Submit

You like?
  Yes!
  No, not really.
View Results

Magmatic

Magnetic Genius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:20 am
I'm definately rewriting this due to some suggestions from others that I've gotten and ideas of my own.
I'll re-post it as soon as I finish chapter one, and then see what everyone says!

Thanks, guys.

Chapter One

Summary: The Heavens and the Hells have been at odds with one another since the dawn of time. Angels versus demons in a never ending struggle for dominance, and the fate of the human race. There has always been a small balance between the two worlds, however. When humans die, they go to either Heaven, or Hell. The balance of souls is what keeps them evenly matched. But, when two children are born that can see ghosts, that changes. As the twin children grow older, they begin to realize that they can help the spirits they see reach heaven, rather than going to the fiery depths of Hell. What will become of these two when a group of five demons, Lucifer's most powerful followers, come to dispose of them for upsetting their world?

I'd love some feedback on this. :]

Characters and story belong solely to me, please no stealing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lyric, I'm scared..." A dusty-haired girl pled, burying her face into her brother's shoulder. Flames had long since engulfed their surroundings, their parents lay dead somewhere in the ashes of their old home, it was just them...against five very strong and angry demons.

He wrapped his arms around her protectively, "I know, I am too... don't worry, we'll make it." With that he took her hand, ready to run for it and pull her along, but a demon blocked their way.

They could see very little of the mans face, for he was entirely cloaked in black, but those eyes, those red eyes that flashed as he killed his sister in his arms, he'd never forget.

Then he too felt the stab, the demon had driven his hand through his chest, crushing his frantically beating heart with one swift movement.

"Be gone, foul humans, be cursed to my home, my castle. Never again feel the comfort of happiness and forever be chained to the eternal flames of Hell!" The fire grew ever larger and brighter, so much so that it completely blocked what was left of his dwindling vision. He could feel his heart stop beating, the blood flowing out of the gaping wound in his chest, and yet his arms remained locked around his twin's already lifeless form. The demon merely watched with grim enjoyment as the two gifted humans collapsed before him, never again to walk to mortal world, disrupt to balance between Heaven and Hell, or even be happy.

"Such is the fate of those who tamper with Death." A female demon sneered. She too was cloaked entirely in black, though a few locks of burgundy hair peeked out from under her hood, as well as the same bright red eyes as the other demon. Her form was ungodly skinny and statuesque under the baggy cloak.

"What should we do with the bodies?" Another male asked, a third demon, also enshrouded in a black cloak. His eyes glowed as brightly as the rest.

The first demon scoffed at the corpses, kicking them out of the way roughly. "Let them burn."

:::.::.::.:::

"Wake up, come on, I know you can hear me!" A female voice demanded impatiently from right above him.

He grumbled incoherently, turning over and ignoring her completely. He wanted sleep, and she wasn't going to be a stunt in that.

The brunette glared at him furiously, her hands on her hips. "God damn it Lyric, get your lazy a** up!" She shouted, kicking the mattress over with one swift movement and successfully dumping the lazy Archangel onto the floor. "Lyric, you know damn well that we have an assignment today!"

Oh, he knew. He disentangled himself from the mess on the floor, standing up and shaking his now messy mop of dark hair so that it fell into place, with his bangs over his left eye. "I know, I know. But you also know that I didn't get any sleep last night." He glared without much enthusiasm, picking up the mess of blankets and pillows and just tossing them into a corner.

The brunette smiled, allowing her arms to fall to her sides. "I know, I let you sleep as long as I could, trust me." Her attitude dissipated completely, replaced with a motherly compassion . She pushed a bit of her hip-length hair behind her ear before pulling the whole lot of it over her shoulder, keeping it out of the way of the two large, white wings protruding from her back. They were identical to Lyric's, though one of his wings was black, while the other was white. "As your Guardian, I can't lie about trying to help you." Ever since he was born, he was her assignment. And now even after death she still watches over him, helping him wherever and however she can.

He really couldn't care, there wasn't enough in him at the moment to care. "I know, Aeryn." He repeated impatiently, looking around for his shirt. He was only in a pair of pants, leaving him bare-chested. He wasn't shy around Aeryn at all. Being his Guardian, she'd seen a lot worse. "When are we leaving?" He pulled his shirt over his head as he said this, his wings disappearing briefly before reappearing through two slits in the back of the material.

Aeryn rolled her eyes, "As soon as you're ready."

It was always exciting going to the mortal realm. Venturing away from the safe haven of their home in the sky and helping out humans suffering from Demonic interference in their lives. That was what Aeryn and Lyric were doing today. There was a small town plagued by a mysterious disease, and once one got it they surely died within a week. They had been sent because the job was too big for the humans' Guardians. Lyric being an Archangel, and Aeryn being one of the most powerful Guardians, could probably do the job.

The skies were oddly dark today, grey shadows being cast over the barren land with the threat of rain. Altogether a very dismal scene. The two angels glided above the houses, looking for some sign of life. They were invisible to the mortals, so they took the liberty of letting themselves into a house.

