wouldn't hurt to teach them the basics on how to use birth control correctly. What good is them using a condom if they don't use it correctly?

Just as well stress that later on down the road, they should have thier partners tested before getting into sexual relationships with them. They should know before having sex if thier partner has STDs or something similar.

It is better to give them a well rounded education, than leave them in the dark, so that thier peers can fill them in with much false information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:54 am
I'm glad my schools, even the two catholic schools I went to, actually taught us about it.
Not just 'don't do it.'  

Superior Jazz

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:36 pm
HA! My sex -ed class was horrible they give it to you freshman and 8th grade year where most everyone is still kinda thinking it's dirty to french kiss.
They should really give it in sophmore and junior year optinol, cause any earlier it's like the kids aren't ready to take the information or even have fun with the class. (Later and it's like, FREE CONDOMS!)

Mine was a whole room of people staring at the teacher going.

"Why the hell can she not stop talking?"

And i do see the religious undertoning and agree they should so all sides of sex ed, it's not like kids today are as ignorant as they used to be. We have/ know so much more that The older generations didn't even know back then. Recently my mom found out I knew about certain sexual postions and she freaked about how I knew about it all. LMAO

I know one thing for sure I learned more about sex-ed out of the class than in it, friends are the real sex-ed teachers.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:49 pm
I don't think "Abstinence Only" classes is really a good idea, since it pretty much invalidates the reasons for even having a sex-ed class to begin with.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't teach abstinence, but that they should make it a part of the "safe/safer sex" part of the curriculum.  

Arios V

Rune WolfHaven

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:20 pm
Abstinence is necessarily a Christian policy.

It's been a while since my sex ed classes, but I don't remember learning about safe sex. I do agree they need a rounder cirriculum. Teenagers are going to have sex whether they get an education on abstinence or not. So, best to teach them about safe sex and such.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 am
HA! I did a whole thing in my head about this. Except I was bashing Texas while I said it. Living alone has made me a sad individual. *sniffle* I'm so lonely...

No but... I don't think sex ed classes should be abstinence only. I had a really good sex ed class in my freshman year of highschool. And we didn't have to do the banana condom. Nyar. pirate

The thing is, I lived in a lower class middle economy area and people around there just didn't give a flying fig if their kid did it or not. One of my best friends lost her virginity to a drug dealer at the tender age of twelve. I dunno, I didn't think we needed a sex ed class in sixth grade, and then I learned she was screwing him and.. it was probably a good thing she learned what happened from where and why it happened. She's a slut. I still love her though. Abstinence doesn't work. It doesn't happen (unless you're an ugly F U C K like me.). And I've also learned that it makes people feel bad about themselves when they do get into that kind of situation.

My cousin, she said she almost killed herself because she went to third base with a guy. Not a home run, but damned near. And the only reason she didn't go all the way was because she was living with her parents and... Yeah. Well, she was home schooled and they're really religious, so I can only imagine what she learned about sex. I love my cousin, she's cute, funny, nice. Not the smartest kitten in the bundle but that's alright. Anyways, the moral of my story is, now she's in college and... Well, we all know about college right? Yeah... I can only guess bad things are happening. Well, bad if her dad finds out. But also... I wonder if she knows whats going on. She said that condoms were only 48% effective. I told her they were 99% effective if used correctly and all the time. She didn't believe me. So I only have to assume that... if she is doing it... only 48% of the time she's using a condom. That frustrates me.  

PickleBoy

Xiporah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:58 am
It was very USE A CONDOM-ish when I was in school. One lady that came in promoted the use of latex gloves when 'masturbating your partner.'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:05 pm
User Image
Now that I think about it, I was never given a sex-ed class. I had 3 semesters of "Health class" and only part of one semester was dealing with sex. And even then, it was "ABSTINENCE. or maybe condoms if you really must."
Teaching only abstinence is ineffective. Like that one quote I can't remember that said something along the lines of "teaching only abstinence to teenagers is like giving them a cocktail umbrella for a monsoon"
I lol'd biggrin

Tchaik

Inferno Breeze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:01 pm
I'm lucky I didn't get an "abstinence only" class, our teacher actually taught different types of contraception but also added in a heavy dose of consequences.... but i really don't think 13 year olds should be "doing it" anyways :

also.... I think that they need to separate the girls and the boys for sex ed ... i mean... at that age, some of the kids are still really immature about private parts (even though others are... sadly enough... already active) and the girls really don't need to know about the guys' feelings and such in that detail and guys don't need to learn that much about the menstrual cycle -____-  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:16 pm
Inferno Breeze
I'm lucky I didn't get an "abstinence only" class, our teacher actually taught different types of contraception but also added in a heavy dose of consequences.... but i really don't think 13 year olds should be "doing it" anyways :

also.... I think that they need to separate the girls and the boys for sex ed ... i mean... at that age, some of the kids are still really immature about private parts (even though others are... sadly enough... already active) and the girls really don't need to know about the guys' feelings and such in that detail and guys don't need to learn that much about the menstrual cycle -____-

I think it helps if guys learn about the menstrual cycle. That way they don't think that a stork brought the baby and implanted it into their wife. Also, that way they won't be like "Well... can't you just plug it up?" Or whatever other silly notions go on. I think biology is an important part of everyone and so everyone should learn it.

When I was in sixth or seventh grade, I can't remember really, we were taken to the Museum of Natural History and Science and boys and girls were separated into different rooms. I don't know what the boys were taught but the girls were shown where the womb is, how a baby grows, how it fits, what the menstrual cycle is all about and also about female contraceptives. It was really neat and pretty much sponsored by the museum. I dunno if they still do it, but I hope they do. It was a good class. And then we go to go through their new exhibits and yeah... I love the museum *is a big nerd*

Tchaik... thats an awesome quote. I've heard it before as well but I couldn't tell you it word for word.  

PickleBoy

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:35 am
Xiporah
One lady that came in promoted the use of latex gloves when 'masturbating your partner.'

Where's the fun in that?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:08 pm
Abstinence-only is about keeping people ignorant of their sexuality and teaching them to see it as disgusting, dangerous and shameful. Not only does it not work, it robs young people of their dignity by assuming that they are stupid and incapable of making healthy, well-informed decisions. This assumption is used to justify hiding important, sometimes life-saving information and even to justify blatant lies.

ProjectOmicron88
I think the abstinence-only plan for sex ed is a good idea because a lot of kids old enough to learn about it are not intelligent enough to practice safe sex.

The reason these teens aren't "intelligent" enough to practice safer sex is usually because nobody informed them or condoms and other contraceptives were not available.

And besides, what business is it of yours what these people do in private, anyway? What do you have to gain by teaching them to fear their own bodies?  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:07 pm
Sex ed at my schools (elementary through high) was not really abstinence-only; they did mention the existence of contraception methods like condoms... but never did they teach us about their proper use. Really I suppose it essentially was abstinence-only with a cursory nod to contraception. If they'd actually teach good information about sex perhaps we wouldn't have so many unwanted pregnancies...  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff