Reply Other Genres
Poe Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

H20edDownAzn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm
I noticed most of the books listed here are contemporary works. How about we go old school? Anyone else a big Edgar Allan Poe fan? What do you like/dislike about his works? What's your favorite story? Do you think his humour or his horror works are better (I'm gonna have to go with horror, his verbose and highly intellectual style lends itself better to horror than comedy)?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:38 pm
Poe is amazing. I got his collected works for Christmas (I don't have to keep getting them from the library -.-;; )
I agree about the horror thing. Part of that is just that humor doesn't carry over time as well as horror does.
I really like a lot of his shorter stories, like The Sphinx and The Masque of the Red Death.  

-Pacis Nex-

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:01 pm
I really enjoy Poe. His horror is more appealing to me, probably because that was what he was known for. I love The Murders in the Rue Morgue, as well as The Fall of the House of Usher. I like some of his poetry too, like The Raven.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:50 pm
I know only few of his short stories but I think they are all well... Best in their category... I've read also American Boy (well this one is more about Poe's father) and The Poe Shadow - they were awfull.  

Inepta

foxy-kitty-meow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm
Does anyone know why he does horror poems and short stories? I'll tell u why, his parents dies when he was young, his aunt and uncle took him in, his aunt(who he really loved) died later on, his uncle no longer funded him, he married his cousin and she died later on.
Poe did those depressing poems because of how he felt, those poems came 2 mind just from living his life. My favorite poem of his is Alone. In that poe he says " From childhods hour I was not as others were, I could not draw my passions from a common spring."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:00 pm
Yeah, we learned about his history in English class. He was also a very disturbed man overall. He was an alcoholic and many of the closest people to him died. It's not surprising that he used his own life and thoughts for inspiration. Most authors do that. It's just his thoughts were slightly more grotesque than most....  

penandpaper67
Captain

foxy-kitty-meow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:54 am
Can you blam him?
My english teachure that sparked my interest is the best english teachure I've had and so I got the Complete Poems And Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe. It's really good biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:47 pm
I've only read a few Poe works, but I enjoyed all of them. Which one was the one that had the cat? I forgot what it's called, but I thought that that one was the best. I'd love to get a collection of his work because I simply don't have time to borrow from the library...  

irock708

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm
irock708
I've only read a few Poe works, but I enjoyed all of them. Which one was the one that had the cat? I forgot what it's called, but I thought that that one was the best. I'd love to get a collection of his work because I simply don't have time to borrow from the library...

The Black Cat, possibly? It's the one where he lodges an axe in his wife's brain. He also hangs a cat and cuts its eyeball out with a penknife (ewwwww eek )  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:32 pm
Oh, yeah. That's the one. I love how grotesque he can get. It's brilliant! biggrin !  

irock708

foxy-kitty-meow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:07 pm
Like I've said can you blame him  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:09 pm
No, I really can't. I wasn't trying to in the first place.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Walter Joven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:34 pm
Poe, though most people don't notice, is very descriptive and smart.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:25 am
I don't think it's that people don't notice, they're just too grossed out by his horror to appreciate it. But it was the style of his time, to be descriptive at least.  

penandpaper67
Captain

i2avera_chian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:18 pm
I like his writing, not because of how "groteseque" it might be, but of all the drama contained in it, he has got his own way of adding some of him to his work, like that love poem, " Annabel Lee" I love that one, and I also like the black cat and specially the other one in which he listens to his wife's heart and begins getting nervous, I don't remember what it's name is in english. besides he is very descriptive.  
Other Genres

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff