Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Funny Moment at Work

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:30 am
So I was at work today bagging grocers like I always do. After I put all of the ladies stuff in her cart she walked away and counted her change. She suddenly comes back with a one dollar coin in her hand and says she can't take it because it doesn't say "in god we trust" on it. So the cashier gives the lady a dollar bill and she leaves. I was cracking up afterward at how stupid that was. For the hell of it I bought the coin from the cashier to remember that occasion.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:55 am
Hehe, stupid fanatics. Is it normal for $ coins to not have 'in god we trust' on them (I live in Australia, so we don't have legends on our coins...)

Oh, btw, the Benny Hinn pic is kick arse.  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:24 am
Which just proves that Americans worship their money.

In a couple of days, I'm gonna take the time to cross out the words "In God We Trust" on every dollar bill I have. Surprisingly enough, it's not illegal. As long as the dollar is still usable, you can write on it.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:07 am
Actually, the $1 coins do say "In God We Trust", it's inscribed on the outside of the coin that's normally the ridged part on say, a quarter.

However, having already solved all other problems in the country, Congresscritters have leapt into action already and passed a bill to move the phrase back to the face of the $1 coin.

I would provide an article, but all the Google hits go to places like WorldNetDaily or wacko Christian sites, and I seriously don't have the stomach to link them.

Sigh.

On a similar note that is non-religious, but equally stupid, my grandmother started throwing away dimes when they put Roosevelt's face on them.

60 years of throwing away dimes because she didn't like the guy, and she was a kid during his administration anyway.

People get indoctrinated with the weirdest things, and seem incapable of letting them go. sad  

lizzah

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 am
lizzah
Actually, the $1 coins do say "In God We Trust", it's inscribed on the outside of the coin that's normally the ridged part on say, a quarter.

However, having already solved all other problems in the country, Congresscritters have leapt into action already and passed a bill to move the phrase back to the face of the $1 coin.

I would provide an article, but all the Google hits go to places like WorldNetDaily or wacko Christian sites, and I seriously don't have the stomach to link them.

Sigh.

On a similar note that is non-religious, but equally stupid, my grandmother started throwing away dimes when they put Roosevelt's face on them.

60 years of throwing away dimes because she didn't like the guy, and she was a kid during his administration anyway.

People get indoctrinated with the weirdest things, and seem incapable of letting them go. sad
Your right. I looked at the coin again and its on the rim of the coin. But you wont notice it unless you look closely.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:19 pm
I wish they'd take that damned phrase off all of our money. I'd say that having "In God we trust" on our national currency would count as "respecting an establishment of religion"... and while it's not a law that does it, I still think it's hedging on pretty unconstitutional.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Koravin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:20 pm
CaprinaePsi

In a couple of days, I'm gonna take the time to cross out the words "In God We Trust" on every dollar bill I have. Surprisingly enough, it's not illegal. As long as the dollar is still usable, you can write on it.
I thought that was 'defacement of legal tender' or something.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:42 pm
It shouldn't be illegal, though as far as I know, purposfully grinding the legend off the rim would be... funny enough, one is allowed to drill a hole through coins in Australia, just so long as one does not drill through the queen's head, as that is taken as a threat for some reason...  

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

Dronning Dagmar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:01 am
the power of google
According to "Money Facts," at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing's website, the "defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both. Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States Secret Service. Their mailing address is: United States Secret Service 950 H Street, NW Washington, DC 20223.

Bolding mine.

I don't think crossing off some words has any such intent.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 pm
Reading this reminded me of my antique coin collection and me being a curious fellow, I went and looked at all the coins. Surprisingly, 5 out of 26 coins do not have "In God We Trust" on them....and these are ones that are dated after they started putting the slogan on currency.

They are...

Two original Buffalo Nickels from 1925 and 1937
A Barber Dime from 1901
An Indian Head Penny from 1900
and a Liberty Nickel from 1883  

Arios V

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm
CaprinaePsi

*laughs* Pretty much!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:37 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
I wish they'd take that damned phrase off all of our money. I'd say that having "In God we trust" on our national currency would count as "respecting an establishment of religion"... and while it's not a law that does it, I still think it's hedging on pretty unconstitutional.

I believe putting the phrase 'In god we trust'(which I believe is direct reference to a religion) on nationalized money would go against the constitution of the US, something about 'separation of church and state'  

Ryuuko666

Tchaik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:49 pm
User Image
Lol, I'm a cashier at a grocery store, let's work together as a team. xd

My parents let me take Sunday morning shifts, so I'm not forced into church. I always get the people stopping for their groceries on the way back from work, and they always ask me,
"It must be awful to work on a Sunday morning, isn't it?"
I just smile and tell them I don't mind, because it's no worse than working any other morning.

lol@your dollar story. Don't you love people like that. *sarcasm*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:36 pm
Ryuuko666
Daffodil the Destroyer

I believe putting the phrase 'In god we trust'(which I believe is direct reference to a religion) on nationalized money would go against the constitution of the US, something about 'separation of church and state'

It's the establishment clause of the first amendment, whic basically says that the government can't make a law establishing religion.  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 am
PhaedraMcSpiffy
Ryuuko666
Daffodil the Destroyer

It's the establishment clause of the first amendment, whic basically says that the government can't make a law establishing religion.
Yes, which is what I was alluding to. wink  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff