The Book Thief Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 am
I kind of talked about this book in another thread, but it is so good. It's about the Holocaust, but it's really different. It's from the point of view of a young girl who is not in fact Jewish. I just say that because a lot of the Holocaust books I've heard of are from the point of view of a Jew. The author, Markus Zusak, really makes the plot interesting, along with carrying across many powerful messages.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:16 pm
Yes! Seriously amazing book! A narration by Death? Truly amazing. I love Markus Zusak, and have read several of his books! I could truly glomp this author!

If you've read The Book Theif, have you read The Messenger (or I Am the Messenger)? AMAZING! Except for the end. The end was cheesey. But THE REST OF THE BOOK BLASTED APART MY BRAIN! Seriously. It's that amazing!  

serephemeral
Crew

Azaraih

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:57 pm
Wow, The Book Thief is probably one of the best books I've read in a while. I bought it along with a bunch of other books and kind of forgot about it, but then I finally read it and... wow. I love Markus Zusak's writing style and originality. And I Am the Messenger was great too... except for the end. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 am
I haven't had a chance to read I Am the Messenger yet, but I've been wanting to for a while...  

penandpaper67
Captain

UberTumbleweed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 am
I like that Zusak made the people willingly involved in the Nazi organizations sympathetic characters. The characters you felt for weren't just the ones forced into participation. And I liked that. Most books forget that those people were people too, whether or not anyone now sees those actions as a "good" thing.

Also, his writing style was just amazing. It was perfectly suited to the story he was telling. It made it just that much more effective.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:41 am
I haven't read this book yet myself, but I've seen it in the school's library. Would you guys recommend it to someone who usually reads fantasy? (My favorite genre is fantasy and sci-fi)  

Aurora Tate

Orenji Fukshino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:55 pm
penandpaper67
I kind of talked about this book in another thread, but it is so good. It's about the Holocaust, but it's really different. It's from the point of view of a young girl who is not in fact Jewish. I just say that because a lot of the Holocaust books I've heard of are from the point of view of a Jew. The author, Markus Zusak, really makes the plot interesting, along with carrying across many powerful messages.

First of all, it's from death's point of view, not the girl's. But yes, that what sets it apart and makes it so amazing! It's from a non-mortals point of view! He is the first one to ever depict the Holocaust in that form!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:37 pm
Orenji Fukshino
penandpaper67

First of all, it's from death's point of view, not the girl's. But yes, that what sets it apart and makes it so amazing! It's from a non-mortals point of view! He is the first one to ever depict the Holocaust in that form!

I shouldn't have written point of view, sorry. Wrong phrase... I should have said "It is about..." Of course I knew it was from Death's POV... Stupid mistake.  

penandpaper67
Captain

soccerstars10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:32 am
*currently reading it* ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:24 pm
I Am the Messenger is good. I picked it up a while ago. I liked The Book Thief better though; I could connect to it more, I guess.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Lynnden_472

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:10 pm
heart ed it  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:54 pm
I've seen this book so many times...

It's a holocaust book? Always looking for a good holocaust book. I'll defiantly pick this one up.  

Collote
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:30 am
Collote
I've seen this book so many times...

It's a holocaust book? Always looking for a good holocaust book. I'll defiantly pick this one up.

It's a holocaust book from a different point of view from what you normally see. Kind of like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but the plot is way more developed and it's not told from the point of view of a kid, it's about a kid. It's told by the point of view of Death, as said before in the thread.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm
I have this book and I'm reading it now!
I keep putting off the last few chapters because I know someone is going to die and he's my second favorite character.
D:
Other than that, this book is really good. I love the way this story is told. The thing that I really love is when you see Max's first story (The Standover Man)and in the background you can read passages from Mein Kampf.

SuffocatedHope

Meanerz

1,800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:12 pm
I started the book last night. In the beginig, it was very confusing. Does it get easier to understand?  
Other Genres

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff