Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My Near-Conclusion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:39 pm
During my time as an atheist, I've given the idea of God a lot of thought. I approached the issue with the belief in the possibility of there being a God and now I'm hoping to share the near-conclusion I've reached about this God concept.

To understand the God concept, we must first define it and with the help of Answers.com, I've provided this.

Quote:
god (gŏd) pronunciation
n.

1. God
1. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
2. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
2. A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
3. An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
4. One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
5. A very handsome man.
6. A powerful ruler or despot.

So, the definition of God has a slightly wide span but we're just focusing on the supernatural aspect of God, the aspect most attribute to their God of worship. As we can see the God of most monotheistic religions is conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe. While the Gods of other more pagan/polytheistic religions could fit into the definition of a being of supernatural powers or attributes, worshiped and usually portrayed as male.

Now, before I go any further let me say that the concept of a God is a flawed concept. By our humanly understanding and concept of perfection, no Gods fit into the category of perfect. I could go into detail but as I'm dealing with other atheists here, I assume you all know of the contradictions and flaws that the Gods, we've all become familiar with, suffer from. But some could say that because they're God's they're beyond our conceivable understanding of perfection, as in, we're not able to replicate perfection so how could we know it? However, as this may be the case, they gave us our concept of them. We have no other understanding to use or base our beliefs off of other than that which was given to us by our all-mighty creators and our creators being the all-knowing beings they are knew this.

Yet, without proper understanding we're crippled in our ability to properly worship these beings that deemed themselves so worthy of our worship, in the first place. So, in actuality, all of these perfect beings are, in turn, slowly killing themselves. As new facts and understandings of our physical world are revealed we begin to detach ourselves from these Gods and their, as it seems to us, flawed logic. For instance, take any of the religions of prior societies such as the Egyptians or Greek. Why is it that presently we no longer see people making ritual sacrifices in the name of these ancient Gods. Well one quick answer would be the death of their society and culture but if their religions were the truth, as they believed it to be, then why did no other societies, that came about further down the line, pick up on these ancient religions? Well, it's arguable that they did when you compare the basics of the two religions mentions and those that came afterwards. It seems more like Judaism is just another cross-pollinated adaptation of these ancient religions. But the question I'm asking is why didn't they pick up on the actual religions themselves.

Well, my understanding leads me to believe that people looked back on these Greek and Egyptian Gods and viewed them as nothing more than fantasy. I mean, by our understanding of perfection, the Gods portrayed by these religions seem even below our standards than those presently. So, worshiping the God that was more plausible, only made sense. Yet, these Greek and Egyptian Gods are Gods none the less. What separates them from the Gods of present day?

So, to sum things up, the conclusion I've reached is that there either isn't a God or there is and if there is then they're either not perfect, all-powerful, or all-knowing, nor have they done anything in their existence that would deem them worthy of our worship, such as abolishing evil, hunger, suffering, etc... And therefore we should live our lives without acknowledging or worshiping their existence. Anyone agree or wish to add their two cents?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:04 am
There are actually Hellenic and Kemetic Reconstructionists who attempt to revive the ancient Greek and Egyptian religions. They're just not very popular, IMO with good reason. Even if they didn't exist, I don't think the fact that they didn't spread like wildfire is a very convincing point that they aren't true. If I'm from Tribe A and my tribe conquers Tribe B, I have no reason to give a flying frog fart about Tribe B's religion. Whatever it is, it will probably make me laugh, because obviously they are wrong and I am right. That's the general line of thinking, especially when your tribe just won. We won, so we're better, and our gods are better too. It's not like they sit down and debate the finer points of each religion and decide which one has more merit.

Polytheistic religions tend not to claim that their gods are perfect. I don't think the perfection issue is why those of us in the western world tend not to be polytheists. I don't know about you, but I was literally taught that monotheism was better than polytheism. In a public, non-religious school. We learned about "mythology" and how people believed in these silly things because they didn't understand as much about the world as we do now. We no longer need a god of rain, because we know how rain works. We don't need a god to pull the sun up in the morning, because we know how the solar system works. I learned that it no longer made sense to believe in multiple gods.

That basically leaves two options. Either there is one god, or there is no god. If there is one god, he/she/it could a) control all these processes we have learned about over the years, such as the rain, the rotation of the earth, and whatnot (monotheism); or b) set all the processes into action and then sit back and watch (deism). I suppose god could actually be the processes, but then why call it a god at all?

At this point, I think Occam's razor does a decent job of eliminating at least the god of monotheism. It's much simpler for there to be a system where water boils at 100ºC than for there to be a god that makes sure to boil the water, and just happens to always do it at 100ºC. It still boggles my mind that there are actually people who believe in the latter.  

Dronning Dagmar

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:04 pm
Maybe when we know everything, we won't have such a sour need for a god of everything.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:17 pm
I = Nobody
Nobody = Perfect
God = Perfect
I = God
domokun  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Kurai Keiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:06 pm
Interesting, but I must admit I was expecting a "perfection is subjective, therefore flawed" argument...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:27 pm
The way I see it, if 'god' supposedly made us in 'his' image, and he is perfect... We are not perfect. No one could ever be. So, how does an idealized falacy of perfection get so wheedled into what we are? It doesn't. Or, at leadst, it never should have...

H0wling_Blue

Pet Of Cinix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:32 am
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
I = Nobody
Nobody = Perfect
God = Perfect
I = God
domokun

Actually, there is a flaw to your "Proof"
Nobody=Nothing
Nothing=Nonexisting