Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply -The Guild's Main Forum.
So Tyra Banks Had A Topic About "Cyber Bulling" Today....

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Syresin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm
A girl killed herself because someone left her mean comments on myspace.
Seriously, are people retards?
If some is bothering you, GET OFFLINE AND DO SOMETHING ELSE.
I guess this girl couldn't figure out how to close a window and get over it.
"Cyber Bullying" is so avoidable. You can block whoever's bugging you, get a new account on whatever website you're on, or just not go online for a few days.
The amount of attention "Cyber Bullying" is getting is ridiculous. People really need to get their heads out of their asses and figure out that no one has to live online, or read messages they recieve.

Discuss!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:46 pm
I think that today's generation is being brought up too sheltered. So, that when something does not go the way they want it, they can't cope with life. It's like come on, grow up, and realize LIFE IS NOT FAIR.  

CelticPrincessMe

Th3-Cursed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:08 am
i have a different view on that.....

people nowadays think they can say everything cuz of this freedom of speech....but they forget all the other things in life...like thinking of your fellow humans...i mean....seriously..when i wuz at school...i had to fight against so much of these people....cuz they think they can say everything....without even thinking about how sumone else will take it....they dont care about that.....and i think..if its like that...then take away their freedom of speech....my entire school got messed up thnx to these kind of people...everyone has a different life...keep that in mind...before you say sumting....think about your actions ....not afterwards....

to much different religions and beliefs.... .

....get your head out of your asses.....tsss....damn dude... stare  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:19 am
and btw....most of these people....that insult others or are mean to them......cant take that same insult either and dont like it themselfs either if sumone would do that to them.......cuz then they get mad....and will start fighting......

story of my life....  

Th3-Cursed

Th3-Cursed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:24 am
and what more weird.....why should people like me be retards ....just cuz we have a different view on this.....or get their head out of their asses......

no offense....but maybe its the other way around.....

freedom of speech is ok....but dont missuse that fact.....  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:14 am
I agree with you to a point. People have no right to be that mean to others....and that some people are too close-minded. I myself dealt with a lot of those people in high school. But, it made me a stronger and better person b/c I overcame it. There is no need to take drastic measures b/c of it...like taking your life or shooting up schools.  

CelticPrincessMe

Th3-Cursed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:22 am
CelticPrincessMe
I agree with you to a point. People have no right to be that mean to others....and that some people are too close-minded. I myself dealt with a lot of those people in high school. But, it made me a stronger and better person b/c I overcame it. There is no need to take drastic measures b/c of it...like taking your life or shooting up schools.

maybe ..but if people taking their own life...isnt proof enough that people should be a little more nicer...then wut is?and why..?do people have to act so bad to another person...while most of the time these people are also nice to them..?i mean..ive always been nice to people...until they stop being nice to me....eye for an eye ...and thats exactly the problem...cuz when that happens...the s**t really hits the fan...cuz then its the other way around...and then those people dont like it anymore.....

and maybe in your eyes there's no need to take drastic measures...but that exactly my point....were not all the same...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 am
if 1 person thinks he or she can be so mean towards another...then that will have a reaction....no matter if you or i like that reaction....cuz it all started with 1 person thinking he can say or do everything he or she likes....

which is not true....  

Th3-Cursed

CelticPrincessMe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:14 am
That's where I agree with you. B/c no one has the right to treat anyone badly. We should all be treated like human beings...and not trash. Believe me I try to be nice to everyone. But some people just can't stand nice people. I think it has something to do with their own insecurities. Maybe one day the world will be better. But, until then we all need to find a way to get past it.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:32 am
yes, people tend to behave very badly in an anonymous arena like the internet. They don't have to face consequences and it's not face to face so they can show the worst side of themselves. I stopped hanging out on IRC because it's mostly populated now by either idiots or people who enjoy pretending to be an idiot to get a rise out of others.

You shouldn't be so harsh on the girl. The transition from child to adult can be very straining. It's bad enough that you have to deal with coping with the changes that are occurring at a fast pace, but now you've got this crap to deal with. Not to mention, she could've been clinically depressed or have some serious issues due to her parents. Depression is a real disease and it's not like these people are always thinking rationally.

Also, think about it. If kids can be deeply influenced by seemingly trivial actions from the parents it's not a leap to think frequently encountering disparaging remarks could also affect them.

I think the real issue is that people are raising their kids to be bad people (or at least bad kids). There was a recent story in my hometown of a 7 year old boy who was found in the school bathroom hanging from a hanger with his pants down. He died because of suffocation from his shirt.  

olusx

CelticPrincessMe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:07 am
That's sad. Only 7 years old....people are sick. There are a lot of things that can cause a person distress and mental "issues" ...there's no doubt about that. I think parents should be educated in the signs of depression, so that they can get their child help when needed.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm
There are a lot of factors that are left out. How old was she? Did she have a boyfriend? ever? or girlfriend? Did she have friends? ever? Were people mean to her online, or were they always mean to her? There are too many variables to make a strong opinion one way or the other on something like suicide. The Catholic part of me thinks, well no matter what it was wrong. But the human part of me thinks it sounds like there were a lot of things that weren't mentioned. Cyber bullying alone can't cause someone to kill themselves. It was probably just the straw, some small thing, that broke the proverbial camels back, nothing but the trigger and yet it gets all the credit..

Sigma, if your issue is with cyber bullying getting attention in the media.. well welcome to shock journalism. Sex isn't the only thing that sells, disaster sells too. I was just talking with Olus about this today, we heard yet another story about a 40 year old woman having sex with a 16 year old boy. This is common now and getting a lot of press, it's the next "priest molesting children" story. It's "in" to report on women commiting statutory rape. What's really sad, to me, are stories like these desensitizing us to the wrongness of this kind of thing.

I agree with everything Olus said too. People will be 100 times more cruel to someone, 100 times more likely to find a weakness and exploit it if they have the comfort and security of anonymity. It's almost like a drug, releasing that rage on someone, makes them feel powerful when they're really just small.. petty people.

Rutalia

narutorocks1109
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:02 pm
rutalia..l since im 11 (im mean 13) am i supposed to get wat u just said?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm
narutorocks1109
rutalia..l since im 11 (im mean 13) am i supposed to get wat u just said?

hmm Let me see what if i can narrow that down for you a bit...

1) Never judge people based on a quick glance of the situation, always ask questions, dig a little deeper, and don't be judgemental.

2) people are stupid never listen to anything they say

3) olus is always right.

rofl I think that's it smile

oh and 4) the media sucks

Rutalia

narutorocks1109
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:08 pm
w00t! media sucks!  
-The Guild's Main Forum.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff