Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Jurassic Park?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:04 am
The Discovery Channel recently showed a documentary about, well basically, trying to make evolution go in reverse. Scientists are examining bird DNA and trying to turn on the right genes to give the bird embryos dinosaur-like characteristics. I mentioned this to a couple of friends the other day and both of them had terrible reactions. One of them said, "It just makes me so mad when people do that!" The other one said, "The dinosaurs died for a reason!" and I replied, "Yeah, because a big chunk of rock hit the planet." Her reply was, "Yeah, a big chunk of rock that hit the planet for a reason." *shakes head*

So, what are your opinions about this. Do you think it's a case of humans "playing God" or, as atheists, do you not give a s**t about that sort of thing? Personally I don't see anything wrong with studying and trying to understand life on earth, so long as we're careful not to do anything that could accidentally cause harm. I don't think it's "playing God" at all.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:46 am
Sounds pretty cool biggrin  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 pm
Several reasons why I could be against it;

Ethics. Would the animals be treated in a humane manner? Would new laws need to be created in order to protect the animals? Not only that, but we'd also need to make sure 100% that none of them ever get out into the wild. The number of things that could go wrong here are unlimited.

Why I wouldn't be against it;

Knowledge about dinosaurs. Nuff' said.

Honestly, it wouldn't be playing god, as no god has proved its own existence and therefor, we have nothing to play. We already create life every single day, the method by which life is created shouldn't matter. As long as the animals aren't tortured, and as long as they don't ******** up nature, it shouldn't matter if the life is created in a lab, or in bed.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:16 pm
I believe we should do it, we have the ability and the power, its not like we haven't done something that went against these ethics (Dolly). And if we were never meant to "play god" and if there is some sort of super-natural super being who did not want us to do it, then we would not be able to do it.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Redem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:20 pm
They're not trying to make dinosaurs or something like that. They're trying to vinvestigate how much regressive genetics are left in the genome. It's an investigation into how evolution works, by turning off genes, or by rewriting them.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:03 am
Honestly, humans got evolutionarily jilted.

No natural armor (no fur, no plates, no scales... just soft VERY easily severed skin and flesh)

No natural weaponry (we can barely scratch, our jaws are not made for snapping or tearing, merely chewing)

all we get are these big brains. And if we don't use them, we've got nothing :

So go for it ;D  

Inferno Breeze

Xiporah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:06 am
I think it'd be awesome. Wish I'd watched the documentary.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:30 pm
It is hard to play god with life when you don't actually believe in a god.

That said, I think there could be some viable data to go towards helping humanity and all other animals if we can learn how to turn off and turn on such genes via this form of reverse genetic engineering.

However, I would want for these animals to at least have some form of ethical treatment that we create, and certainly I would not want them to get loose into the wild.

If doing this kind of research would involve what comes close to pure torture for the animals I would be against it. If not, I would be for it.

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:41 pm
Well... I suppose it would come down to ethics.

The actual processes wouldn't be terrible at all; not any worse than artificial insemination is right now, and we've refined those methods at this point.

It would be the resulting creatures. Would we perform an experiment that would result in a being whose sole purpose is to suffer? Would we at least give that creature the mercy of a comatose existence, if there exists no other way to learn what we seek? If it survives healthily, would we keep it caged and fed, or create a contained habitat for the new race we form?

Would we apply these changes to ourselves?
Would the warnings that science-fiction authors for generations now have given us be heeded?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 pm
Everyone happy? Slightly darker pink. >.>;

Either way... I think this is a very interesting concept. I'm always up for learning new things about the dinosaurs. ^_^ As for it going against God... I don't believe, so it doesn't both me at all.

Does anyone know the name of this documentary or where it might be posted?

OmG NoMoR3

Killian Darkwater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:27 am
Inferno Breeze
Honestly, humans got evolutionarily jilted.

No natural armor (no fur, no plates, no scales... just soft VERY easily severed skin and flesh)

No natural weaponry (we can barely scratch, our jaws are not made for snapping or tearing, merely chewing)

all we get are these big brains. And if we don't use them, we've got nothing :

So go for it ;D

I'm grateful we have nice big brains. It's a hella lot easier to think of something to get yourself out of a hole than to grow wings and fly out of it.

Oh yes--and dinosaurs are teh awesome. The most we've had to play with to find out anything are ancient bones. Wouldn't it be nice to have a living replica to study? (Well, somewhat of a replica.)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:11 pm
This sounds really interesting. As long as the animals are treated well I'm not against it.  

Zambimaru

Koravin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:22 pm
I agree with much of what has been said. Ethical animal treatment would be my only concern. I don't understand why people think making new animals is playing God, but breeding dogs is just fine. It's the same thing, just more advanced.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games