Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Hitchens debate

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 am
A video with Christopher Hitchens debating against an Oxford Theologian.

Specifically his opening statement. He said it all, what the problems with Christianity, even the most moderate incarnations of it, are.

The basic theology is simply repulsive. Not just Christianity of course, but he focuses on that.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:27 am
I watched the whole thing and was disappointed (though not entirely surprised) that McGrath didn't really address the more interesting points Hitchens made. All he said is that he had a different perspective. Well, great, what is that perspective? To bring up just one point, in what perspective does it make sense for God to wait 98,000 years to intervene? If you aren't going to dispute that God waited 98,000 years, then you should defend it. He did neither. Instead he wasted a good deal of time convincing the audience that not all religious people do awful things, which was never the argument.  

Dronning Dagmar

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:54 pm
Yeah, he pretty much just gave up on the actual debate there.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:45 pm
I watched that halfway through. I think the first guy had many good points. However, when the second guy showed up I couldn't watch more than a minute of it.

Religion is the topic to be discussed. Not Atheism...so you don't need to bring Atheism into the beginning of your opening statement.

Sanguvixen

Fox In Bunny-Clothes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:43 am
This shows us, once more, that Christians don't really care about the world around them, so much so that they try to change the set topic of the debate and don't even really respond. its shows more cowardice really.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games