Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Money Talks, Young Earth Walks" Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:18 pm
I just thought I'd point you all in the direction of this very interesting post in the atheist network forums on a creationist museum in dire straits
http://www.atheistnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?t=22048
I found it quite interesting and deliciously ironic that they have to auction off a dinosaur head, that they're stating as 40,000! years old, in order to get funds. So much for the young earth crap eh?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:28 pm
I didn't even know there was a Creationists Museum. I hope they didn't tamper with the artifacts to make them fit their "idea" of history. stare  

Kharybuce

Newbie Noob

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:46 pm
Would you please add some more text? Talk about why it is interesting?

Give a summery of it? Without more text this belongs in the random sub-forum. A link and a tiny bit of text does not cut it for the main forum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm
Kharybuce
I didn't even know there was a Creationists Museum. I hope they didn't tamper with the artifacts to make them fit their "idea" of history. stare

I did...it's quite pathetic. It has Dinosaurs in it, and presents Dinosaurs as having existed at the same time as humans.

Sanguvixen

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 am
Sorry Vixen, I fixed the post.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:01 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Sorry Vixen, I fixed the post.

Thank you. I don't mind members posting links, and using them as a source of discussion, so long as they post more than just a link and a tiny bit of text.

Links alone belong in the random sub-forum.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:04 pm
Hey...wait. A Mastodon isn't a dinosaur. stare

It's a close cousin of the Mammoth. Did they have that thing is the dinosaur exhibit? If they did I'll puke my lunch up in disgust over their stupidity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:48 pm
Sanguvixen

I did...it's quite pathetic. It has Dinosaurs in it, and presents Dinosaurs as having existed at the same time as animals.
I thought dinosaurs were animals?

biggrin  

Napoleon_Danneskjold

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:50 pm
Napoleon_Danneskjold
Sanguvixen

I did...it's quite pathetic. It has Dinosaurs in it, and presents Dinosaurs as having existed at the same time as animals.
I thought dinosaurs were animals?

biggrin

Oops...typo.

Wait how did that get there?

It should say "Presents Dinosaurs as haviing existed at the same time as humans."

My mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm
I love the contradiction. Creationists claim the world to be only 6000 years old, but the Museum has the Mastodon Skull listed as around 40,000 years old.

Well, it looks like the Mastodon is going to make their claims go extinct.

Sanguvixen

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:04 pm
Sanguvixen

It's a close cousin of the Mammoth. Did they have that thing is the dinosaur exhibit? If they did I'll puke my lunch up in disgust over their stupidity.

One of the most notable differences between mastodons and mammoths are their teeth. A mastodon's teeth are more ridged, it's hard to describe but sort of like a valley while a mammoth's teeth are flat for grinding plant matter.
Ah, here's a picture of each side by side.
Tooth comparison.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:26 pm
Sanguvixen
I love the contradiction. Creationists claim the world to be only 6000 years old, but the Museum has the Mastodon Skull listed as around 40,000 years old.

The museum does not list it as 40,000 years old. The auction house does. Not having any museum-related or auction-related experience, I'm not entirely sure how much say the museum has in how the auction house markets the items. It seems pretty unlikely that the museum would hand over the skull and say, "let's call this 40,000 years old, ok?" However, they might have had to approve the listing or had some opportunity to contest it. That I don't know.  

Dronning Dagmar

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:50 pm
Dronning Dagmar
Sanguvixen

The museum does not list it as 40,000 years old. The auction house does. Not having any museum-related or auction-related experience, I'm not entirely sure how much say the museum has in how the auction house markets the items. It seems pretty unlikely that the museum would hand over the skull and say, "let's call this 40,000 years old, ok?" However, they might have had to approve the listing or had some opportunity to contest it. That I don't know.

Wait, isn't the Auction house associated with the museum? Or are they two separate entities?

If they(the Creationist Museum) push to have the date made below 6000, than they are staying true to their ideals. Since they don't seem to make much of a fuss, it is obvious that money to run that museum is more important than the ideal that it is meant to convey. That still tastes like a bit of hypocrisy, if you ask me.

If they want to make a big statement, they should fuss about the Auction house listing the item as 40,000 years old, and then make them list it as less than 6000. Or they could recall the auction if the auction house will not comply, and then show that the are really devout to their idea.

It would be interesting to know the more intimate details between the Auction house and the Museum, because the museum must have had some word in dating the skull.

Would they have even allowed regular carbon dating? Most creationists consider Carbon Dating as a false method that yields false results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:56 pm
Lunar Falcon
Sanguvixen

One of the most notable differences between mastodons and mammoths are their teeth. A mastodon's teeth are more ridged, it's hard to describe but sort of like a valley while a mammoth's teeth are flat for grinding plant matter.
Ah, here's a picture of each side by side.
Tooth comparison.

I know the difference between a Mastodon and Mammoth. I was just simply pointing out that a Mastodon isn't a dinosaur. I don't understand what a Creationist Museum would want with a Mastodon specimen when their focus is more on dinosaurs and humans.

Sanguvixen

Dronning Dagmar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:21 pm
Sanguvixen
Wait, isn't the Auction house associated with the museum? Or are they two separate entities?

I assumed they are separate since museums typically don't auction stuff that much. I've never heard of a museum also running an auction house, and if they are in such dire straits, running an auction house as well as a museum seems like a pretty bad idea.

I found the website for the auction house. It definitely has nothing to do with the museum.

Now, I'm not saying it's not funny or hypocritical, but I don't think it's fair to accuse them of labeling it themselves when they didn't. It's easy enough to make fun of creationists while still keeping facts straight. xp  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff