Submit

I folllow the...
  Story
  Fighting Techniques/Gameplay
  Both!
View Results

Neogian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:16 am
For all of Tekken, which of the 2 subjects do you follow more?
Personally, I follow more of the storyline than anything else. Though it's nice to know a few moves by heart. Story/Gameplay = 80/20. ...I feel like I should know d1+2+67djfytruetc the internet fighting language, but I just don't XD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:52 pm
Both  

Crazy_Eaze

Tekkensennin
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 am
The storyline would be the reason I started playing Tekken. Since Tekken 5 I've been trying to improve my gameplay too after seeing some of the stuff on youtube, before that time I thought I was a great player when in reality I sucked a**. These days my gameplay has improved alot and I can hold my own pretty well, but I have a long way to go before I can get to the scores in larger tournaments. Sure I kicked a few asses there too but the majority just beat me to the ground, which I see as a positive thing, it showed me I have a lot to learn.

SO, BACK TO THE POINT!

For me, the gameplay and the storyline walk hand on hand. The storyline's great and keeps it interesting in it's own way, (with a few exceptions) and the gameplay shows how good you really are. And for me, I'm never good enough.

50/50 for me 3nodding

PS. People kept talking about how crappy Tekken 4 was, I didn't understand this because back then it was more of the story for me, but now, after Tekken 5 and DR when I tried T4, it really did suck a**.
Also, people are talking about Tekken 6 being broken with too many death combos. For me that's okay, I wanna get to try some huge a** juggles for once. And if those juggles happen to beat me, I'll just have to adapt.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:11 am
Both really, but if I had to choose just one then definately gameplay as this is the reason I still say Tekken 3 is my favourite Tekken. MAYBE with the exeption of Kuma/Panda I don't think I've played a more ballanced game...actually I know I haven't, Tekken 5 & Tekken 5: Dark Resurection are a step back in the right direction after Tekken 4, but I still get the odd leg going through people with no damage inflicted. The juggle counters are also still removed, by now we should be at least on juggle reversals/chickens.

e.g a character is being juggled using punches from the lower half of their body, the character being juggled then grabs the arm of their opponent by crossing their legs over the arm, then using their weight (etc) drives the character who was previously juggling in to the floor. (b+3+4 when timed with an enemy attack. damage = 30?)  

DemonSpirit666

Tekkensennin
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:54 pm
DemonSpirit666
Both really, but if I had to choose just one then definately gameplay as this is the reason I still say Tekken 3 is my favourite Tekken. MAYBE with the exeption of Kuma/Panda I don't think I've played a more ballanced game...actually I know I haven't, Tekken 5 & Tekken 5: Dark Resurection are a step back in the right direction after Tekken 4, but I still get the odd leg going through people with no damage inflicted. The juggle counters are also still removed, by now we should be at least on juggle reversals/chickens.

e.g a character is being juggled using punches from the lower half of their body, the character being juggled then grabs the arm of their opponent by crossing their legs over the arm, then using their weight (etc) drives the character who was previously juggling in to the floor. (b+3+4 when timed with an enemy attack. damage = 30?)
Hmm... I think b+something would be kind of too simple for a juggle parry/reversal... unless the timing has to be really sharp, like when reversing King's figure four? What I want to see is air graps for everyone. They wouldn't have to be actual throws like King's and Marduk's though, take Hwoarang for example.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:15 am
Tekkensennin
DemonSpirit666

Hmm... I think b+something would be kind of too simple for a juggle parry/reversal... unless the timing has to be really sharp, like when reversing King's figure four? What I want to see is air graps for everyone. They wouldn't have to be actual throws like King's and Marduk's though, take Hwoarang for example.

Yeah...that's a start, at least the character being juggled wouldn't be the equivelant of the "floating dead" any more (unless I'm missing something), however my point is this: if you can do something in a game (especially fighting games), there must be a way to counter act it and/or return the characters back to their original fighting possisions using the most relevant buttons, if the game players are good enough that is.

I would like to see something like the depth of what could happen after an "ultimate tackle" (e.g escape tackle, flip over tackle, right/left/right punch escape, arm bar/leglock escape) used in as many areas as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy playing Tekken from time to time (damn, I wouldn't have bought a PSP with T5: DR if I didn't lol) but although the times I see limbs go through bodies without causing damage are less regular since Tekken 4, that is still the main thing I think they need to work on IMO! (so collision detection first)  

DemonSpirit666

ladyvader89

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:37 pm
Both, the storyline keep you asking yourself ''what going to happen next?'' Also like when new characters come to the mix. The gameplay is the graphics, the throws I still having little bit of a complication on. xd  
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:25 pm
GO GAMEPLAY!!!!! no really...i mean if the gameplay sucked(not saying that it did)how would you ever survive playing a game like tekken? sure it has a cool story,but the gamplay is the reason it has a good story...no wait...uh...ok you play tekken for the story and the gameplay sux...i couldent play a game like that.  

Steve_west_DMC

Lili Angeline

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:47 pm
There must be balance to it, if it's more focused on the storyline or gameplay,
possible is that it might get boring. So I agree on that 50/50

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:41 am
i follow both.. both can motivate you in a lot of ways.  

Hyung Horangi

Gabrielk7

2,550 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:17 am
I follow the gameplay more than anything, because if it has a good plot but you have to torture yourself playing a crappy game only to know how the story develops, then I won't play that game. Graphics isn't something I consider crucial, I prefer detailed moves rather than detailed textures.  
The Tekken Force

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games