A small family inhabited the small wooden structure. A mother wept because both of her children had succumbed to the disease, while the father made tea at the stove not too far away. Lyric and Aeryn glanced at one another and nodded, deciding to start here. It wouldn't take long to cure the children. The evidence of them being cured wouldn't show up for a day or so, but they definitely wouldn't die. They made quick work of that household, quickly going to others like it. It was easy to tell that a demon had caused this plague, they just had to find it now.

"If I were a human killer, where would I hide..." Aeryn mused, looking down at the ground as she closed her eyes in thought. Lyric stood next to her, watching the Guardian. Suddenly, her head snapped up and her eyes opened abruptly, and both of them wheeled around to face their enemy.

"You!" Aeryn shouted, pointing an accusing finger at the demon a few yards away from them. The man was short, but very brawny. It made him look almost gorilla-like. But, aside from that, he had an odd red tinge to his skin, and an intricate tattoo on his left forearm. It showed L and a number, but it was too small to make out entirely.

The demon had his bulky arms folded over his chest, laughing haughtily. "Yes, me. Very quick of you, Angelican." He taunted, looking them both over, especially Lyric. The Archangel was used to it, he always got funny looks because he was so abnormal. But, this demon stared at him for a different reason, a look of triumph spreading across his grotesque features, "Well, lookit who I found!" He shouted, deep voice booming with joy. "The elusive kid, all grown up now! The boss will be happy with this one!" The demon lowered himself down into a crouch before rushing at the two of them.

Aeryn watched in mute horror, "Batu..." She finally said, jumping up and tugging Lyric out of the way of the charging demon. "Batu! s**t!" She cursed loudly, forcing Lyric to take flight with her, to get out of harms way. "We need to leave, right now! We can't tangle with this man, it won't end well at all!" She insisted.

Lyric allowed himself to be tugged along, knowing that Aeryn wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for the best. "He's just a demon, why can't we take him?" But as he said that, he ate his words, watching as the man was replaced by a humongous, lumbering, demonic bear with glowing red eyes. "...what the hell?"

"Hey, are you awake? Come on, please wake up..." A female voice pled, the voice of a slightly younger Aeryn. She stood over a much younger Lyric, the boy was disheveled and out cold. His cheeks were tinted pink, and his breathing was even. So why wasn't he waking up?

"Be patient, Aer. He'll wake up when he's ready. The human mind heals itself this way, he's been through something severely traumatic that nobody should have to go through." Another angel tried to console her, putting his hand on her shoulder. He looked very ragged in comparison to others, especially Aeryn.

The girl broke down, wheeling around and burying her face in the man's chest. "Everyone's leaving, Zac! Even you're leaving soon! What if he doesn't wake up? I'll be alone and---" She cut herself up there, allowing herself to cry uncontrollably, clinging to the other angel desperately. "Please don't leave me..."

Zac looked down at her, wrapping his arms around her comfortingly. "I'm sorry, Aeryn..." He couldn't do anything about it. His charge had died before her time, and gone straight to Hell, to boot. "I can't help it, the Counsel says I have to..."

"I'm going to really miss you..." Her best friend, her first and only love, her companion forever, was going to be condemned and her charge was comatose on the bed next to her.

She felt as if she were going to pieces.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This took me a few weeks, daydreaming of it and waiting for inspiration to hit. Plus, I'm sharing a charger with my parents, since mine died. Oh well, please review on the story if you read it! I want to know what you thought, even if it's just a simple, "I liked it, please write more!"

The next chapter will be up...I dunno when. If I give myself a deadline it'll never get done.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:54 pm
Critique:

The constant jumps in time and place make the events a little confusing. Especially since this is only the first chapter. Also, the reader is only at one place for a few paragraphs and it is hard to keep the reader focused on a particular character or event when they are changed so often.

The dialogue between the demons is a little stale and cliche. Their threats end up being almost laughable rather than fear-inducing. This would work if your goal was a parody of the genre, but I don't think that's your purpose.

I would also suggest that you proof read it again just to catch some spelling mistakes and wording problems.

Other than that. I like the idea behind it, that two humans can disrupt the "balance" between Heaven and Hell enough for Satan to send up a hit squad. I just wish that your story took place while they were alive and not already dead and imbued with angelic powers. But perhaps you'll be flashbacking? Anyway, happy writing!  

H20edDownAzn

Magmatic

Magnetic Genius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:32 pm
Just a post to bump this up from the second page.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:13 pm
Just for future, please try not to bump stuff up. You could make a new post with an updated version, but please don't just bump. It's a waste of space, no offense.  

penandpaper67
Captain

the howie

5,050 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:20 pm
Critique:

For the most part, I have to honestly agree with H20edDownAzn.

The jumps make it very hard to discern who is who, and the characters seem a bit underdeveloped (but then again that could be because this is the first chapter.) The demon's dialogue didn't seem that strange, except for the second sentence the first demon says (about being chained to the flames of Hell and never feeling comfort and such) perhaps you could break up that sentence into two smaller ones?

Plus the dusty-haired girl from the beginning never got a name, unless she's supposed to be Aeryn in the second part (which I somehow doubt). And not to knit-pick too much, but isn't five demons a bit excessive to kill two human children? wouldn't one or two powerful demons suffice?

Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games