A story about the end of the world.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

End of the World!
  Oh No!
  Eh. *shrug*
  Silly person. The world isn't going to end.
View Results

EmilyScissorhands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:12 pm
Okay, this story is a complete and utter mess. I wrote this tonight, and I have no idea why I'm posting it. I just feel like I should do something with it instead of simply leaving it on my computer to waste away.

Perhaps someone will find some entertainment in this tale.

I was reading about the end of the world when I began writing this... I had no idea how it would end, or what would happen until I began writing it. It just sort-of led itself to this particular conclusion.

This story really bugs me... Oh, well. Here you go! A brief tale about the end of the world.

It was the end of the world as we knew it.

John shivered in the cold outside, pulling his coat tighter around his body. Snow lightly graced his dark hair, coated his shoulder, and melted against his dark skin. His steps were slow and even as he walked down the empty street. The occasional streetlight would highlight his form only briefly before he fell into shadows once more.

He wished someone would have believed him when he said that tonight, on this cold December night, all breaths would cease and the sky would fall upon the earth and all reality would collapse. Then an overwhelming sense of apathy overtook him, and he instead wished he could feel something at that moment, something to remember life by.

If every living creature fell dead, would this universe still exist? Or was the universe just held together by a person’s awareness of it? He sighed, clouds billowing upward from his lips as he considered the pointless philosophical question. It reminded him of a question someone asked him as a child: If a tree fell while no one was around, would it still make noise?

In the end, did it really matter?

It was probably better this way, that no one really believed him. A worldwide panic would not have helped this situation, and he doubted scientists could have stopped this inevitable event. At least it was peaceful… He doubted anyone else even saw this coming.

It was the first hour of the apocalypse when he at last paused to examine his surroundings. The sky was already bleeding streaks of red and indigo onto the horizon. Stars littered the midnight. Connect the dots, and one could see the cracks leading to Heaven. The firmament had already begun to shatter.

John stared heavenward for a long moment before continuing on his way to nowhere. There was a long crack that split the sky in half and vanished over the horizon. He followed that like a map, hoping it would lead him somewhere.

There was a couple on a bench that noticed his upward gaze and followed it. Their gaze lifted in curiosity to see what had fascinated him, but of course, they noticed nothing out of the ordinary. To their eyes, the sky was covered with the dull gray clouds that brought them the snow. The female shrugged to her partner, then leaned forward for a kiss.

It couldn’t have been more than five minutes later. Two inhuman dark shadows moved swiftly along the sides of the road, their soft growl sending a chill down John’s spine. They were too large to be a dog, too fast and graceful to be a bear. Behind him, he heard the couple scream briefly, then a violent growl and claws scraping against gravel. And the world fell silent once more.

John continued forward.

He wondered how many people were dying by those creatures’ claws.
How many people were aware that this was even happening? That others were dying suddenly from unnatural heart attacks, monsters that didn’t exist until this very night, and unexpected objects falling from the sky?

He reached a dead end and couldn’t find the mirth to laugh at the irony. With arms spread wide, he tilted his head back and closed his eyes, praying to whatever higher power that he would leave the earth quickly.

A loud, threatening growl sounded behind him. He didn’t look back. He didn’t scream.

The last hope for humanity was one of the first to die.

Then the earth fell into complete darkness, and all electricity failed. The rest of humanity was slaughtered in the dead of night, blind to the end of the world.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:01 pm
disturbing, yet well put together.  

Super Buick

The Writer's Block

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas