Reply Realistic Fiction
Life of Pi

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

H20edDownAzn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:50 pm
To anyone who has read the book "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, which version of the story do you think is correct? Did Pi make up the first story to cover up the tremendous horrors he underwent during his travels across the Atlantic? Or perhaps, the second story was made up because it more closely satisfied what he thought the investigators would find more realistic? In the end does it really even matter which story was true?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:56 pm
I've read it... I liked the first part, when he wrote about common life of Pi his nick-name and things like that, than I liked the part with the strange Island but I hate the ending - it was a nasty trick... I suppose he had a great idea for a novvel but after writing it he thought he might make it intelligent elite-only, and that's what destroyed it...  

Inepta

Silveryew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:29 am
I've read it....I dont really think it matters, its still a lovely book. I keep wondering what happened to the tiger though.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:46 pm
I am actually inclined to believe the one with the animals- but it really doesn't matter. I do love the ending of the book, where he challenges the Japanese fellow with "Which do you think is the better story, the one with the animals or the one without?" I love how it doesn't seem to matter to him which is true, because both are true to some extent.  

Wings Akimbo

midnightxeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:57 pm
I want to believe the first story, but the second one is more realistic. However, in the end, I don't think it really matters. Whichever story is true, the book is still wonderful, and he still survived an adventure.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:08 pm
LOVED the book. And for some reason, the animal version seemed... truer. Crazy? Yes, but I just feel like that.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

serephemeral
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:05 pm
What an amazing book! I loved it! The ending blew my mind, and the Japanese men made me laugh, actually. 'Do you want a cookie?''Yes, please.''But he hasn't eaten the ones we've already given him! I can see them underneath his mattress!' rolleyes

Personaly, I prefer the better story to the dry, yeastless factuality. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:16 am
The book was okay. I was hoping the tiger would have eaten the guy, then it would have been more interesting.  

Tomokie Masen

Angelic Fairy

11,575 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Building the Army 50

thinmint2000116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:57 pm
I LOVED the book. The version with the animals seemed to me to be the true one but I don't think that it really matters in the end.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:01 pm
I'd rather the version with the animals was the true one, so my reading 100 chapters wasn't in vain. biggrin  

JaelValentine

Earthest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:46 am
I like the animals version too. I still hope that was how it really happened. (I'm going to hunt the author down and beat him up till he tells me.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 pm
Earthest
I like the animals version too. I still hope that was how it really happened. (I'm going to hunt the author down and beat him up till he tells me.)
(ummm... it being fiction, neither really REALLY happened.) neutral  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Realistic Fiction

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items